Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the smoking at the Valley.

I am sick of having to inhale the dangerous and toxic smoke of scores of hurriedly smoked cigarettes every time I am brave enough to use the toilets in the Lower North. I am not sure what it is like elsewhere in the stadium but the Club needs to take a zero tolerance approach to this.

Smoking in a public place is illegal and it is the responsibility of the Club to enforce this law. Spray painting warnings without taking action is pointless.

With the advent of e-cigarettes there is an alternative for smokers which is not dangerous to others.

Stub It Out Charlton!

Comments

• Options
    It is getting worse every match
  • Options
    Is there a provision made for them to smoke outside?
  • Options
    Smoking in all toilets and even out on the concourse in the North Upper at half time! Couldn't believe the number of Leeds fans in the covered end yesterday.
  • Options

Is there a provision made for them to smoke outside?

No
  • Options
    Nope. When someone asked the club they said that as it wasn't feasible for the Covered End to allow people out into the road to smoke at h/t they couldn't allow people to go behind the East and West stands. Personally I can't see that, there is plenty of room behind all stands, but then I suppose it might be down to how many stewards are needed and the costs.
  • Options
    So there lies the problem.
  • Options

So there lies the problem.

Exactly - I guess it would actually be better from an anti-smoker point of view to let them puff in their seats at half time, at least the antis could get away to the concourse and the smoke would dissipate...

• Options
    It won't kill you to stop smoking for a couple of hours but it will if you do smoke.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

It won't kill you to stop smoking for a couple of hours but it will if you do smoke.

This!

I get that it's difficult to allow fans out, given the position of the ground, but no reason why the club can't allocate space behind the East and give people the chance to re-locate if they really can't, sadly, cope without a fag for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    I bring this subject up every season. I don't go into the bogs in the north upper now. I use the ones on the staircase to NW Upper. Not feasible for everyone I realise. I have e mailed the club several times and all I get is the usual platitudes about the club take this very seriously blah blah blah. I am at the point now where I hope the club get a cracking 10k fine which should focus their attention to this disgusting situation. A fine of 10k would mean my season ticket contribution for 25 years or so goes literally up in smoke. Brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I bring this subject up every season. I don't go into the bogs in the north upper now. I use the ones on the staircase to NW Upper. Not feasible for everyone I realise. I have e mailed the club several times and all I get is the usual platitudes about the club take this very seriously blah blah blah. I am at the point now where I hope the club get a cracking 10k fine which should focus their attention to this disgusting situation. A fine of 10k would mean my season ticket contribution for 25 years or so goes literally up in smoke. Brilliant.

You WANT the club to get a "cracking £10k fine"?
  • Options
    My husband is a heavy smoker and he manages to last the match without needing to smoke. He knows he can't smoke so accepts it. If he can last that long, anyone can..
  • Options
    Off_it said:

You WANT the club to get a "cracking £10k fine"?
    Of course not. Why would I want my season ticket money for 25 years to go as a fine. My point is I hate smoking with a passion and I find it offensive that the club are not taking their legal obligation seriously. A fine would change this overnight. Perhaps that what the numbties that run the club need.

• Options
    Sorry SHG, still not sure I understand about the fine bit.

Get the rest of it though. I hate smoking, but I'm old enough to remember smoking at football, in pubs, on trains, down the tube, etc, and I don't remember it bothering me as much then as it would now.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Something has to change. This rule of no smoking in a public place is to protect non smokers has not worked. Let's look at it this way, if the club made a space available for people to smoke then only smokers would go there as not everyone has to smoke. However, everyone has to use the toilet
    For the record, I am a non smoker who believe that smokers should have a place to smoke.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Something has to change. This rule of no smoking in a public place is to protect non smokers has not worked. Let's look at it this way, if the club made a space available for people to smoke then only smokers would go there as not everyone has to smoke. However, everyone has to use the toilet

Maybe if people just started doing number ones and number twos in their seats it might make a difference - a sort of dirty protest.
  • Options
    It really is gross and smokers are the epitome of selfish. However I would be in favour of a stewarded outside area but the club should charge people a quid to enter it before the game and at ht. Then maybe the club can make some money from these stinky selfish people.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Get the rest of it though. I hate smoking, but I'm old enough to remember smoking at football, in pubs, on trains, down the tube, etc, and I don't remember it bothering me as much then as it would now.

Because you were simply used to Offy. Now you are not, and the smell etc is a lot mor unbearable as a result.

As an ex smoker who would admit to previously having a crafty in the bogs at ht, I can see both sides.

Even then as a smoker all I wanted was the club to open the gate by the NE section and partition off an area with two stewards. And then after doing that, go hard on any that still insist on smoking in the bogs.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Because you were simply used to Offy. Now you are not, and the smell etc is a lot mor unbearable as a result.

As an ex smoker who would admit to previously having a crafty in the bogs at ht, I can see both sides.

Even then as a smoker all I wanted was the club to open the gate by the NE section and partition off an area with two stewards. And then after doing that, go hard on any that still insist on smoking in the bogs.
    Selfish bastard!
  • Options
    sorry, ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure I agree with that first assumption cafc999.

I'm like Off_it in that I remember what it was like when people were able to smoke everywhere. A friend & I had to search our Cannon St train every night for the one single section ( the carriage that was split into single cabins) that was the NON-smoker.

I like the fact that I can have a night out now and not smell cigarette smoke on my clothes the next day. I think it has worked very well, where people understand the law and that seems to be about 99% of the places I know.

Why should The Valley be the exception? As ME14 says, her husband is a heavy smoker and can manage to abstain for two hours. No reason why others can't, but they obviously think they're special (needs).
  • Options
    Until smoking is made illegal provision should be made for smokers. I am an ex smoker who had no problem going for a couple of hours without a fag during a game, or eight hours during a flight.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I'm like Off_it in that I remember what it was like when people were able to smoke everywhere. A friend & I had to search our Cannon St train every night for the one single section ( the carriage that was split into single cabins) that was the NON-smoker.

I like the fact that I can have a night out now and not smell cigarette smoke on my clothes the next day. I think it has worked very well, where people understand the law and that seems to be about 99% of the places I know.

Why should The Valley be the exception? As ME14 says, her husband is a heavy smoker and can manage to abstain for two hours. No reason why others can't, but they obviously think they're special (needs).

You cannot go for a piss in the north lower without coming out stinking of smoke though!

You are right though about not having to endure the smell of smoke during a night out, but you still have to walk through a wall of smoke to get into most pubs now.

• Options
    cafc999 said:

TelMc32 said:

You cannot go for a piss in the north lower without coming out stinking of smoke though!

You are right though about not having to endure the smell of smoke during a night out, but you still have to walk through a wall of smoke to get into most pubs now.

Sorry mate...I was talking about where you say - This rule of no smoking in a public place is to protect non smokers has not worked - I actually think it is helping, but it will take years for that to be proven in terms of deaths attributed to passive smoking.

In terms of the here and now, it's a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned and, I have to say, a number of smokers I know.
  • Options

Until smoking is made illegal provision should be made for smokers. I am an ex smoker who had no problem going for a couple of hours without a fag during a game, or eight hours during a flight.

Yeah, it's a mental thing. I'd like to be able to smoke at half-time and have when allowed at Cardiff, Brentford, Notts County etc, but I refrain from it at The Valley. There are those though who think they 'need' to smoke and do so by any way they can (in the toilets).

Smoking will never be made illegal as billions and billions are made through taxing it. Of course, then people will moan about the 'burden on the NHS' even though costs are very easily covered. Or they should be, God knows where all that cash goes.

• Options
    Remember smoking a spliff at The Valley many moons ago...nobody complained. The Who were brilliant.
  • Options
    It's 2 hours for Christ sake - how addicted must you be not to be able to wait ?
  • Options
    Its not even two hours. I had to pop to the loo 15 mins into a game last season and there was already someone smoking in the bogs, they had probably been in the ground half hour at most.
  • Options

It's 2 hours for Christ sake - how addicted must you be not to be able to wait ?

Drinking beer and watching Charlton are enough to make anyone chain smoke.
  • Options
    I don't get why there should be a provision for smokers. There's a lot of things I like doing that wouldn't be welcome at The Valley, but I'd not expect them to set up a little private room for me! As a non-public smoker, I see absolutely no reason to pander to smokers. People smoking in public are pretty selfish, so f*** em.