Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    A new beer from Lamplighter - Borealis. 8.2% sour with cherries. Really reminds of the original Rodenbach Alexander. Excellent beer. 

• Options
    Lamplighter Nightcap - Imperial stout aged in whiskey barrels. That’s a full pour - 6oz. I think they’re worried about the 14.3%. Smooth, not as rich as I expected. Can definitely taste the whiskey. Nice and warming on a cold night. 

• Options
    A couple of nice glasses.
  • Options
    Why do Americans pour their beer in weight measures (ie ounces) rather than volume measures (ie pints)?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    A fluid ounce is a measurement of volume - there are 20 in a UK pint. They just use it as an expression more than we do as their serving sizes are a bit odd - 12oz, 16oz, 32oz etc. 

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    A fluid ounce is a measurement of volume - there are 20 in a UK pint. They just use it as an expression more than we do as their serving sizes are a bit odd - 12oz, 16oz, 32oz etc. 

Oh I know what a fluid ounce (fl oz) is , but that's not the same thing as an ounce (oz) is it?!
  • Options
    Got myself a beer 52 advent calendar. Didn't have to join beer 52 and at £30 I reckon I've got a bargain on my hands
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Got myself a beer 52 advent calendar. Didn't have to join beer 52 and at £30 I reckon I've got a bargain on my hands
    Until you taste them!
    :-)
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    McBobbin said:
    Until you taste them!
    Probably wouldn't have been my first choice (was eyeing up a Siren box) but for that price, whatever. First couple look decent enough.
  • Options
    Got advent calendar from Beer Party (I think) here was first offering, a little hazy but quaffable 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Off_it said:
    McBobbin said:
    Until you taste them!
    Probably wouldn't have been my first choice (was eyeing up a Siren box) but for that price, whatever. First couple look decent enough.
    I had siren last year (or maybe year before) and found there were too many stouty ones in there for my liking
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    McBobbin said:
    Off_it said:
    McBobbin said:
    Until you taste them!
    I had siren last year (or maybe year before) and found there were too many stouty ones in there for my liking
    Maybe a lucky escape then! Couple of pubs next to my work have Lumina on tap, and that's probably my pint of choice now.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

Oh I know what a fluid ounce (fl oz) is , but that's not the same thing as an ounce (oz) is it?!
    You're right, it isn't. They just don't say fluid as I suppose it's obvious in the context of beer. 
  • Options
    IIdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

You're right, it isn't. They just don't say fluid as I suppose it's obvious in the context of beer. 
    It used to be (US) pints for beer, but as craft beer has grown, and the ABV has gone up, they’ve moved to smaller servings for a lot of beers. You still see pint for some of the 5% beers. 

It’s all a guess anyway, glasses aren’t marked. I saw a beer yesterday that was supposedly 11.5oz instead of 12, which I thought was mildly ridiculous. 

I remember years ago, when pint were all you got, my favorite bar had an impromptu quiz session and gave out some of their pint glasses as prizes. When I used it for a 12oz bottle (which was always the standard bottle size) it filled the glass - they’d been short measuring for years. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    where did you find this bargain?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    where did you find this bargain?
    was here, seems the deal has expired, but there is one other on there Beer Advent Calendar Deals ➡️ Get Cheapest Price, Sales | hotukdeals 

Might be worth a shop around though, I'm sure in the next week or two you could get a deal
  • Options
    Day 2 advent offering. This was very nice 
  • Options
    Three very decent beers tonight at the Tip Tap Room in Boston, before the Bruins game. 

Hill Farmstead Citra Single Hop IPA - I expected that big flowery citra flavor, but this was quite subdued. Very drinkable at 6%. 

Great Nation Over Ripe IPA - the opposite of subdued. Big fruity flavors, mainly mango and guava. Another really quaffable beer at 7%. 

Hill Farmstead Twilight of the Idols Winter Porter. I can taste the cinnamon and coffee, not so much the vanilla. 7.2% for this one. 

I might have to race the crowd up the hill after the game, as there’s a few more that definitely need tasting. 
  • Options
    Have missed a few from the advent box but the middle two here were particularly nice. 

Still don’t like the stouts/porters though
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

A fluid ounce is the volume of an ounce of water, I’m guessing at around 20C and one atmosphere pressure but as it’s Imperial, not metric, it might be slightly different conditions. US pints are 16fl oz hence their serving measures. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Have missed a few from the advent box but the middle two here were particularly nice. 

Still don’t like the stouts/porters though
    I’d happily take those stouts and porters off your hands. 
  • Options

Local beer in Cadiz, one of four they brew. Sadly, they didn’t have the Imperial Stout in stock. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

A fluid ounce is the volume of an ounce of water, I’m guessing at around 20C and one atmosphere pressure but as it’s Imperial, not metric, it might be slightly different conditions. US pints are 16fl oz hence they’re serving measures. 
    Just to confuse things a little more, US fluid ounces are about 4% more than an Imperial fluid ounce. 
  • Options
    Beer like it used to be, but better then it used to be. Smells like beer, tastes like beer. Beer.

Lovely stuff - had it in the mouse hole in gravesend and a bar in Canterbury 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

A fluid ounce is the volume of an ounce of water, I’m guessing at around 20C and one atmosphere pressure but as it’s Imperial, not metric, it might be slightly different conditions. US pints are 16fl oz hence they’re serving measures. 
    Just to confuse things a little more, US fluid ounces are about 4% more than an Imperial fluid ounce. 
    Didn’t know that. Must be more deuterium in the water in the US. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    IdleHans said:

Didn’t know that. Must be more deuterium in the water in the US. 
    It’s more bizarre than that - this from ANSI

“This initiated the divide between the two systems of measurement. Nonetheless, US Customary and Imperial units were, and still remain, mostly the same. However, an American fluid ounce was defined originally as the volume occupied by an ounce of wine, while the Imperial fluid ounce was defined as the volume occupied by an ounce of water. This made the US Customary fluid ounce a little larger, since alcohol is less dense than water.

Read more at the ANSI Blog: Why a Pint is Bigger in the UK than in the US https://blog.ansi.org/?p=158111 “
  • Options
    Had to get the other half some of her favorite Pilsner, and found these on the newly stocked shelves. I’m not sure they’ll make it to Christmas Day 

• Options
    Now this one surprised me. 

Didn’t think I would like this as don’t like lime in my beer but it was quite subtle and then you just get a little hint of a salty aftertaste after you swallow ( oo er missus) 

my favourite so far from the advent box. 
  • Options
    @MrOneLung - sounds like one for a hot summers day, not the depths of winter. I’ll have to see if I can find one, although the chances are slim. Stone is one of the beers you used to find a lot around Boston, but over the years they’ve been driven out by the sheer volume of local breweries. It been years since I saw Arrogant Bastard, and I used to drink that all the time. 
  • Options

Only 3.9% but a lovely drop.

The first decent drink I have had in a week out here in Brazil.  This drop comes from over here in Belo Horizonte.