Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Missing Malaysian plane

Comments

• Is that phone thing actually true though or just another internet rumour?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-eerie-moment-3222919
    All the comments on there seemed to read my mind: surely this enables some form of tracing?

From my understanding, the way usual mobile phone tracing is conducted relies upon there being multiple base stations to triangulate from - the more stations to use, the more accurate. But worst case scenario they would at least have the maximum range of one cell phone tower to conduct a search in.

My geography is pretty poor so I can't comment on the area/terrain - but surely this could also suggest the flight having made it as far as Cambodia/Southern Vietnam. It would leave a mystery with regards to the plane losing communications and going off-radar, but what's the difference between one mystery and two?
  • Maybe the phone was left at home..
  • Wouldn't all the phones have been on airplane mode anyway (or should have been) so wouldn't be ringing regardless.....?

Don't think anyone really does this..
  • smiffyboy said:

I read somewhere that it was involved in an accident a while back where it had the tip of a wing break off when it crashed into another aeroplane while taxing to the run way .

That might prove to be telling if true. Pretty clear it has gone down now - either debris hasn't been found or possibly it sank pretty much intact!
  • They are now looking at the sea to the west of Malaysia, considering the original flight path went to the north-east this seems a bit odd.
  • Planes touch wings on a fairly regular basis, and the tip was not "broken off". It was checked out and declared safe. No evidence that this was a possible cause of a crash yet, because there is no evidence!
    What I don't understand is how a plane can turn around and cross the Malaysian Peninsular (as they now seem to think) without anyone knowing this for sure?
    Planes in this part of the world often fly quiet (without much ground control contact), and often divert from the planned route (marginally) due to weather avoidance (huge storm clouds are not good to fly through...), but should never be hundreds of miles off course and going in the wrong direction.
    If it was this far off course, it must suggest hijacking of some sort?
    Could the plane possibly turn up in the Philippines or Indonesia somewhere intact? Be amazing, and worrying if it did, but great for the passengers. Sadly, I think it has crashed somewhere though, and for some weird reason it has yet to be found....
  • Pedro45 said:

Planes touch wings on a fairly regular basis, and the tip was not "broken off". It was checked out and declared safe. No evidence that this was a possible cause of a crash yet, because there is no evidence!
    What I don't understand is how a plane can turn around and cross the Malaysian Peninsular (as they now seem to think) without anyone knowing this for sure?
    Planes in this part of the world often fly quiet (without much ground control contact), and often divert from the planned route (marginally) due to weather avoidance (huge storm clouds are not good to fly through...), but should never be hundreds of miles off course and going in the wrong direction.
    If it was this far off course, it must suggest hijacking of some sort?
    Could the plane possibly turn up in the Philippines or Indonesia somewhere intact? Be amazing, and worrying if it did, but great for the passengers. Sadly, I think it has crashed somewhere though, and for some weird reason it has yet to be found....

Very little chance the plane could have landed anywhere without detection because it would have been picked up by coastal radar and would need permission to land from ATC at whatever location it tried to land at.

There are apparently some places - Somalia - where you could land without permission because it's lawless but there was not enough fuel to get there.

We will know nothing till the Black Box is found.

• smiffyboy said:

I read somewhere that it was involved in an accident a while back where it had the tip of a wing break off when it crashed into another aeroplane while taxing to the run way .

That might prove to be telling if true. Pretty clear it has gone down now - either debris hasn't been found or possibly it sank pretty much intact!

I'm no expert but it is surely virtually impossible for a plane to hit the water and sink intact
  • smiffyboy said:

I'm no expert but it is surely virtually impossible for a plane to hit the water and sink intact
    No it would break up but the wreckage would be restricted to a small area, if it broke up in mid-air then the wreckage would be over a huge area.

• Very little chance the plane could have landed anywhere without detection because it would have been picked up by coastal radar and would need permission to land from ATC at whatever location it tried to land at.

There are apparently some places - Somalia - where you could land without permission because it's lawless but there was not enough fuel to get there.

We will know nothing till the Black Box is found.

But parts of the Philppines and Indonesia do have lax ATC...and as for coastal radar, Malaysia aren't sure what side of the country the plane is/was, so that hasn't worked in this case... I know it's a long-shot, but what the hell is going on?
    We will have an idea what happened well before the black box is found, because there just has to be wreckage (if it has crashed) somewhere?
  • Sponsored links:

• I read 20 pages of Prague's link while on a plane. I don't advise it!

There's a lot of very in the know aviation experts speculating on there. I don't think we should try and do the same!!
  • Didnt the plane that went into the Hudson land okay though?... that didnt break up
  • Planes can and do land on water, with minimal damage. It could then have sunk, but that is unlikely without anyone getting (or trying to get) off. There would be some indication, and a mayday sent, or position beacons beaming. It is just weird.
  • Didnt the plane that went into the Hudson land okay though?... that didnt break up

That was only 2-3 minutes into it's flight so had barely any height to fall from, this one was 35k feet up, not a hope in hell it would land on water intact.
  • Pedro45 said:

Planes can and do land on water, with minimal damage. It could then have sunk, but that is unlikely without anyone getting (or trying to get) off. There would be some indication, and a mayday sent, or position beacons beaming. It is just weird.

The only occasion I am aware of - there is actually video footage of it - when a passenger jet landed on the ocean even half successfully was that plane that got hijacked and the pilot ditched into the ocean off of the Comoros Islands.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WE2Yn0cipTY&autoplay=1

As you see the plane broke up but there were quite a few survivors.
  • I think it was John Locke in Lost who said planes can land on water, and the buoyancy will keep them afloat long enough to escape. Of course, this was in the afterlife world, long after he was strangled to death, so I'm not sure if he was telling the truth.
  • Yes, the ocean is one thing, and soon after take-off is another, when landing on water. I have myself seen a harrier come down in the sea, 100% intact (bar the pilot and ejector seat) after stalling. One official theory was that if both engines failed, the plane could glide for up to 100 miles from 35k feet, so if it did that it could have come down on water at not too fast a speed or poor angle. But that does not explain the radio silence. But this is all speculation, and it is just so weird that nobody knows what happened or where the bloomin' thing is?!?
  • Would it have been possible that the plane could have entered the sea at the exact trajectory that it went straight to the bottom of the ocean without breaking into pieces, leaving no debris?
  • And dont forget, the last radar contact was a 2:40am. Highly unlikely they would be able to land on water with night time visability...
  • Would it have been possible that the plane could have entered the sea at the exact trajectory that it went straight to the bottom of the ocean without breaking into pieces, leaving no debris?

Based on what I've read on that other forum, almost no chance. But there is a very good chance nothing will be found for many days. As someone said on there, the process does not suit rolling news and social media's appetitie for updates.
  • Sponsored links:

on a river and in the middle of the ocean are going to have completely different concequences
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Would it have been possible that the plane could have entered the sea at the exact trajectory that it went straight to the bottom of the ocean without breaking into pieces, leaving no debris?

Based on what I've read on that other forum, almost no chance. But there is a very good chance nothing will be found for many days. As someone said on there, the process does not suit rolling news and social media's appetitie for updates.
    Ain't that the truth!

It's a tragic situation for sure but also very funny to see the media desperately trawling for ANYTHING they can find that is news worthy despite the fact that the only news is that there is no news.
  • I'm not having this mobile phone thing. Apparently 19 of them are still ringing when contacted. So we're expected to believe that 19 phones still have battery life after THREE days! Really? And assuming the plane has either crashed and caught fire or disintegrated and ended up in the water, would even 1 phone survive that, never mind 3?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Would it have been possible that the plane could have entered the sea at the exact trajectory that it went straight to the bottom of the ocean without breaking into pieces, leaving no debris?

Page 83 shows an example of no debris on a crash landing

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-83.html
  • I'm not having this mobile phone thing. Apparently 19 of them are still ringing when contacted. So we're expected to believe that 19 phones still have battery life after THREE days! Really? And assuming the plane has either crashed and caught fire or disintegrated and ended up in the water, would even 1 phone survive that, never mind 3?

I cant even get a reception in my kitchen let alone middle of the fckin ocean

• So the view of the pilots on the other forum is that it may have lost all communication during a major failure, and the pilots tried by compass to navigate back to KL. This flew them over the Malayan peninsula (at night, during a major crisis, so they could have not seen land)), and out to the middle of the Mallaccan Straits (where it was last tracked my military radar). It is possible that the plane came down near here (though this is a major shipping lane and you would have expected debris to be found) or it flew on to Sumatra (which the pilots may have mistaken for the Malayan peninsula) at which point they turned south hoping to find KL, but obviously did not. The plane could, therefore, be off the west coast of Banda Aceh somewhere? It is not thought that it could land on any of the local islands (Nicobar, or Indonesian for instance) without some knowledge of the locals seeping out. All hypothesising of course...
  • edited March 2014
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578020/Why-cellphones-missing-Malaysian-Airlines-passengers-ringing-Family-members-claim-loved-ones-smartphones-active.html

Have a look at the pictures of the two stolen passport blokes released by authorities.

Same legs. Definitely been altered that photo.
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578020/Why-cellphones-missing-Malaysian-Airlines-passengers-ringing-Family-members-claim-loved-ones-smartphones-active.html

Have a look at the pictures of the two fake passport blokes released by authorities.

Same legs. Definitely been altered that photo.

lol you can see a photoshop line running through the middle, something is being covered up
  • Sorry if I'm being naive. But if their phones were on would that not be a possible cause of problems in the air?