Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time for the tank?

Comments

• Steve clarke.
    Glenda hoddle
    Too expensive. I would imagine.
  • markmc68 said:

We all want the best for Charlton. We have a manager who we all adore. It's just supporters talking b######s. I'm not advocating getting rid of Powell. But if SCP went. Who is out there.

Definitely not warnock.

I don't!!! so please don't speak for me.
  • Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Much as I loved PDC as a player, I'd honestly want to shoot anyone who brought him in as our manager.

Just out of interest, why do you say that? It feels to me that the Club has gone very flat in recent weeks. di Canio could come in and get bums on seats, and if nothing else unite our fans.

He did well at Swindon and short term at Sunderland.
    Well, apart from being a fascist lunatic whose only managerial success came at a club with a budget far out of kilter with the rest of the league, I can't really put my finger on what I dislike about him. I also doubt it would unite our fans. Half of us would be calling for Powell to return, many would disagree with the appointment of such a character etc, etc.

Media myths. Sunderland owner Elliot Short dispelled these at some length when he appointed di Canio.

PDC had no budget at Swindon, in fact I recall that he funded some transfers out of his own pocket.

According to the Swindon ST holder I work with, that was definitely not the case!

He threw cash around like there was no tomorrow and it seemed that the Swindon hierarchy were too in awe of PDC's reputation to realise that the club were near fatally in the red as a result.
  • markmc68 said:

Steve clarke.
    Glenda hoddle
    Too expensive. I would imagine.

would be the 2 top of my list bar none should the worst happen

• Steve Gritt
  • Why is this even being discussed we have got the right man at the helm all he needs is support from the owner and board to bring some players of his choice in and we will be fine.

IN SCP we trust

Because results and the style of football this season suggest we may not have the right man at the helm.
  • If we appoint Di Canio, I would like Le Pen as his right hand man & Anelka as the strikers coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are going off the subject.
    All we are saying is who is out there ?
    Sam allerdyce lol.
  • If we appoint Di Canio, I would like Le Pen as his right hand man & Anelka as the strikers coach.

Its daft to reduce a constructive debate to this level, we are a serious football club, not the South London branch of the Womens Institute.

West Ham fans would take di Canio tomorrow. So should we.

• Imo no we shouldn't.

Its daft to reduce a constructive debate to this level, we are a serious football club, not the South London branch of the Womens Institute.

You don't think that his unsavory political views have any place in a constructive debate on any possible replacement for Chris Powell then? I suspect the staunchly left-wing Mr Roland Duchatelet might disagree!

• 1. Short term fix manager to galvanise both the players & supporters, & keep us up.
    2. Proven track record in this area, having previously done it last season at another English club.
    3. Good knowledge of English lower leagues from first successful spell as a manager.
    4. Currently available, so no compensation needed.
    5. Ex Charlton player, so already knows the club fairly well.

Paolo di Canio. Get him in Duchalet.

I can't help but think that Powell, actually, ticks all five of the points on your list.

With that being the case if we are only looking to avoid relegation I can't see any point on making a change now.
    Well. Powell is certainly failing to galvanise BOTH our players and a significant section of our support (who should not just be dismissed) at present. Attendances are shrinking under Powell, and his comments in the media are not presenting either him or the club in the most positive light. However, I am more concerned at his motivational skills and body language, and the message this is relaying. I was one of the 5,000 at the Oxford game, and saw Mr Powell slumped against the advertising hoarding mute for the whole of the first half. What sort of message does that give out to our players?

Ask yourself this, without new signings before the next league game, who is more likely to coax three points out of Church, Cook, Green etc...Powell or di Canio?
  • markmc68 said:

We are going off the subject.
    Sam allerdyce lol.

Perhaps the question for some should be "what is more important, Charlton remaining in the Championship or Mr Chris Powell remaining as Charlton manager come what may?"
  • Well put. Like your style warren.
    You are right about Powell sat on boards. From where I was sat by the tunnel Andy Hughes was more vocal. Maybe he is the short term fix.
  • Why are we even bothering with this discussion? We do not currently have a vacancy and hopefully won't have for some time to come.

All discussions like this do is give undeserved credence to that small minority who want CP to go and attract trolling and wum's.

Let's have this discussion if & when it happens IMO.

I think we are about 2 or 3 weeks from having this conversation for real.

For me, yes to Paulo but up front as a striker and then just to balance the books we could have Diane Abbott as Coach and Paul Elliott as Director of Wankers.

Ok then why? He failed abysmally in his last job, would divide fans and has real pr problems, not qualifications in my mind.
  • 1. Short term fix manager to galvanise both the players & supporters, & keep us up.
    2. Proven track record in this area, having previously done it last season at another English club.
    3. Good knowledge of English lower leagues from first successful spell as a manager.
    4. Currently available, so no compensation needed.
    5. Ex Charlton player, so already knows the club fairly well.

Paolo di Canio. Get him in Duchalet.

I can't help but think that Powell, actually, ticks all five of the points on your list.

With that being the case if we are only looking to avoid relegation I can't see any point on making a change now.
    Well. Powell is certainly failing to galvanise BOTH our players and a significant section of our support (who should not just be dismissed) at present. Attendances are shrinking under Powell, and his comments in the media are not presenting either him or the club in the most positive light. However, I am more concerned at his motivational skills and body language, and the message this is relaying. I was one of the 5,000 at the Oxford game, and saw Mr Powell slumped against the advertising hoarding mute for the whole of the first half. What sort of message does that give out to our players?

Ask yourself this, without new signings before the next league game, who is more likely to coax three points out of Church, Cook, Green etc...Powell or di Canio?
    Yes, you have a fair point, about Powell sitting on the advertising boards.

However, it is a well known fact that players can't hear and disregard the manager shouting from the touch line.

So yes, it may look better to the fans, if he's jumping up and down, but I don't think it helps the players (according to the numerous players I have asked in the past)
  • Sponsored links:

• I must admit I was jumping up and down in my seat at Powell's love child.
    Pritchard at best a conference player.
  • Really wouldn't want Di Canio, Costa is interesting - great player but does anyone seriously think they know enough about his managerial attributes to suggest he'd be better at keeping us up than CP who knows both the squad and the league inside out?

Steve Clarke would be an excellent appointment but I can't see him coming to a club at the wrong end of the Championship.
  • I vote for the frozen body of Walt Disney, we may as well become a Mickey Mouse club..to go with our Mickey Mouse fans.
  • Are you Chris Powell's other love child.
    Only jesting.
    Some people get so upset. Lighten up.
  • edited January 2014
    Chizz said:

If you were to write a list of every single potential candidate for the job as manager of Charlton; and you left no-one out, no matter how daft it might seem; and you weren't swayed by criteria like "are they available?" and "can we afford him"?; and you kept writing the list until you have every conceivable living football manager, coach, trainer and tactician...

...and, if you then ranked every single one of the names on the list (and there would be hundreds and hundreds of them) in order of whether they are right for the job or not...

...you would find Chris Powell's name very, very near the top of that list.

And that'll do for me.

Who is the "you" referred to here ?
  • Edgar Davids has just become available, not proven maybe but he is known to RD and they both speak from a similar phrase book !
  • He'd still want a game. Palace reject.
  • If Chris Powell is such an accomplished and highly rated manager, please can someone give me a list of Championship and Premier Clubs who have approached us for his services in the last 12 months.....
  • edited January 2014

markmc68 said:

We are going off the subject.
    Sam allerdyce lol.

Perhaps the question for some should be "what is more important, Charlton remaining in the Championship or Mr Chris Powell remaining as Charlton manager come what may?"
    One of the things to consider taking the above comment, is that you generally get a sling-shot effect when installing a new boss for circa 10 games max (unless , of course, you are Dean Saunders, who, in my opinion , is a bit of a dipstick anyway) - and, in our position , it wouldnt take much of a sling-shot to take us away from the bottom three considering how bad the bottom three are at present. 4 wins in say 10 games, with maybe 2 draws might be enough to almost put us back into mid-table. Lets just hope that 1 of the 3 there already dont have the same - TBH, i cant see it happening with Yeovil or Barnsley(who have already changed their manager) - lets hope that there is a club that does a 'Wolves' and plummets down the league - there normally is one (Bolton ?)