Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big spending clubs to mount legal challenge to financial fair play.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Apparently Bournemouth's sponsor is a made up company purely 'existing' so that their owner can pump in more money under the radar. Their owner has more money than Abramovich and they're bloody dodgy.
  • Options
    Bournemouth are one of this seasons QPR IMO, football justice will hopefully be served this time and they will miss out on promotion.

I don't wanna hear any Bournemouth fans bemoaning when it all goes wrong and they need saving, they should be asking questions now about seeming to make a habit of losing 15 million a season not when their russian owner gets bored with his latest toy and wants a return on his spending.
  • Options
    If the owner wants to burn his money (not rack up debt) on Bournemouth then that's his choice
    Although the cleanliness of his money is a different subject
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The articles i have read suggest he is loaning them a good percentage of the money, which is why Bournmouth fans should be worried now.

If i have misread then much of my complaints about them i take back.

We all want success at our club but i would never want short term success if it risked Charlton as a club for future generations of my family.

• Options
    Their owner has lent the money to the club so the club is racking up debts. They lost £16M on a turnover of £5.1M - mental.

There will not be a club called Bournemouth within 5 years as this Russian will either disappear or other and no one else will be interested.
  • Options
    I'm sure Roland Duchatalet could afford to spend like Bournemouth to aim for promotion - but I don't think he is keen on the financial instability that would ensue. It sounds like Bournemouth are high and dry if the owner were to pull out - that's not sustainable in the long term, is it?

I do get frustrated that Roland is not forthcoming with a lot of dosh - but if his vision is to see us in the premiership but having got there sustainably I'd take that over the alternative. I still think he needs to invest this transfer window. Cannily. Promotion isn't he aim, I'm sure, but retaining a place in the Championship is the absolute minimum.

There's just too much money in football. Players are ridiculously overpaid, agents leech their cut of any deal. He average working class man can't afford to watch the likes of Arsenal let alone take his kids with him too. I'd never want to think that CAFC could be so exclusive as that.

• Options
    People talking about Bournemouth thy received more money from the Lallana deal than most clubs received in the whole of the summer on transfers
  • Options

Their owner has lent the money to the club so the club is racking up debts. They lost £16M on a turnover of £5.1M - mental.

There will not be a club called Bournemouth within 5 years as this Russian will either disappear or other and no one else will be interested.

If Bournemouth are a premier league club then a) he's unlikely to disappear and b) there would be plenty of interested parties if he did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People have been saying for years that "Chelsea will implode when Abramavitch loses interest " but no sign of that happening. No reason this guy will either and perhaps for the same reasons. Being a premier league owner gives Roman protection from Putin according to some.

Some say that. Although I have met others - credible Charlton supporters working in "high finance" in this region - who say it's a lot cosier than that. Their version is that 50% of his dosh is reserved for Vlad.

As for the Boumnemouth geezer, has he ever explained "why Bournemouth"? I suppose it will be something inane like, he can moor his "Yacht" in Poole Harbour. And probably live on it so that he can claim his non-domicile status.

Or do I do him a disservice and he belongs to a long line of Russians who lived in Hampshire?

Never mind the poor asylum seekers. Kick these two out, or make them pay tax as UK residents.
  • Options

People talking about Bournemouth thy received more money from the Lallana deal than most clubs received in the whole of the summer on transfers

Indeed!
    Bournemouth only avoided joining Forest and Blackburn with a player registration ban this month because the Lallana deal took their losses below last season's limits.

FFP rules are changing for next season and doubling the limits again. We have heard David Joyes gnashing his teeth and we have our chance to take our revenge on Brighton next week - their vote changing swung the vote.

The big question is what is the CAFC response from M.Duchatelet? There are many, many threads and posts on here pointing out the bleeding obvious - we need one or two more quality strikers to compete plus quality elsewhere. How are we going to prepare for 2015-16 because the competition can only get tougher with the average club having the potential to spend an additional £7m after executing £2m cuts in the last season.

In short, whoever arrives in January, we should be able to bumble through to May, but next season will require a significant step up to make progress.

As for Bournemouth, fair play to them! They've built a decent team for a lot less than QPR and Leicester. There's no way the owner will pull the plug given the FAPL prize. For sure he might find it expensive trying to stay there but maybe he will settle for yo-yo status? I suspect he's spent less than Bristol City up the road and shows what you can do by backing the coach and developing the squad over time.

I hope we see the same at Charlton and I don't think it will cost nearly as much.

• Options
    What some of you seem to forget when you get angry about Bournemouth is that the current Charlton model, whatever it may be, isn't sustainable in the Championship, either. We too are losing many millions every year, even with a paper thin senior squad. How long before RD loses patience?

If I was a Bournemouth or Leicester or QPR fan, I'd say live for the moment and enjoy it. There is as much probability there will always be a club by that name as there is that there will always be a CAFC or Smallwall.
  • Options

People have been saying for years that "Chelsea will implode when Abramavitch loses interest " but no sign of that happening. No reason this guy will either and perhaps for the same reasons. Being a premier league owner gives Roman protection from Putin according to some.

Some say that. Although I have met others - credible Charlton supporters working in "high finance" in this region - who say it's a lot cosier than that. Their version is that 50% of his dosh is reserved for Vlad.

As for the Boumnemouth geezer, has he ever explained "why Bournemouth"? I suppose it will be something inane like, he can moor his "Yacht" in Poole Harbour. And probably live on it so that he can claim his non-domicile status.

Or do I do him a disservice and he belongs to a long line of Russians who lived in Hampshire?

Never mind the poor asylum seekers. Kick these two out, or make them pay tax as UK residents.
    Eddie Mitchell's company built him a very nice place in Sandbanks @PragueAddick‌. Local lad made good???
  • Options

What some of you seem to forget when you get angry about Bournemouth is that the current Charlton model, whatever it may be, isn't sustainable in the Championship, either. We too are losing many millions every year, even with a paper thin senior squad. How long before RD loses patience?

If I was a Bournemouth or Leicester or QPR fan, I'd say live for the moment and enjoy it. There is as much probability there will always be a club by that name as there is that there will always be a CAFC or Smallwall.

It's not sustainable unless you view it as rich people buying a £10m ticket at a raffle in order to win the prize of promotion and £80m media rights.
    The problem is that QPR and Leicester broke the rules and the punishment comes after the event.
    Unsustainabilty kicks in with Clubs like wigan, Blackburn, Bolton and Blackpool who have enjoyed their holiday in the sun but are struggling with bills... And then the Parachute money dries up! Blackpool gone, Birmingham in their last year(?).
    The numbers get bigger so the crashes will be bigger... HMRC have been lobbying for a law change to stop football creditors having priority. This might change things because players might look at the club finances before signing a 4 year deal?
    And when it comes to Millwall? They arebheading for the drop and losing £10m a year - their backer might not have appetite to rescue them?
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Apparently Bournemouth's sponsor is a made up company purely 'existing' so that their owner can pump in more money under the radar. Their owner has more money than Abramovich and they're bloody dodgy.

It's something I said a long time back when the FFP was first mentioned. An easy loop-hole, where, if I were a multi billionnaire, there's nothing to stop me buying the local mini-mart corner shop and getting them to sponsor the kit for however much I'm willing to throw at the club.

For this (and many other reasons) is why FFP, with all it's good intentions, will never work all the time there's a pot of gold on offer..............
  • Options

Not The Impaler, PA ?

• Options
    edited January 2015

It's not sustainable unless you view it as rich people buying a £10m ticket at a raffle in order to win the prize of promotion and £80m media rights.
    The problem is that QPR and Leicester broke the rules and the punishment comes after the event.
    Unsustainabilty kicks in with Clubs like wigan, Blackburn, Bolton and Blackpool who have enjoyed their holiday in the sun but are struggling with bills... And then the Parachute money dries up! Blackpool gone, Birmingham in their last year(?).
    The numbers get bigger so the crashes will be bigger... HMRC have been lobbying for a law change to stop football creditors having priority. This might change things because players might look at the club finances before signing a 4 year deal?
    And when it comes to Millwall? They arebheading for the drop and losing £10m a year - their backer might not have appetite to rescue them?
    I accept all that. It's common sense, or it appears to be, but they're all still alive and kicking. I stick by my statement: there is as much probability there will always be a club by the name of [insert your own yardstick of financial incontinence] as there is that there will always be a CAFC. That's the bottom line for fans, isn't it?
  • Options
    Is it not shameful as fans though that we just accept that is how football works, throw as much money as possible for some short term glory, as it does not matter if the club folds we can start again, im embarressed by that point of view(no offence intended).
  • Options
    The point was that FFP was starting to have an impact - our division is tighter than ever as a result and the quality of the management, coaching and academy have as much of an impact as the thickness of the owners wallet.

I suspect that within five years we will see another club or two meltdown. Will they come back the following day? Or will they have to start from scratch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I accept all that. It's common sense, or it appears to be, but they're all still alive and kicking. I stick by my statement: there is as much probability there will always be a club by the name of [insert your own yardstick of financial incontinence] as there is that there will always be a CAFC. That's the bottom line for fans, isn't it?
    The risk, though, is that a decent Championship club had a few years in the Premier League, followed by a decade in the third and/or forth division.

Also, sooner or later, the Government will do something to stop the boom and bust of football clubs from being unpunished.

Look at Rangers. They might not be challenging Celtic for another ten years. I wouldn't want to spend another spell in the third division, not even for a five year spell in the Premier League.
  • Options

If Bournemouth are a premier league club then a) he's unlikely to disappear and b) there would be plenty of interested parties if he did
    Sorry, I don't buy this. They are a small club with 10,000 fans. This bloke will disappear because it will turn out he does not have the money everyone thinks like the bloke at Pompey or because Vad decides to bump him off or similar...plenty of reasons why Russian billions can disappear very quickly.
  • Options

Is it not shameful as fans though that we just accept that is how football works, throw as much money as possible for some short term glory, as it does not matter if the club folds we can start again, im embarressed by that point of view(no offence intended).

Fans are powerless one way or the other. Most probably condoned it when their clubs started to rack up debts because they didn't understand what was happening. It's still very difficult to get a grasp of what the cricket score debts mean. And, as someone said earlier in this thread, let's be honest, if RD was to gamble, say, an extra £10 million to get us promoted this season, do you think our fans would protest like some of the Carl Zeiss Jena fans did?

And KHA, I don't really buy the argument that the Government will intervene meaningfully. When the Coalition was new and pushing the austerity message hard, they rattled their sabres at the Football League, but they've gone pretty quiet since then. Why didn't they make noises when the Championship FFP got watered down again? Answer - election coming; the only long-term thing in UK politics is short-termism.
  • Options
    I don't really accept that fans are powerless if any clubs history can prove that, it is ours.

I do sadly accept that a majority of fans at Charlton and others club would probably be ok with the gamble for short term success, does not make it right though IMO, i wanna see Charlton playing in the top tier of English football again sooner rather then later, dreaming of a shot in the Europa League but not at the risk of not having a Charlton at the Valley for future generations of my family to support.
  • Options

Fans are powerless one way or the other. Most probably condoned it when their clubs started to rack up debts because they didn't understand what was happening. It's still very difficult to get a grasp of what the cricket score debts mean. And, as someone said earlier in this thread, let's be honest, if RD was to gamble, say, an extra £10 million to get us promoted this season, do you think our fans would protest like some of the Carl Zeiss Jena fans did?

And KHA, I don't really buy the argument that the Government will intervene meaningfully. When the Coalition was new and pushing the austerity message hard, they rattled their sabres at the Football League, but they've gone pretty quiet since then. Why didn't they make noises when the Championship FFP got watered down again? Answer - election coming; the only long-term thing in UK politics is short-termism.
    Much as we love football, ought it really to be a priority for a government of any colour? Where does it rank with the public as a whole alongside issues like the banks, the economy, the NHS, immigration, etc . . . absolutely nowhere, and rightly so!
  • Options

Much as we love football, ought it really to be a priority for a government of any colour? Where does it rank with the public as a whole alongside issues like the banks, the economy, the NHS, immigration, etc . . . absolutely nowhere, and rightly so!
    Do you know, I could swear I recall some political party whose only manifesto point was football related, and the unwashed uneducated upstarts took 12% of the vote. Couple of Labour Party big shots (whom you'd expect to have been most sympathetic towards the people's game) had their careers permanently damaged by the result. Damn, where and when was it, can anyone remember?
  • Options
    Post of the year Prague...............so far:-)
  • Options

Post of the year Prague...............so far:-)

Oh don't worry, Airman will sort me out good and proper for my impertinence :-)