Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    Going to do a 10k this year, and maybe the Big Half next year, I'll then make a decision, kids will be a bit older so there is time for the training, although I'm tempted for a pop at a sub 6 hour Ride London 100 in 2020/21 instead 
  • Options

Just done my 1st one 20 years older than you! go for it enter the ballot now if you  don't  get a place go for a charity place in October it a brilliant experience   

• Options

My missus and kids reckon I should have a crack.

will be 45 by the next marathon, relatively good fitness levels (still playing vets football etc) however 30+ years of playing mean sore back/knees/ankles etc, standard wear and tear

something I've always fancied doing and probably should've done it long before now.

I'd need a really good training schedule and more importantly to be committed and stick to it....would be easier now that the kids are getting a bit older and I'd have a bit more time to dedicate to it.

I'd be sorely tempted if I could get a place.

The 'Non marathon runners training schedule' by David Whitsett is the book for you.
    I found it the best schedule of all if your intention is to get round and finish.
    If, however, you have a time target it isn't the book to go to.
    Good luck.
  • Options

My missus and kids reckon I should have a crack.

will be 45 by the next marathon, relatively good fitness levels (still playing vets football etc) however 30+ years of playing mean sore back/knees/ankles etc, standard wear and tear

something I've always fancied doing and probably should've done it long before now.

I'd need a really good training schedule and more importantly to be committed and stick to it....would be easier now that the kids are getting a bit older and I'd have a bit more time to dedicate to it.

I'd be sorely tempted if I could get a place.

You should give it a go, although unless you go for a charity place you’re unlikely to get into London. But there are plenty of other good marathons at around the same time where you will definitely get a place if you book nowish. Brighton, Manchester, Edinburgh to name three, so you can fall back on these should you not get into London. 
  • Options
    A lot of first time entrants that got into the race based on those I spoke to yesterday. 

I was on entry 7 or 8!
  • Options
    I think the odds of getting a ballot place now are pretty slim - you used to be guaranteed a place after 4 (?) rejections but that disappeared a few years ago as the maths stopped working.

I've now done it twice - hated both occassions but woke up the next morning and signed up again - its a bit addictive.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Going to do a 10k this year, and maybe the Big Half next year, I'll then make a decision, kids will be a bit older so there is time for the training, although I'm tempted for a pop at a sub 6 hour Ride London 100 in 2020/21 instead 
    Can recommend The Big Half - have done it for the last couple of years and it is a well run event, as you'd expect as it's done by the London Marathon company.

And it was cold in the days post-snow last year, and blowing a gale this, so hopefully due something a bit more benign next time.
  • Options
    Southampton defender Francis Benali has nearly completed his first iron man triathlon

only problem is he has 6 more to go.

he’s attempting 7 iron mans in 7 days

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/
  • Options
    In October a bloke at work did 30 half marathons in 30 days. 
  • Options
    Southampton defender Francis Benali has nearly completed his first iron man triathlon

only problem is he has 6 more to go.

he’s attempting 7 iron mans in 7 days

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/
    Just 1 ironman is the stuff of legends.  But 7 in 7 days?  Just wow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

Ran the BUPA London 10k a couple of years back, didn't do a stitch of training, just literally put on a new pair of trainers and ran it in 47 mins, no warm down and then was in pieces for about 3 days after ;)

will up my game for a longer run I think !!

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I did the BH this year. My first. Didn’t enjoy it at all. It was terrible weather but no crowds or atmosphere. Put me off doing another. I think the London landmarks looks better. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Ran the BUPA London 10k a couple of years back, didn't do a stitch of training, just literally put on a new pair of trainers and ran it in 47 mins, no warm down and then was in pieces for about 3 days after ;)

will up my game for a longer run I think !!

I hate you 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    5 marathons in 5 days
    7 ironmans in 7 days

big rise in ‘ultra’ events over the last five years.

Surely it can’t do your vital organs and joints any good such sustained and punishing activity (with all the necessary training to go with it)? 
  • Options
    5 marathons in 5 days
    7 ironmans in 7 days

big rise in ‘ultra’ events over the last five years.

Surely it can’t do your vital organs and joints any good such sustained and punishing activity (with all the necessary training to go with it)? 
    Just finished a superb book "Can't Hurt Me" by former US navy seal cum ultra runner David Goggins. Highly recommend it and very inspirational.

Have entered the ballot for next year too and will keep fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Just signed up for the Paris marathon in April 2020. Been unsuccessful in the London ballot for the past 10 years. 
  • Options
    Just signed up for the Paris marathon in April 2020. Been unsuccessful in the London ballot for the past 10 years. 
    Fab marathon, was my very first in 2014.  Just watch out for the cobbles in places.  Amsterdam and Berlin are great too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Fab marathon, was my very first in 2014.  Just watch out for the cobbles in places.  Amsterdam and Berlin are great too.
    Run through the Red Light District must be off putting and must affect a few times surely?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    It'll be my first too.  Ah that's good to hear, looked at the Amsterdam but opted for the Paris based on when it was.  October 2019 is a bit soon!
  • Options
    Did the Paris marathon a couple of weeks ago, great course, mostly flat and great support. Good for PB's and plenty of drink stations with loads of snacks throughout
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Run through the Red Light District must be off putting and must affect a few times surely?
    Amsterdam was memorable for a few reasons.

Was the first trip abroad with my now wife.  I booked the hotel.  Arrived to find our bathroom was just a part of our bedroom rather than a separate room in the bedroom.  We were both horrified.  Not as horrified as I was when the carb loading involved a posh restaurant on the Sat night and the food was so rich I ended up with a full bout of IBS which emptied my body of my entire carb loading for the 72hrs previous!  How we were still together after that weekend I'll never know!

Anyway, had no right to start that marathon let alone finish it but I did in just over 4:30.  Absolute miracle.  The first 10 miles is nice but then it takes you out to the sticks along a canal and back.  That was soul destroying and reminded me of the last 10 miles at Brighton.

However, Amsterdam will always go down in my memory as the one where a hot blonde had one too many energy gels by 13-14 miles and had been unlucky enough to follow through and she was using the race sponges to wipe the back of her lycra shorts but she had it all down the backs of her legs.  Ewe. That canal section was unforgiving as there were no portaloos anywhere and either side of the course was either a canal or a huge ditch.  The hugely unglamorous side of marathon running that effects an awful lot of people and they get caught out.  Always carried inmodium with me just in case!

Sorry for bringing the tone down!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    One of my running buddies further extended her World Record yesterday, for the most number of marathons completed for a woman in 365 days.  The small matter of 178.

The VLM was her 392nd in total.

Just dont know how she does it...or affords it!  (We all know how much marathons cost!) Absolutely insane.  Even more remarkable considering she suffers from extreme hyper mobility and was expected to be in a wheelchair by the age of 35!

Oh, she ran her 393rd today lol...

• Options
    Just entered the ballot for 2020.
    If I get in it'll be my third London Marathon.
  • Options
    All the best. I stopped myself from entering the ballot earlier.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    iainment said:
    Seems to be very hard to get in through the ballot these days, trying for the third time in last five or so years. Ran it 4 times in the 90s, two of those entries were via club places. Good luck, I shall be looking at alternatives too with the possibility of rolling the training on from one marathon to another e.g. Barcelona, Brighton etc
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Seems to be very hard to get in through the ballot these days, trying for the third time in last five or so years. Ran it 4 times in the 90s, two of those entries were via club places. Good luck, I shall be looking at alternatives too with the possibility of rolling the training on from one marathon to another e.g. Barcelona, Brighton etc

If I don't get in I might try the Dublin or Cork Marathon next year.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Seems to be very hard to get in through the ballot these days, trying for the third time in last five or so years. 
    The ballot got over 400,000 applications for this years race.

With roughly 40,000 places would love to know the allocation split between ballot / clubs / premium packages / charities to knock out at ridiculous minimum raise.

• Options
    Yeah that is a big shame...

To do four in four days (?) is a huge achievement though