Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the smoking at the Valley.

Comments

• Options

Jimmy, I presume from your name tag you are 28?
    If so, get a life
    At 28 you should not be worrying about people smoking.

You didn't watch nearly enough Columbo.
  • Options
    I think there should be a vigilante group formed to patrol the toilets to keep them free from smoking!

• Options
    Carter said:

DRF said:

Simply put, I don't think the club will do anything unless it's hand is forced. This means somebody being willing to report the club to environmental health and therefore introduce the risk of a large fine. The club would then be forced to weigh up the costs of creating outside smoking areas against the cost of repeated fines for failing to stop smoking inside.

It's not a step I'd be keen to take, but if the situation is getting worse (I've only been to a handful of games this calendar year), then it is something that will happen sooner or later it seems.

Why is the answer always to make someone else enforce it? It really is simply. Stop being totally bloody selfish, stop breaking the law and stop smoking in the goddamn toilets.
    Not really how things get resolved though is it?

From both points of view no matter how extreme and selfish one or the other may seem the solution can be found as a compromise somewhere in the middle. No two ways about it smoking in the toilets or indoors is not on but even the most casual of social smokers can be stressed out to the the point of gasping for a cigarette. Not an excuse I know. But all the while smoking in the toilets is tolerated iy will carry on
    So if the speed limit is 30 and the police catch me at 50 we should find a compromise at, say, 40 ? The law is the law - the compromises were all been made when the law was passed.

And I don't understand why smokers are so delicate that they can only deal with stress by "gasping for a cigarette".
  • Options
    I don't care if people want to speed up their decent into ill health and death by smoking. It's their right to do so. I do care if part of exercising their right has a damaging effect on me in any small way at all. The government of this country agrees with me 100% and agree with me so much that they have put laws in place to protect me. Not only do these laws insist that smoking should not take place in enclosed areas it provides a system of fines to punish the owner of an enclosed space who allows smoking to occur.

It is only a matter of time before CAFC get fined. They will deserve it and have no defence. One malicious ? phone call to Greenwich Council and job done. A £10,000 fine means that every penny I spend with the club when buying my season ticket has literally gone up in smoke for a period of 25 years.

• Options
    Actually the (then) government of this country set out a very different set of rules on smoking in the manifesto they got elected on SHG. They then altered them just before the bill was going through. But that's a different story.

As I said earlier it's not illegal so provide an outside area for smoking, job done. There is no need for some non-smokers to be so intolerant of those that wish to indulge their habit away from those non-smokers.
  • Options
    My arguement isn't about smokers in general, and I couldn't care who smokes, it's just going into the Loos with my son under a cloud of smoke that I don't agree with. It's banned, yet still happening. There should be some respect for parents bringing their kids to the game, regardless of how bad you think the secondary inhallation is/isn't it's just not nice for kids to be around.
  • Options

Actually the (then) government of this country set out a very different set of rules on smoking in the manifesto they got elected on SHG. They then altered them just before the bill was going through. But that's a different story.

As I said earlier it's not illegal so provide an outside area for smoking, job done. There is no need for some non-smokers to be so intolerant of those that wish to indulge their habit away from those non-smokers.

I'm only intolerant when it affects me which at present it does. If an outside space is provided by the club all well and good but it isn't. The club allow smoking and risk a heavy fine which equally pisses me off.

• Options
    Carter said:

DRF said:

Simply put, I don't think the club will do anything unless it's hand is forced. This means somebody being willing to report the club to environmental health and therefore introduce the risk of a large fine. The club would then be forced to weigh up the costs of creating outside smoking areas against the cost of repeated fines for failing to stop smoking inside.

It's not a step I'd be keen to take, but if the situation is getting worse (I've only been to a handful of games this calendar year), then it is something that will happen sooner or later it seems.

Why is the answer always to make someone else enforce it? It really is simply. Stop being totally bloody selfish, stop breaking the law and stop smoking in the goddamn toilets.

From both points of view no matter how extreme and selfish one or the other may seem the solution can be found as a compromise somewhere in the middle. No two ways about it smoking in the toilets or indoors is not on but even the most casual of social smokers can be stressed out to the the point of gasping for a cigarette. Not an excuse I know. But all the while smoking in the toilets is tolerated iy will carry on
    I can be horny beyond reason, I still wait til I get home from the pub to bash one out. Don't like having to wait to have a cigerette? Don't come to a public place for 2 hours where smoking is illegal. Can't believe some of the excuses getting wheeled out in this thread, smoking in a public place like the valley is illegal and is terrible for not only the smokers health but the people around them as well. Can't wait for a ciggy? Don't come to a game, then realise your drug habit is infringing on the things you enjoy in life and then realise that by smoking you will eventually be at such a state where you can't do anything without being on an oxygen tank. Does my chances of getting cancer and tarring up my lungs increase when you have a beer next to me? Not at all, does smoking? Yes. That's why it's illegal in football stadiums.
  • Options
    There's isn't one simple solution rather a number of changes need to be made.

Those smokers who will listen to reason need to do so and stop smoking in the toilets.

Those smokers who don't listen to reason need to be stopped

The Club needs to enforce the rules and fans need to challenge and point out the the smokers

Fans need to then not blame the stewards or label them "jobsworths" for doing their jobs even if that means you or a mate getting thrown out of the ground

The Club and the fans, via the Fans Forum or whatever, should put pressure on the police and local authority to trial "outside" smoking areas as suggested by Carter above with hand stamps and £1 fee to pay for the barriers and stewarding. That could mean the Fans Forum or other fans ie YOU funding the barriers in the short term.

All the rest about self-control, car fumes, free choice, secondary smoking etc etc is an interesting debate but a solution needs some will to act, some action, some support and some money.

• Options

Carter said:

DRF said:

I can be horny beyond reason, I still wait til I get home from the pub to bash one out. Don't like having to wait to have a cigerette? Don't come to a public place for 2 hours where smoking is illegal. Can't believe some of the excuses getting wheeled out in this thread, smoking in a public place like the valley is illegal and is terrible for not only the smokers health but the people around them as well. Can't wait for a ciggy? Don't come to a game, then realise your drug habit is infringing on the things you enjoy in life and then realise that by smoking you will eventually be at such a state where you can't do anything without being on an oxygen tank. Does my chances of getting cancer and tarring up my lungs increase when you have a beer next to me? Not at all, does smoking? Yes. That's why it's illegal in football stadiums.
    Theres plenty of wankers in the North Upper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My arguement isn't about smokers in general, and I couldn't care who smokes, it's just going into the Loos with my son under a cloud of smoke that I don't agree with. It's banned, yet still happening. There should be some respect for parents bringing their kids to the game, regardless of how bad you think the secondary inhallation is/isn't it's just not nice for kids to be around.

agree with this.
  • Options
    But not my money.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ordinary fans "challenging" smokers is not a realistic option in my opinion as they will be the ones evicted from the ground for causing trouble.

I've seen and experienced it in other walks of life where an innocent party challenging a wrongdoing is the one that ends up being punished.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited November 2013

Carter said:

DRF said:

I wouldn't worry, go to the CAFC bogs and bash one out. It is up to the club to provide you somewhere to do this if they don't want you to do it in public.
    It turns that stress relieving (which I assume this would be) is an acceptable excuse for doing whatever you want at football.
  • Options
    I thought the groans I hear at The Valley were all related to to watching the match. Perhaps not !
  • Options
    The only way to stop the problem is to close the toilets.
  • Options
    I think Henry has nailed it on the head. I'd gladly pay £1 to go outside for a smoke and not piss off my fellow supporters. We're all Charlton at the end of the day, we should really all be getting on.
  • Options

Carter said:

DRF said:

Smoking is not illegal at football stadiums. Charlton imposed a complete smoking ban. This is not a rerquirement by law.
    As for not not coming to the game, i was coming here when this was perfectly acceptable, so don't get on your fucking high horse about who should/shouldn't come to watch football.
    However, smoking in the toilets is not acceptable. I would not lower myself to do this. On the few occasions i go now, i would just go out on the forecourt of the east stand and have one, and if by standing on the bank of the Landsdown Mews entrance having a cigarette annoys you, then bollocks to ya.
    Thats my lot on this subject.
  • Options

I think Henry has nailed it on the head. I'd gladly pay £1 to go outside for a smoke and not piss off my fellow supporters. We're all Charlton at the end of the day, we should really all be getting on.

If your that desperate you'd surely pay £10 - yes ?
  • Options
    Hex said:

I'm never desperate, I can easily go the whole game without lighting one up. I just enjoy a smoke when I have a beer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Hex said:

I'm never desperate, I can easily go the whole game without lighting one up. I just enjoy a smoke when I have a beer.

you drink as well, wtf is the matter with you?
  • Options

Carter said:

DRF said:

Smoking is not illegal at football stadiums. Charlton imposed a complete smoking ban. This is not a rerquirement by law.
    As for not not coming to the game, i was coming here when this was perfectly acceptable, so don't get on your fucking high horse about who should/shouldn't come to watch football.
    However, smoking in the toilets is not acceptable. I would not lower myself to do this. On the few occasions i go now, i would just go out on the forecourt of the east stand and have one, and if by standing on the bank of the Landsdown Mews entrance having a cigarette annoys you, then bollocks to ya.
    Thats my lot on this subject.
    Think you might need a fag.

• Options
    A few barriers around one of the exits in the west, some around one of the exits in the north, and sectioned off areas at the back of the east and south. Only allowed out at half time, allowing the barriers to be removed before the end of the game. They will each need to be supervised by 2 stewards. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Carter said:

DRF said:

So if the speed limit is 30 and the police catch me at 50 we should find a compromise at, say, 40 ? The law is the law - the compromises were all been made when the law was passed.

And I don't understand why smokers are so delicate that they can only deal with stress by "gasping for a cigarette".

Carter said:

DRF said:

Don't think I've said once it is ok to smoke in the toilets

I am acknowledging a problem and offering a solution though

And if you want to bang one out in the toilets crack on mate.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Ross said:

A few barriers around one of the exits in the west, some around one of the exits in the north, and sectioned off areas at the back of the east and south. Only allowed out at half time, allowing the barriers to be removed before the end of the game. They will each need to be supervised by 2 stewards. Problem solved.

Far too much like common sense that one mate, you'll be suggesting a levy of about a pound next
  • Options
    Ross said:

No, problem not solved. You'd need permission from the police and local authority to do that first. I'd guess you'd need more than two stewards as well.

Plus Stewards and barriers cost money
  • Options

Ross said:

No, problem not solved. You'd need permission from the police and local authority to do that first. I'd guess you'd need more than two stewards as well.

Plus Stewards and barriers cost money
    Problem solved in theory then.
  • Options
    Does my chances of getting cancer and tarring up my lungs increase when you have a beer next to me? Not at all, does smoking? Yes. That's why it's illegal in football stadiums.

KA, Over the last 50 years I've been assaulted five times to varying degrees at football matches...all assaults were fueled by alcohol. Strangely enough I've never been assaulted by a smoker.
  • Options

Does my chances of getting cancer and tarring up my lungs increase when you have a beer next to me? Not at all, does smoking? Yes. That's why it's illegal in football stadiums.

KA, Over the last 50 years I've been assaulted five times to varying degrees at football matches...all assaults were fueled by alcohol. Strangely enough I've never been assaulted by a smoker.

Your lungs have.

• Options
    Smoking at The Valley is now an agenda item at the next Safety Advisory Group meeting in the New Year.

A couple of obvious options have been suggested. I will work with the Club and Greenwich Council on how we can improve the situation, prevent smoking where it is illegal and looking at the possible options which may be available for those who need to smoke.