Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT"S NOT DONE - BUT YOU HAVE BEEN!!!)***

Comments

• Been chatting to some of our Belgium cousins, very interesting -

Roland Duchatelet aka RD, is a very smart man. Unfortunately he doesn't understand that running a business is totally different from running a sports team. His main interests are financial. If he buys something he thinks he can sell it later at a better price or generate some regular income. So far he has not managed to do either of those with any of the teams he already owns. Drawabacks of RD: 1) He's totally rubbish at delegating things and tries to interfere with managers and directors of football. 2) To make matters worse he seems to privilege contacts with a football agent who's gained his trust. Example: during the last summer transfer window he turned to an israeli football agent Dudu Dahan (who is on Twitter) to finalize almost every deal. 3) He is incredibly naive: he almost managed to sell one of our young strikers (Batshuayi) and holding midfielder (Vainqueur) to our eternal rival, Anderlecht. Supporters' protest made him change his mind ... 4) During his 3 year as chairman of our team we have had 3 managers. Because the chairman claims to be a fan of the Japanese mentality: as soon as you think somebody new can do better you get rid of the old ... 5) Since he is a mathematician and likes to meet potential managers in person he asks them very relevant questions (true story): If you have 6 players passing the ball to one another how many passes will it take before a player misses a pass?
    You will have to teach him the hard way to respect your heritage, team and supporters. But this may take some time. He tried to put on a brave face and reportedly wants to get rid of our team now. Keep hanging in there he found out after 3 years what the Standard supporters are expecting from a chairman.

On the other hand: he doesn't seem to be 2 closely involved with the football teams he owns in Hungary (then again his son runs that team). He now owns 5 teams in Europe and expect a lot of players moving between the different teams. The players from our youth academy are forced to accept a clause in their 1st professional contract which allows the chairman to send them to the various teams he owns..

http://www.rscl.be/forum/index.php?showtopic=68569&st=26940
  • Out of the frying pan........ it will need to be proved to me that Duchelet is going to be good for Charlton. All the evidence so far from Liege is not good.
  • I think people should make their own minds up first instead of listening to other clubs fans first
  • God sake, give the bloke a chance, he's taken over and immediately bolstered our squad.

With all due respect English football is a totally different ball game to Belgian football, and I think RD will know this.

I will save my judgement until He's been in control at least a year
  • Agree NLA, not least because we don't know his motives. If he's going to make money from us, then surely he want us to hit the PL?
  • well, the easiest way for us to LOSE money would be to get relegated, so I expect him to do all he can to make sure we don't this season.....unlike the other lot.
  • Crickey - if many on here have spent many hours angrily tapping out posts castigating the previous owners then they're going to be plenty busy if your cousin's comments are a portent of future actions of our worthy leader! It's sure going to be both 'challenging' and 'interesting'.
  • I think people should make their own minds up first instead of listening to other clubs fans first

And that's all we can do.
    I hope I'm wrong ,but I have a feeling Barnie & co will earn their stripes in the foreseeable.

• I will throw out this though, I think the fact RM is in a non executive role is a plus but not for any reasons said on here thus far

I think its a positive as he can add his knowledge but no longer have a casting vote in decision making , imo it was time for a complete change in that area

what I would like to see is people like Dave White back in the fold somewhere (sorry if that embarrasses you DW)

Couldnt agree with you more if I tried.
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:

Out of the frying pan........ it will need to be proved to me that Duchelet is going to be good for Charlton. All the evidence so far from Liege is not good.

They're 4 points clear at the top of the Belgian league, one defeat in 21 matches, after not winning the league since 2008/09. I'd take that type of failure
  • Will give Duchelet a chance but am not convinced so far. I am not going to assume that everything

The midfield loan player from Liege who is apparently a bit slow and hasn't played for a while, will not prevent us from being relegated. Is that player Chris Powell's choice ?

Happy to have it proved in the following months that Duchelet is a decent, astute owner who avoids 'Tan' like involvement in the team.
  • vff said:

Out of the frying pan........ it will need to be proved to me that Duchelet is going to be good for Charlton. All the evidence so far from Liege is not good.

They're 4 points clear at the top of the Belgian league, one defeat in 21 matches, after not winning the league since 2008/09. I'd take that type of failure
    If you read the contributions from our Liege and other Duchelet teams supporters they are not happy and you can gloss over that as you like. I am not going to assume that Duchelet is automatically going to be good for Charlton. I am not going to accept those comments as that is the way it will be at Charlton either but I am not going to ignore them.
  • we don't know though do we

lets not forget that players in the past that were offered to senior mgmt at cafc and not nesc the mgr that we have signed on loan before its not a new phenom

how do we know powell didn't say id have him him and him from liege

how do we know RD hasn't said those ungrateful bstds at Leige didn't appreciate me so take your pick powelly, and then I can give you more money aswell as those players wont cost us a thing
  • Been chatting to some of our Belgium cousins, very interesting -

The players from our youth academy are forced to accept a clause in their 1st professional contract which allows the chairman to send them to the various teams he owns..

I'm laughing out loud at this, but it's not really very funny. This Guy really is going to be interesting ........
  • vff said:

vff said:

If you read the contributions from our Liege and other Duchelet teams supporters they are not happy and you can gloss over that as you like. I am not going to assume that Duchelet is automatically going to be good for Charlton. I am not going to accept those comments as that is the way it will be at Charlton either but I am not going to ignore them.
    I bet they're a lot happier than we have been this season, with most of our squad out of contract, and playing on a mud bath. Imagine what it would be like at Charlton without a takeover, with all our players and Powell leaving at the end of the season, possible administration, a pitch unfit to play on etc
    Of course, we would all like a fabulously wealthy owner, who didn't make his money in a dodgy way and also pays his taxes, who knows all about football, gives Powell a blank cheque and doesn't interfere with playing matters. Sadly until I win £500m on the lottery, such owners are hard to find...
  • vff said:

vff said:

You don't have to, but you need to wait for something to complain about before you complain surely!
  • mrbligh said:

So far he has signed a player on loan and promised to fix the pitch

He hasn't sacked anyone, taken any money out of the club, ripped our club's soul out, sold any players, forced midfielders to play in defence, moved stadiums, changed the badge/kit/team name or anything else for that matter

Roland is currently winning 2-0!

Cheer the f"*k up everyone!

I can't see anything stating that he has promised to fix the pitch. Where did you get that piece of information from?
  • Sponsored links:

• well all of a sudden we have a dome coming to go over it and work is going to begin on it
  • The club website cafc.co.uk

This
  • edited January 2014
    Instead of moving us to the dome... ;)

Is it loaned from Liege perhaps?
  • This guy is on Roland's payrole but only warming the bench in Liege. Should get him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reza_Ghoochannejhad

• he is one of the 3 we will get
  • vffvff
    edited January 2014
    Am of course glad that Charlton are not going into administration.

Not all wealthy owners are necessarily dodgy. I am disappointed that Josh Harris didn't buy and Peter Varney's group bid never materialised. There may be reasons for it but if Angeldust comments are to be believed it appears that Josh Harris bid was partially down to TJ / MS. The bad blood between TJ & MS and PV meant that bid was always going to be problematic. It is unclear whether it was a realistic bid or what level of investment was behind it. It never happened and has been pointed out, PV introduced TJ and MS so there is no guarantee that these owner were good.

As has been said, beggars and drowning men can't be choosers. We have Duchelet but would have liked to have some proof that he is not a personality owner that over involves himself with the manager's job.

Chris Powell survived a lot of change at Leicester and he may manage it here. If he does go, it will be replacement with a Duchelet man.

I will be happy to have it proved that Duchelet is a decent owner. I will need some evidence before I believe that Duchelet is good for Charlton.

That is all I am going to say. Will let people get along with happy dreams for the future.

• he is one of the 3 we will get

It's because of Mitchy Batshuayi(wich is Lukaku and Benteke in one person) that he's not in the starting team but the guy is fast and has great technique

• dominiek said:

he is one of the 3 we will get

It's because of Mitchy Batshuayi(wich is Lukaku and Benteke in one person) that he's not in the starting team but the guy is fast and has great technique

Looks like a fast mendonca if the wonderful scouting tool that is YouTube is to be believed