Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options

don't know why he's been taken off corner duties. Maybe Bob hopes he'll score a header?

Can be the only reason. JBG's corners have been largely crap.
  • Options
    Jacko has been immense for us. Dragged us up from our lowest point in years and his leadership, goals and dedication to the club is to be commended. However, I agree that he has run his course at this level. He deserves to be remembered for being an excellent captain. However, now it's time to make way and let someone else step in (except for the fact that there isn't anyone else!). Solly did a good job yesterday by the way
  • Options
    Good bloke and all that, blah blah blah....
    can't deny the fact that as soon as he came off last night the team looked a lot better.

Cousins needs to be in the centre of the park starting from Saturday!
  • Options
    Jarman said:

can't deny the fact that as soon as he came off last night the team looked a lot better.

The bloke has barely played for a month so is not match fit. Too early to write him off.

That said I do agree that the introduction of Harriott for Jackson directly led to our good patch.
  • Options
    nothing to do with match fit. he's been off the pace for 18 months.

Coaching badges and move upstairs.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

nothing to do with match fit. he's been off the pace for 18 months.

Coaching badges and move upstairs.

This.
    At least JJ knows what CAFC is about. He would be ideal in a player/coach role.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I would've taken Buyens off ahead of him - at least Jacko can tackle.

Id probably keep Jackson ahead of Buyens just for his vocal presence, especially if he was playing alongside Cousins.

He cant play alongside Buyens though, they both get caught far too square and Jacko just doesn't have the legs to get back.

Howson and Tettey last night were buzzing about, always looking for the pass in both halves of the field. We didnt have that until Cousins moved inside and even then he was on his own.
  • Options
    Jackson is ageing and doesn't have the legs to run for 90 mins.

But he is still better than Buyens and Bulot combined because not only does he have more ability he actually looks like he wants to be here.

If Veljkovic was fit or if we'd signed the creative midfielder we've needed all season then JJ might just be a sub but until then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jarman said:

From the reports I read, as soon as he came ON on Saturday, the team also looked a lot better, so obviously the correlation is not as definitive as you seem to think. It may just be, as has been suggested with Solly, that his legs aren't up to two games a week any more. Particularly if he's having to do the job of two men when he IS on the pitch

• Options
    After we have played Hudds he will go on loan to them, and this debate will be over..............

..................just like our season :(
  • Options
    Hard to defend JJ as sadly a shadow of the player he was 2 - 3 seasons ago. Annonymous for the majority of matches now and only catches the eye with his increasingly late tackles or when he's finally taken off. Yes he's not match fit and yes he's recovering from injury but that's just him now I fear.
  • Options
    JJ doesn't have the legs to last 90mins because he is having to do all of Buyens' tackling. Last night he spent most of his time racing around trying to sweep up behind the 'nearly man'. Get a good defensive midfielder and JJ's game will be much improved ..... and visible to those who can't see past Buyens.
  • Options
    He's past it. Accept it rather than blaming others. I thought he put in a shift last night but only for the first 30 mins then looked shattered and the late tackles came in to play.
    BTW Buyens gets a lot of stick but thought he did ok last night. Putting himself about eventually getting booked but obviously not enough to satisfy the anti Belgium brigade
  • Options
    Jackson was past it before Buyens even arrived at the club. Nothing to do with Buyens who appears an easy Belgian network scapegoat.
  • Options
    Isn't he only 32?
  • Options
    Need him more than ever now. Has to start if fit rather than play with that clown Buyens.
  • Options

Need him more than ever now. Has to start if fit rather than play with that clown Buyens.

Cousins should be the number 1 midfielder
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just back from injury into a dysfunctional side, give him a few games before writing him off (again).
  • Options

Jackson was past it before Buyens even arrived at the club. Nothing to do with Buyens who appears an easy Belgian network scapegoat.

Really ?

If you read the post match thread from last night's game, around 75% of Lifers agree that Buyens was an ineffective waste of space - and not for the first time.

• Options
    Need to do a thread for numbers 1-3 and 5-11.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Need to do a thread for numbers 1-3 and 5-11.

Don't bother with a thread for number 9, it's been retired. :wink:
  • Options
    It's inevitable that a player's ability will peak and then decline. I agree that JJ has got to the point where he really isn't good for 90 minutes, and he has had a lot of injury this season too which won't help his fitness. But he does make a difference when he has the right players to work with, and he can be a sub who lifts the rest of the team. He gives a toss and plays with his heart on his sleeve as well as the Captain's armband.

There's little room for sentimentality in a game which demands fitness and results - so he will have to earn his place on the team sheet as much as the next man, but we're almost fresh out of talismanic players and he is the biggest one we currently have!
  • Options

Really ?

If you read the post match thread from last night's game, around 75% of Lifers agree that Buyens was an ineffective waste of space - and not for the first time.

I'm not disagreeing Buyens had a poor game last night, he did and he's looked poor for a while but the point I was making was that Jackson has been past it before Buyens even arrived so Jackson's own form can't be pinned on Buyens.

• Options
    Serious double standards here with Jackson and Buyens. Buyens is poor and he is torn to shreds.

Jackson is poor all season - late tackles, no goals, getting caught on the ball, soooooo sloooooow - but people STILL jump on the man love bandwagon.

He has been a superb player and captain in the past but then again so was Mark Kinsella. But you wouldnt want him in our team now.
  • Options
    Is Buyens really being "torn to shreds"? It's more commenting on him not being what we expected, a box to box midfielder, would make us forget about Poyet, of the quality we wouldn't usually be able to get etc.

We don't have many options, so I'd be happy to see either alongside Cousins to get some much needed pace and energy in the middle. Together they're too slow. For now I'd go with Jackson because we need to battle and as I said in the Buyens thread I think he looks good when things are going well but Jackson's the better player when it comes to tackling, leadership etc.
  • Options
    I will take a half-fit, slow-paced Jacko over some of the dross we have loaned in the past, or been sent by the poxy RD network.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Is Buyens really being "torn to shreds"? It's more commenting on him not being what we expected, a box to box midfielder, would make us forget about Poyet, of the quality we wouldn't usually be able to get etc.

We don't have many options, so I'd be happy to see either alongside Cousins to get some much needed pace and energy in the middle. Together they're too slow. For now I'd go with Jackson because we need to battle and as I said in the Buyens thread I think he looks good when things are going well but Jackson's the better player when it comes to tackling, leadership etc.

Was he touted as a box-to-box midfielder? I've always seen him as a deep lying play maker type of footballer. With a bit of energy around him creating space, it may bring the best of out him. Long balls pumped forward and just there to win the second ball does not.