Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independence.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Eilean Siar votes NO: 47/53

4 of 32 declared

YES 36,097 NO 49,535
  • Options
    Biggest result so far. Yes would have been expected there, very strong SNP support.
  • Options
    Inverclyde votes NO: 49.9/50.1 (27,243/27,329)

wow that was very close....

5 of 32 declared

YES 63,340 NO 76,864
  • Options
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 3m
    Inverclyde votes NO in Scotland's #indyref:

Yes 27,243 (49.9%)
    No 27,329 (50.1%)
    Turnout 87.4%
  • Options
    54,572 votes, with a difference of 86, wow indeed and a second region Yes would have expected to have edged it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Renfrewshire votes NO: 47/53

6 of 32 declared

YES 118,806 NO 138,931
  • Options
    Dundee votes YES: 57/43

7 of 32 declared

YES 172,426 NO 178,811
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    W Dunbartonshire votes YES: 54/46

8 of 32 declared

YES 49.8% NO 50.2%

Midlothian votes NO: 44/56

9 of 32 declared

YES 49.0% NO 51.0%

As it stands: YES 232,516 vs. NO 241,559
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    East Lothian votes NO: 38/62

10 of 32 declared

YES 48% NO 52%

Stirling votes NO: 40/60

11 of 32 declared

YES 47% NO 53%

• Options
    Falkirk votes NO: 47/53

12 of 32 declared

YES 47% NO 53%
  • Options

This is now getting hilarious on BBC1. The NO Vote has obviously won quite comfortably but as they are paying people all night to work they are trying to drag out the result.

[snip]

It's all over, it was all over years ago.

But one of the reason why places like Orkney and Shetland declared early was because they are quite small. It's not the %s but the number of votes that's important. That big vote for YES in Dundee made a massive difference to how close the figures looked, and we've not had the really big councils like Glasgow, Edinburgh etc coming in yet. Most of the big SNP voting areas haven't declared yet either. I wouldn't get too complacent yet.
  • Options
    Angus votes NO: 44/56

13 of 32 declared

Dumfries votes NO: 34/66

14 of 32 declared

YES 407,140 NO 496,256
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    E Renfrewshire votes NO
    E Dumbartonshire votes NO
    Aberdeen City votes NO

17 of 32 declared

YES 521,441 (43.8%) NO 670,354 (56.2%)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    N Lanarkshire votes YES: 51/49
    S Lanarkshire votes NO: 45/55
    Perth & Kinross votes NO: 40/60

20 of 32 declared

YES 779,689 (45%) NO 965,790 (55%)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Glasgow City votes YES: 53/47
    Scottish Borders votes NO: 33/67
    W Lothian votes NO: 45/55

23 of 32 declared

YES 1,055,716 (46%) NO 1,256,372 (54%)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    N Ayrshire votes NO: 49/51

24 of 32 declared

YES 1,102,788 (46%) NO 1,305,388 (54%)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    North Ayrshire votes no, only 8 areas left to declare - no way back for the "yes" campaign now.

Interesting that the working class vote that would have propelled the yes vote hasn't turned up - "only" 75% turnout in Glasgow which has a large working class population.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That Glasgow result needed to be a lot bigger, and it's noticeable that the turnout was somewhat lower than a lot of the other areas that have declared.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    S Ayrshire votes NO: 42/58

25 of 32 declared

YES 1,137,190 NO 1,352,635
  • Options
    E Ayrshire votes NO: 47/53

26 of 32 declared

YES 46% NO 54%
  • Options
    BBC confidently predicts, with only 6 regions left to declare, that Scotland will vote no. Time for bed.

YES 1,176,952 NO 1,397,077
  • Options
    Looks like the Sweaties are staying.

Having got what they wanted, a chance for Scots to decide on their future in or out of the UK, the yes supporters now coming out and blaming anyone and anything except the fact that the majority of Scots wanted to stay.

Incredibly patronizing towards voters to say they are all swayed by scaremongering, celebrity endorsement, or threats about currency etc, etc, etc.

It's inevitable sour grapes from the losing side (doubtless would have been the same if No lost) but you can't campaign for a democratic process to give you a shot at what you want and then bitch and moan when democracy delivers the result you didn't want, especially in the light of such a high turn out. You lost, suck it up and give the electorate some respect.
  • Options
    Strangely, it could mean that England gets more independence. The days of Scottish MPs voting on English matters could be over.
  • Options

Looks like the Sweaties are staying.

Having got what they wanted, a chance for Scots to decide on their future in or out of the UK, the yes supporters now coming out and blaming anyone and anything except the fact that the majority of Scots wanted to stay.

Incredibly patronizing towards voters to say they are all swayed by scaremongering, celebrity endorsement, or threats about currency etc, etc, etc.

It's inevitable sour grapes from the losing side (doubtless would have been the same if No lost) but you can't campaign for a democratic process to give you a shot at what you want and then bitch and moan when democracy delivers the result you didn't want, especially in the light of such a high turn out. You lost, suck it up and give the electorate some respect.

Agreed, but they are politicians and cannot help themselves. Apparently "Scotland has changed forever" according to Ms Sturgeon - perhaps she can't understand counting?
  • Options
    To be fair, the vote has been pretty bloody close. It's clear that a large proportion of Scots are dissatisfied with the way things are. I'd imagine a fair amount of the no voters sympathise with the a lot of the yes campaign, but no enough to actually vote for it. I'm sure an awful lot of English people sympathise with them too.

They can't, and won't get full independence after this, but I think they are entitled to more devolution and will get it.

I don't know whether it'll actually happen, but the future for the UK could well be to adopt the provincial/federal government model like we have out here in Canada.

Regardless of the result, what I think is great and heartens me is that the Scots have been given the chance to make their choice and that they have, in huge numbers. It's democratic and it's fair. Time for the politicians to listen to the messages coming out of this result and do what the electorate are telling them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just say no!

Is it co incidence that as soon as Murray comes out for the Yes camp, it collapses in a quarter final heap?

Anyone else feel the polls last week were figments of the medias machinations?
    Just to sell papers?

Well done to the strange Brown Darling alliance, though it could be argued the No's were always going to vote that way anyway
  • Options
    Polls are not that reliable statistically anyway, but when they are floating around 50:50 and keep flipping back and forth like they have been they are basically saying "errr, I dunno!"
  • Options

To be fair, the vote has been pretty bloody close. It's clear that a large proportion of Scots are dissatisfied with the way things are. I'd imagine a fair amount of the no voters sympathise with the a lot of the yes campaign, but no enough to actually vote for it. I'm sure an awful lot of English people sympathise with them too.

They can't, and won't get full independence after this, but I think they are entitled to more devolution and will get it.

I don't know whether it'll actually happen, but the future for the UK could well be to adopt the provincial/federal government model like we have out here in Canada.

Regardless of the result, what I think is great and heartens me is that the Scots have been given the chance to make their choice and that they have, in huge numbers. It's democratic and it's fair. Time for the politicians to listen to the messages coming out of this result and do what the electorate are telling them.

If you mean a significant number are unhappy with the present government, I agree ( including me ). But we were told it wasn't a protest vote against the Tory government, it was a vote about Scotland's future.