Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• heres a list of development brews, but they're up to db50 or so now, and that's on top of their monthly specials. I have a big birthday later in the year and am planning a proper day in the tap yard for a group of us.
  • One of the great joys of going away is discovering new beers. This one is a very fine Welsh brewed IPA with fruity notes but not going too far. Very tasty. 
  • This thread keeps dropping to far down the list. It’s almost as the though some are not dedicated to endeavor, much like Lyle Taylor. 

Don’t be Lyle Taylor - drink beer and post on here. My offering for today, Lamplighter Fieldbeer, a saison style. Not bad just a little thin and definitely too cold. But, only 5%, which is a rarity. They list it a saison/ table beer but is way too strong for table beer. 

• This was properly lovely, a rich full beer that tasted much stronger than 4.3. Wish Id bought a lot more.
  • First preseason hockey game, so the pregame beer adventures begin. 

Hudson Valley Star Chamber. This one will be hard to beat all season - Sour IPA with wheat and oat, milk sugar, green tea, papaya and coconut; hopped with Citra and Nelson.

Seriously sharp - you need to be a real sour fan with this one. It’s hard to pick out any of those ingredients individually, but together they are spectacular. 

• This one is an excellent NEIPA from a brewery I’ve never heard of. Messorem Brewery - 7 Pieds Sour Terre, all the way from Montreal - which really isn’t that far, but it’s unusual to see any Canadian craft beers down here 

Really smooth, hoppy and a bit of earthy dryness at the finish. 

• Currently in Crete. I don't think the craft beer industry has quite got a foothold here yet. It's all Heineken, Stella, Guinness or this stuff...

...which, if they served it any colder, could come on a stick. I guess they know their market though. 
  • It’s the time of year to stray into lager styles, as every bar is going a bit Oktoberfest crazy. Here’s my dip into that pool today - Lawsons Fest. Not bad. 5.3%, bit earthy, good maltiness and surprisingly bitter. I actually think it tastes more like a bitter than rest beers I’ve had in the past. 

• Normal service will now be resumed - Other Half Tomato Factory. 8.5% DIPA with Citra, Vic Secret, Riwaka and Sabro hops. Very fruity but with a very dry finish. 

• Sponsored links:

• Every year, we’re cursed by Halloween, and the accompanying desire of US brewers to make Halloween beer. Generally it’s some combination of pumpkin/cinammon. Against my better judgement, i decided to try the Hudson Valley Silhouette - a sour IPA with apple and pumpkin spice. It was getting rave reviews. I have no idea why. Apple does not belong in beer, ever. I’m a great believer in drinking your mistakes, but this is the last time for apple beer 

• Normal service will now be resumed - Other Half Tomato Factory. 8.5% DIPA with Citra, Vic Secret, Riwaka and Sabro hops. Very fruity but with a very dry finish. 

My favourite brewery....really wish they'd open the London taproom that was promised however many years ago....
  • Greatly overestimated how rich I am and ordered selection boxes from Vault city and Holy Goat. Will try to ration, as I'd be one sneeze away from disaster after consuming all that highly alcoholic fruit.

My favourite brewery....really wish they'd open the London taproom that was promised however many years ago....
    I can’t see how that would work. Logistically yes, but when you add the shipping costs, the tap price would be well over £10 a pint. I paid $11 for 12oz, and they only needed to drive it up to Boston. 
  • IdleHans said:
    One of the great joys of going away is discovering new beers. This one is a very fine Welsh brewed IPA with fruity notes but not going too far. Very tasty. 
    If you are in the Snowdonia area, visit Stori in Bala (opposite the Co-op). It does a wide range of Welsh beers and cider, some of which I am enjoying back in Kent 

I can’t see how that would work. Logistically yes, but when you add the shipping costs, the tap price would be well over £10 a pint. I paid $11 for 12oz, and they only needed to drive it up to Boston. 

I presumed that they'd brew locally...but then that wouldn't be the same of course... When you can get cans here, they're usally around the £13 each mark... They only real way to get 'anything' close to them at the moment is when they do collabs (Verdant and Cloudwater the most likely candidates), but even that's 'not real'... There's a new US craft beer shop opened up in Southend (Bucket List Beers for anyone interested), where they have a great selection from Tree House, Equillibrium, Russian River etc etc etc, but starting price tends to be around £14 per can, up to £18/19 ... Now, I love beer and will spend good money on good beer (just got a delivery of the newest 'gold top DIPA' from Track Brewery, Manchester, at £7.50 per can plus shipping), but those prices are too much for me.. I hope they survive...maybe Southend is a secret hotspot of craft beer afficionados?
  • IdleHans said:
    One of the great joys of going away is discovering new beers. This one is a very fine Welsh brewed IPA with fruity notes but not going too far. Very tasty.
    If you are in the Snowdonia area, visit Stori in Bala (opposite the Co-op). It does a wide range of Welsh beers and cider, some of which I am enjoying back in Kent 
    Cheers, but I'm back home now, consoling myself with the prospect of saturday afternoon at the marlow brewery.
    Meanwhile, this was the last of my brought back from Wales beers, possibly the best of the lot.

Presumably they’d brew locally (maybe even onsite)…and then still charge £10 a pint!

When was the last time you were back in London? In parts of the west end it’s really not too far off that sort of price now. You’ll easily pay upwards of £8 a pint in lots of places, £10 pints becoming a regular thing in town are probably only a couple of years away I would guess. 

It’s crazy, the £5 per pint barrier was probably broken just before Covid and the escalation since then has been incredible.
  • Had to be done…a drop of the famous smoked beer at the Schlenkerla brewery in the heart of Bamberg.

• Had to be done…a drop of the famous smoked beer at the Schlenkerla brewery in the heart of Bamberg.

What’s smoked beer like?
  • Sponsored links:

• Its very difficult to light
  • It is said to taste like ham (to the Germans who are used to their fizzy beers). But I found it most enjoyable. Not like a stout but more a stronger tasting European style dark ale. Very malty with a rather pleasant aftertaste. Popular with many as the pic shows. You can queue up at a window to buy the beer and a deposit for the glass (paid back on return of the glass)

• It is said to taste like ham (to the Germans who are used to their fizzy beers). But I found it most enjoyable. Not like a stout but more a stronger tasting European style dark ale. Very malty with a rather pleasant aftertaste. Popular with many as the pic shows. You can queue up at a window to buy the beer and a deposit for the glass (paid back on return of the glass)

Looks like hardly anyone’s drinking at that pub!
  • se9addick said:
    Normal service will now be resumed - Other Half Tomato Factory. 8.5% DIPA with Citra, Vic Secret, Riwaka and Sabro hops. Very fruity but with a very dry finish. 

Presumably they’d brew locally (maybe even onsite)…and then still charge £10 a pint!

When was the last time you were back in London? In parts of the west end it’s really not too far off that sort of price now. You’ll easily pay upwards of £8 a pint in lots of places, £10 pints becoming a regular thing in town are probably only a couple of years away I would guess. 

It’s crazy, the £5 per pint barrier was probably broken just before Covid and the escalation since then has been incredible.
    I’ve been back a few times recently, but those prices don’t bother me because it’s cheaper than here. I’m just skeptical that they could make it work long term, given the resistance I see here to beer prices. 

I’ve always thought it tastes like bacon. It’s an odd one, tastes marvelous to begin with, but I think it’s a bit overpowering by the time you get to the bottom of the glass. 
  • se9addick said:
    Had to be done…a drop of the famous smoked beer at the Schlenkerla brewery in the heart of Bamberg.

What’s smoked beer like?

I'm assuming the one that @Dugdaleclass had is this one. I think it tastes lovely, but it is very smokey. I think there's a limit to how much can be drunk in one go. As nice as it tastes, it's no session ale.
  • Stig said:
    se9addick said:
    Had to be done…a drop of the famous smoked beer at the Schlenkerla brewery in the heart of Bamberg.

What’s smoked beer like?

I'm assuming the one that @Dugdaleclass had is this one. I think it tastes lovely, but it is very smokey. I think there's a limit to how much can be drunk in one go. As nice as it tastes, it's no session ale.
    That’s the one. I didn’t taste the bottled stuff but a mate who did also said it was nice but hard work to finish given the meaty taste. I was on the draught and would of been happy to sup a couple more.
  • On a lighter note, dodging the fizzy blondes you encounter in Bavaria at this time of the year, I hooked up with this Nuremberg red (a local specialty). Refreshing with a nice hoppy tang.

• First home Bruins game of the season - just another 40 to go after this. Back our primary pregame drinking venue - Tip Tap Room. 

Also an excellent excuse not to watch the second half of the England game. 

First up tonight, Hopothocary Ales Gold Standard. Typical NEIPA, 6.5%, very smooth, a bit fruity. Excellent starting beer, picture is half a beer as I was thirsty. 

Does anyone remember the days when a 6.5% beer was the last beer you had, not the first?

• This one caught me by surprise, in a good way. Hill Farmstead Anna - 6.4% Farmhouse Ale made with honey. Not a big honey beer fan, but was highly rated. You can taste the honey, but is a sour. Not super sour, but you definitely know it. I’ve never had anything quite like it, but it’s really good.