Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    That is a fantastic selection @cafcbrown. I love Rochefort, Kwak, Chimay and St Bernadus. Sorry to see Duvel and Goudale going down the hoppy route, but that's progress I suppose - OK if they keep their original recipes going as well.
    Not long back from France Goudale still doing the 7.2% blonde.
  • Options
    Tonight’s pregame drink - Casacade Mayan Bourbonic - 11.2%. Sour imperial Porter, aged 2 years in bourbon and wines casks with dates, and the cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne added. 

Sourer than they give it credit for, with a little heat and nice light chocolate flavor. I expected it to be quite heavy, but it’s really easy to drink.

$14 for 8ozs will stop you drinking too much. 

• Options
    I'm off alcohol pending a surgical procedure, and have had no beer for almost six weeks. It's awful! So I've had a look into alcohol free stuff. Gave this a try, £5 for 4 in tesco, and it may be just that I've missed a beer but I really like it. Very hoppy, great piney/citrussy aroma and backs it up with decent flavour. Very nice chilled and I'd happily drink this all evening if I were driving. Recommended.
    Several others in their range including stout and brown ale but they dont seem to be so widely available.
  • Options
    As a PS, I've also found Guinness 0.0 to be decently tasty too. I think the bitterness in this and the one above covers the lack of alcohol much better than you find with low/no alcohol lagers, but I'm not really a lager fan in any case
  • Options
    I hope you are recovering well, Hans. I've never been a fan of low/no, preferring orange juice if I can't drink. I have a friend though who when driving would prefer these beers, he says it makes him feel more a part of the group if it looks like he is drinking the same thing as the rest. He likes Adnam's Ghost Ship 0.5% - might be worth a try.   
  • Options
    Cheers @stig. I've found ghost ship 0.5% to be pretty good too, but most low/no beers really lack decent bitterness and often have a cloying malty aftertaste which I don't enjoy. Big Drop doesn't quite match a real beer but it's as close as I've found, and MUCH better than most AF alternatives. The ingredients list is very clean too.
    I hate sweet drinks like coke and I'm already glugging fruit juices, so an enjoyable near beer is a valuable thing at the moment.
    I'm still allowed red wine in very limited quantities, and am scouring Google to find evidence of the health benefits of stouts and porters. Mrs Idle is currently in charge and favours a very strict regime.

• Options
    Brooklyn Special Effects would be my recommendation for a low/no. Really tasty 
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Thanks. Think my local supermarket has it, I'll ask her to get some
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Thanks. Think my local supermarket has it, I'll ask her to get some
    https://steadydrinker.com/ Is a website with hundreds of reviews of these style of beers on there. I found it useful when I was doing my own period off the booze. 
  • Options
    Happy Friday. A couple of night in Portland, Maine. Novare Res Is having a Tilquin day tomorrow - at least 10. Quick beer at Bissell Brothers and pick up some cans. This one is Reciprocal, all Australian hops, 7.3%, very smooth and fruity. It claims 80IBU, but I can’t find them. Maybe my tastebuds have given up. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

A cracking drop, Burton is going to be hazy tomorrow.
  • Options

A
    At 7.4% this is being avoided!
  • Options
    This was great. 

NEIPA 6.5% by Amundsen Brewery in Oslo. Bags of tropical, fruity flavour but still beery enough too. 
  • Options
    Uncle Dino’s Yummy Bars from Barreled Souls.  

Imperial stout with cocoa nibs, walnuts, almonds and vanilla. Very smooth but you can taste the 14%. 

• Options
    This is different - Ritterguts Urgose Märzen. Sour wheat beer with pines cones, cinnamon , coriander and smoked salt. 

What I can actually taste is a sour, smoked gose. A nice change up from the IPAs and the imperial stout. 

I’ll let you know tomorrow if I ended up with Ritter guts. 

• Options
    No Ritter guts, so we’re off and running on the Tilquin 2022 Fruit Extravaganza. 

First up, Peche. Not very peachy, just a hint in the background, but nicely sour. 

• Options
    Next up - cassis. Again, the fruit is very subtle. It reminds me of how I remember Boon Marriage Parfait. Not as sour as the peche. Very drinkable. 

• Options

Didn’t know this existed until I saw it in the local offie. Not bad but I prefer the sparkling ale. 
  • Options
    No pix for the next two, as they all look the same (pink or not pink). 

Saison Lambic Fruits Res Bois was a blend of unnamed fruits. The fruit was a bit more pronounced, but still not overpowering. This one was a bit more acidic. 

After a couple of Tums to keep everything vaguely under control, Coing, which uses quince. I’ve only had quince in jam, so I was expecting something a bit sweeter. Nope, if anything a bit more acidic than the last one with a dry finish. And I still don’t know what quince tastes like. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Had a few beers in the Porterhouse in Covent Garden yesterday, the Oyster Stout was particularly nice. Also had a red beer (nitro) which wasn't bad either around £6 a pint which isn't to bad for where it is.
  • Options
    Beer like it used to be, but better then it used to be. Smells like beer, tastes like beer. Beer.

• Options
    Follow the bear! Haven’t seen that stuff for years
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Skeptical of @SporadicAddick's assertion, I just had a google. Turns out only the branding is the same, it's been relaunched under new British ownership, but is brewed in Germany under the purity laws and has won an iwc gold medal for best lager. I don't think it's going to taste like the old 3% stuff I drank as a 15 year old. Will keep an eye out for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IdleHans said:
    Skeptical of @SporadicAddick's assertion, I just had a google. Turns out only the branding is the same, it's been relaunched under new British ownership, but is brewed in Germany under the purity laws and has won an iwc gold medal for best lager. I don't think it's going to taste like the old 3% stuff I drank as a 15 year old. Will keep an eye out for it.
    I think we agree, hence my line "better than it used to be"...This is very different from the weak UK brewed piss of the 80's. It's also a premium price relative to other lagers but IMO deservedly so. 

ps, I think its online only - you won't see it in supermarkets or in pubs.
    pps, the picture is from my kitchen - looking forward to tapping my 5L mini keg...

https://www.hofmeister.co.uk/age-gate?source=https://www.hofmeister.co.uk/
  • Options
    'Helles' is the clue there.
  • Options
    Got carried away in the beer shop. Got a vocation Imperial stout with coconut, clearly infringing Bounty bars (and was 10%) and a farmhouse lambic type beer. Both delicious if hideously overpriced.

• Options

Didn’t know this existed until I saw it in the local offie. Not bad but I prefer the sparkling ale. 
    Both times I’ve had one of these in the evening, I’ve woken up with a very thick head the next morning. 
  • Options
    Hofmeister on draught in the Robin Hood, Bexleyheath.