Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimenez is a blogger....

Comments

• Options
    Jodaius said:

Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous thing to say. Accountancy is not just about number-crunching, it's an all round business qualification.

.... according to accountants ;-)
  • Options
    Hex said:

Jodaius said:

Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous thing to say. Accountancy is not just about number-crunching, it's an all round business qualification.

.... according to accountants ;-)
    OK, you got me there!
  • Options

Baffling. I will lay a large amount that it's ghost-written. Not to suggest he is thick, simply that this is professionally written and there is nothing in his bio to suggest he would have such training.
    So why now? And who is the target audience?

If TJ wanted a ghostie writer that really captures his bluff roots he should have gone for this guy.
    forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/51077/tony-jiminez-the-case-for-the-defence/p1

• Options
    What I find baffling is why people seem intent on discussing the ins and outs of what 'professional journalism' is and how the article came to be, rather than just looking at the content which is there.

Whether he wrote it himself or not - surely there are some more pertinent points from what is actually said rather than debating agendas, politics etc?
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

Baffling. I will lay a large amount that it's ghost-written. Not to suggest he is thick, simply that this is professionally written and there is nothing in his bio to suggest he would have such training.

Not to be rude to professional writers, but it is not a specific area of expertise that few of us have any experience of. It is a mandatory course at school and I would imagine that most half intelligent people (and the CIPFA qualifications are not easy to acquire) can write an article of that length that has little sourced research.
    I have no doubt that the comments about his local ties with the area are probably trying to build some rapport and empathy with the fans given the criticism which he has come under recently. I also think that the comments about 'unrealistic expectations' and 'instant gratification' are aimed at an element of our fan base. But for what it's worth, I agree with him.
    If he wanted to 'build some rapport and empathy with the fans' then he could have written something for Valley Review - the recent 21st anniversary Back to the Valley edition would have been an ideal opportunity.

But - although it's in the UK Edition - the Huffington Post is US in origin and not somewhere Charlton fans might be expected to look for 'rapport' with their owner.

The piece seems to be aimed at a US audience. It focuses on Beckhams's 'plans to start up an MLS franchise in Miami' and Randy Lerner's ownership of Villa - as well as puffing his own role at Charlton. My guess is that it is intended to improve Jimenez's and Charlton's profile in the US (as part of a sales drive?) rather than communicating with the club's fans.

• Options

If TJ wanted a ghostie writer that really captures his bluff roots he should have gone for this guy.
    forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/51077/tony-jiminez-the-case-for-the-defence/p1

After seeing the couple of lol's, I really thought that link was gonna be ackworth on one of his ghost trails.
  • Options

Well, I've worked in Local Government finance since 1980 and I've never come across a Mr Tony Jimenez as a DOF for any Council. I will make enquiries but I smell something. I think it's Bull droppings....

I have seen it asserted by him that he has worked for LB Southwark and Tower Hamlets, and that at Southwark he was head of exchequer services.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Jodaius said:

Not to be rude to professional writers, but it is not a specific area of expertise that few of us have any experience of. It is a mandatory course at school and I would imagine that most half intelligent people (and the CIPFA qualifications are not easy to acquire) can write an article of that length that has little sourced research.
    I have no doubt that the comments about his local ties with the area are probably trying to build some rapport and empathy with the fans given the criticism which he has come under recently. I also think that the comments about 'unrealistic expectations' and 'instant gratification' are aimed at an element of our fan base. But for what it's worth, I agree with him.
    If he wanted to 'build some rapport and empathy with the fans' then he could have written something for Valley Review - the recent 21st anniversary Back to the Valley edition would have been an ideal opportunity.

But - although it's in the UK Edition - the Huffington Post is US in origin and not somewhere Charlton fans might be expected to look for 'rapport' with their owner.

The piece seems to be aimed at a US audience. It focuses on Beckhams's 'plans to start up an MLS franchise in Miami' and Randy Lerner's ownership of Villa - as well as puffing his own role at Charlton. My guess is that it is intended to improve Jimenez's and Charlton's profile in the US (as part of a sales drive?) rather than communicating with the club's fans.

Spot on.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    10 miles in London football terms is huge (just to state the obvious) :D
  • Options
    Some people really are desperate to prove Jimenez is a liar and a cad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRF said:

Some people really are desperate to prove Jimenez is a liar and a cad.

Funny that, I thought that some people are really desperate to prove that he isn't a liar and a cad. The judge didn't agree with that point of view, but maybe the judge got it wrong as well?

• Options
    Damned if he does damned if he doesn't. People beg for some kind of communication; this a start but still he is slated. Some of you lot need to remove the noose from around your necks
  • Options
    razil said:

10 miles in London football terms is huge (just to state the obvious) :D

It can be but pretty much everyone who comes in from the Valley Express live over 10 miles away and have been following the club all their lives.
  • Options

Well, I've worked in Local Government finance since 1980 and I've never come across a Mr Tony Jimenez as a DOF for any Council. I will make enquiries but I smell something. I think it's Bull droppings....

I have seen it asserted by him that he has worked for LB Southwark and Tower Hamlets, and that at Southwark he was head of exchequer services.
    If that's true, them he had a pretty responsible job but it isn't DOF. I was up at Southwark Council today for a meeting. If I'd know, I would've discreetly asked if anyone knew of him.
  • Options
    My dad definitely worked with tj at one point (think it was southwark)
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't. People beg for some kind of communication; this a start but still he is slated. Some of you lot need to remove the noose from around your necks

This is not just a start though. It is a continuation of:
    Management team articles in the programme
    Management team appearances at supporter club evenings
    Developing the Back to the Valley event after the last big dinner was some 10 years back and last year was 100 fans in Bartrams at the Trust launch.
    We will only know for certain in April / May what division we will be playing in for 2014/15 but lets enjoy the ride shall we?
  • Options
    Change the lo with a u and I will agree with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

DeeBee said:

This is not just a start though. It is a continuation of:
    Management team articles in the programme
    Management team appearances at supporter club evenings
    Developing the Back to the Valley event after the last big dinner was some 10 years back and last year was 100 fans in Bartrams at the Trust launch.
    We will only know for certain in April / May what division we will be playing in for 2014/15 but lets enjoy the ride shall we?
    An article which isn't about Charlton on a website which is so obscure to Charlton fans that they took a week to discover it has nothing in common with any of those things, whatever their merits. It's desperate to argue otherwise.
  • Options
    Who was that PR bloke who turned up at the very first press conference, mac something, maybe he writes for Jiminez
  • Options
    Hex said:

I just remembered Airman's reminder to us: Don't assume the current directors are in agreement with each other. Maybe that is relevant here. Not sure exactly how though.

Just supposing ....

Peter Varney brought TJ and MS together for the 2010 deal. TJ was acquainted with Kevin Cash which helped the deal happen (MS is more KC's friend/business colleague). Whilst MS may have put some money in, mostly he is representing Cash. Also, he is not in the same league, aspiration-wise, as TJ. The deal probably required each 'investor' to provide a minimum level of funds each year. There may even have been an agreement to add additional funds on a pro-rata basis to shareholdings.

Now, TJ has big plans (for himself - see his bio) and when Alex Newell gave up he saw an opportunity to take control. KC didn't like this so they fell out but he has continued his minimum payments and with RM ensures that the club continues to function - just!. Although TJ found the funds to buy out AN his wheeler-dealing has suffered a flat tyre. He is struggling to pay his share but being the entrepreneur that he is (according to the blog), or at least thinks he is, he will not back down. He's the gambler that sees a big win just around the corner. The blog is TJ advertising himself, perhaps in desperation?

KC doesn't want the exposure of full control (or does he ???) and the original property play that originally enticed him is now not within his grasp so, knowing TJ's predicament, the only way out is to sell up. However, TJ is still going after that big payback that will ensure his 'reputation' remains intact (Dennis Wise
    excepted). Hence 18 months of boardroom disagreement and no progression. Its all about power and money (or lack of it).

Sound feasible ?
    Lets get this sorted quickly.

Get a ruler.
    Ask all involved to get their todger out.
    Measure them.
    Whoever has the longest wins, and makes all the decisions.

Move on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why have I got 'Pearls A Singer' as an earworm?
  • Options

Why have I got 'Pearls A Singer' as an earworm?

What are you doing in a nightclub this early? :-)
  • Options
    It was a matinee performance for lil ole laydeesz ;-)
  • Options

Great article , now whats his username on Charlton Life?

Mendonca In Asdas I think................
  • Options
    Matt Wright @mattjobob has an interesting view on TJ joining the blogging ranks
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MW says - 'Basically, he's sticking two fingers up at #cafc fans - while also hurting the club's official communication channels. Touché Tony'
  • Options

If that's true, them he had a pretty responsible job but it isn't DOF. I was up at Southwark Council today for a meeting. If I'd know, I would've discreetly asked if anyone knew of him.
    I can confirm he worked at Southwark but certainly wasn't the DOF, he was involved with Housing Benefit. I understand he was also engaged by RBG as a consultant within that area.
  • Options
    For the record, The Huffington Post does not pay ANY of its contributors - that's one of the reasons it makes a shitload of cash.

Brainchild of Ariana Huffington who worked out that if you can build a big audience - which she has - then writers will write for free just to reach the audience.

Publications fill much of their Op-Ed pages with free content supplied by people who want their views heard.
  • Options

Matt Wright @mattjobob has an interesting view on TJ joining the blogging ranks

Where can we find this blog Henry?