Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

On paper it sounds potentially wrong. But, it’s Vault city so probably great
  • Options

Yesterday’s highlights were
    Electric Sun (sour) - Pentrich
    Meet me in the city (NEIPA) - DEYA 
    Liquid cocaine (Imp IPA) - Mad Scientist
  • Options
    This was rather lovely, especially so since I'm not a regular stout drinker...

And for something completely different to it this was quite nice too...

• Options
    Vault city are alchemists. Probably not beer as such, but as alcoholic drinks go, they make some classics.

What with it being October I bought and drank these

• Options

Cheers - I will go and have a half (apparently best not to start with a pint)  and let you know....
  • Options
    Three beers to avoid from me tonight:
    1. Hop Monster - Mad Dog Black. Ridiculously over hopped for a dark beer.
    2. Heritage - Cliffhanger. Best of a bad bunch, drinkable but bland.
    3. Witham - Captain Keeble's Ramming Speed. Absolute filth. When will this horrible trend of making beers mimic grapefruit juice come to an end? The best thing about this one, without a shadow of a doubt, was its comedy name.  

• Options
    Got to keep my spirits up, so a Bissell Swish is next. Lovely NEIPA. 

• Options

Went to the bar tonight. £5.50 for a half pint of Double Maple Triple Chocolate Blueberry S'More; 10% ABV but you wouldn't know, tasted like whizzed up refreshers and fresh berries. Slightly thicker than I was anticipating and actually quite enjoyable.

Only stayed for one, then went of for a pint of Beavertown Neck Oil followed by a pint of Hopback Breweries Taiphoon Lemongrass. Both acceptable, the latter better value for money than the former.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not taking any chances with delivery times this Christmas...this lot of Kentish nectar arrived yesterday. 

• Options
    @SporadicAddick how on earth did you go down to a Neck Oil after drinking the Double Maple??? Your tastebuds must have been all over the place... Very eclectic drinking :-) Cheers
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @SporadicAddick how on earth did you go down to a Neck Oil after drinking the Double Maple??? Your tastebuds must have been all over the place... Very eclectic drinking :-) Cheers
    As they were all in different pubs I had a decent break between each so maybe that helped, but the sequence was certainly a successive move down the taste chart...
  • Options
    Tonight is the opening night of the Norwich Beer Festival, one of the highlights of the Norfolk social calendar (mine, anyway) and a welcome return, albeit with reduced capacity, after last year's cancellation.

I am currently enjoying a glass of French Toast Brown Ale from the New Bristol Brewery.

"A traditional brown ale with a modern twist. Evokes notes of custardy bread, cinnamon and maple syrup."

Absolutely f***ing bootiful.

Best beer of the evening this far although I'll be heading for S&P's (a local brewery from Horsford, home of Norfolk CCC) Blackberry Porter later which will probably run it close.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Just tried Sainsbury's Christmas Porter. Not for me. 
  • Options
    Shared a litre of Pinter Space Hopper this afternoon. Brewed and conditioned extra long after a cold crash, and secondary bottle fermentation for about a month. Absolutely beautiful.
  • Options
    Tonight is the opening night of the Norwich Beer Festival, one of the highlights of the Norfolk social calendar (mine, anyway) and a welcome return, albeit with reduced capacity, after last year's cancellation.

I am currently enjoying a glass of French Toast Brown Ale from the New Bristol Brewery.

"A traditional brown ale with a modern twist. Evokes notes of custardy bread, cinnamon and maple syrup."

Absolutely f***ing bootiful.

Best beer of the evening this far although I'll be heading for S&P's (a local brewery from Horsford, home of Norfolk CCC) Blackberry Porter later which will probably run it close.
    I love the stuff from New Bristol, not had a bad beer from them yet. 

Brew York are another favourite of mine and rarely disappoint. This tasted far better than it looks, which is revolting tbf.

• Options
    ...also why are the photos uploading in such poor definition? The original looks perfect. 
  • Options
    Trillium day. LAX2JFK is a super smooth 10.2% IPA. Vert dangerous. 

• Options
    What do you do @SomervilleAddick as you always seem to be out drinking !! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Shared a litre of Pinter Space Hopper this afternoon. Brewed and conditioned extra long after a cold crash, and secondary bottle fermentation for about a month. Absolutely beautiful.
    Still up there as my fave Pinter beer.
    may change next month with the Pinter 2 and tropical debate.. can’t wait for that one 👍
  • Options
    Having picked up my Trillum order, next stop Lamplighter to get my two subscription bottles. While I’m here I tried the Eminence Front, which is a superb blended sour. 

• Options
    I retired in May. This is my new job. 
    Very jealous 
  • Options
    Final one for todays day drinking - Someone Like Crue - a really nice 3.2% dark mild.  Nice caramel flavor. Nothing like the crap mild used to be when I was younger. 

• Options
    I so want one of those glasses. Need to get back out to New England. 
  • Options
    ...also why are the photos uploading in such poor definition? The original looks perfect. 
    You mean most of the pictures on here aren't meant to look like someone has just been sick in a glass?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    IdleHans said:
    I mean, seriously? What does this even mean? what does it taste like ffs?!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:
    I mean, seriously? What does this even mean? what does it taste like ffs?!
    It tastes like beer. Good beer.

Brewed for 12 days, transferred to a fridge at 1 degree (cold crash) for two days, then conditioned for a further 8 days before being bottled with sugar for a secondary fermentation for a further month.
    Tasted rich, deep and fairly strong (guess at 6%). Decently malty rather than strongly hoppy, but a fabulous autumn pint for slow sipping.

• Options
    Just been given a bottle of this. I won't be reviewing it for a year or two unless I am diagnosed with a near-term terminal disease.

In 2018 we celebrated our 10th birthday as a business and to celebrate we bought a cask of whisky which we bottled as a 2008 vintage Scotch at cask strength. The whisky itself was from Glen Morey in Speyside and had spent its whole life in a first fill ex Jack Daniels cask.

Ilkley Brewery celebrated their 10th birthday in 2019 so we thought it would be apt to do a little collaboration. We sent them our whisky cask over for them to age a Barley Wine in!  

This Barley Wine is ready to drink now but as it is bottle conditioned, it will age further for years to come.

Tasting Notes

Ripe stone-fruit, oak, smoke and molasses. This is the greatest accompaniment to any cheese board!