Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ref

Comments

• Options
    he set the tone by not booking a Leeds player for a tackle from behind in the first few minutes.

even then I was thinking Far Eastern betting syndicate.
  • Options
    Thought he was consistent.............consistently shit.
  • Options
    I don't use this word lightly but he really was a CUNT!
  • Options
    Would love to see the assessment given to this Ref. today.
    Missed a blatent penalty when Church was bought down. Today's result should be Charlton 2, Mccormack and Ref 4!
    Worse ref that I have ever seen. Allowed to take the piss out of him in the first half.
  • Options

I thought Michael Brown refereed the game.

This made me chuckle a lot.
  • Options
    The ref was diabolical but was not the reason Charlton lost.

• Options
    vff said:

But it was a contributory factor, like it or not.

• Options
    C**T....end of!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The referee has to be applauded for getting the game on. He then felt he had to justify every decision because of the conditions and because of this made some ridiculous, appalling calls. It must have been hard out there for the poor guy and he is one of the better refs in the league, but today he melted and was dictated to by the Leeds players. I hope he watches the DVD of the game, because he will be embarrassed by some of the decisions he made today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Judging by the ratings he's clearly got a problem with south london/surrey clubs.
  • Options
    Firstly, can I say I am a qualified referee so I am able to comment on this. He certainly was a contributory factor, there could have been some slight contact on the first pen (I had a very clear view) but nowhere near enough to go down on let alone give a penalty. Our one was a clear penalty and why would church go down when he had a clear shot on goal? Lastly I think it was JJ in the box towards the end of the match who a leeds defender decided to put him in a head lock in an obvious manner and I found it extraordinary that it wasn't given, if it was anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given, lino simply didn't have the guts. Lastly the free kick that led to the own goal looked to me like the player slipped over the referee's foot! whether he did or not though was irrelevant the ref should have positioned himself much better than that, and anyway it looked to me by he way he tripped it wasn't due to a challenge because it was the other leg that he fell on. Everyone has off days and refereeing is tough but that was one of the worst performances I have ever seen. things didn't go our way but overall I felt that there were many more positives than negatives COYR
  • Options
    The ref at the Huddersfield Birmingham match gave B'ham's third goalscorer a yellow card (his second) for celebrating in front of his own supporters. The player kept his shirt on. I'm sure players go onto the pitch nowadays totally unsure what goes on in referees minds.
  • Options

Morrison was lucky not to be sent off. On another day he would have gone for the challenge on Brown.

Nothing in it Clem, probably looked worse from the North than the East. Wasn't a bunch of players wanting to retaliate, and Brown was barely touched despite how he made it look.

For me the ref was a significant factor, and DMC has said much of what I wanted to say more eloquently than I can be bothered with. It just doesn't seem right that the ref's sympathies tended away from the only team trying to play football.
  • Options

vff said:

But it was a contributory factor, like it or not.

Contributory but not the main reason. The other reason is that is McCormack, Blackstock and Kenny had better individual quality. Their strikers scored and their goalkeeper saved. Ours didn't.

For me the main reason is that we failed to account for McCormack in the tactical set up. Both Stewart and Harriots didn't work as it left the defence exposed. Wilson is also a very average right back, who forgets to do the main thing, that he should be doing, which is being a right back.

I am hoarse at yelling at the ref about how rubbish he was. But in acknowledging how dire the referee is, the blame for the defeat should should not be used as an excuse as to why we lost the game.

• Options
    I was in the East and also thought he could have been sent off - lost the ball and went in late with no chance of winning it back.

Personally I think some of the comments about the referee are over the top.
    The CAFC Twitter account said that from the press box vantage point their penalty was the right decision, and to my eyes the free kick for the fourth goal was correct.

We lost because we defended badly at some key points and their keeper made a few decent saves.
  • Options
    I had a good angle and I can tell you that there was minimal contact and the dive was out of proportion to the contact. It was not a penalty. It was a shit decision.
  • Options
    I thought that church went looking for a penalty from where I was (Which was front row of the north with him running towards me)
    Some poor decisions today but at the end of the day they had better quality where it mattered.
  • Options
    I was in NU and Harriott got to ball first. It hit hoardings directly in front of him . Didn't see Church contact but he was past their guy with a great shot on goal. Why go down. He couldn't see a foot from behind, so there must have been contact. Apart from his obvious mistakes, ref pulled as back yards from where contact occurred for our rare FKs but non-fk on touchline was taken 5 yards inside pitch. FKs for goals were a joke. Why don't assistants have balls to have some input? What was offside about rebound off Leeds guy giving us a shot?
  • Options
    Looks ropey on highlights, but right in front of me also in NU and was so obviously not a penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two men went for a 50:50 ball and one dived as if he'd been shot.

I thought that in the Covered End Upper this afternoon to the extent that I abused the ref something I rarely if ever do.

I saw nothing to change my mind later on the Football league show either.

Church was blatantly pushed in the back in the area in the second half which the ref completely ignored and the first half one similarly although he should have stayed up in my view as the contact was mnimal.
  • Options
    Long and short of it blame ref all we like we defended abysmally for 3 of the goaks and deserved what we got .
  • Options
    I am so hacked off with the ref today that I've decided to come back for a second go. After a lot of thought I can honestly say that I agree with the OP that that is THE WORST refereeing performance I can remember. I can remember odd decisions that were worse than some today, but such a poor display from start to finish, never!

I have been one of the fiercest critics of the notion of technological support for referees but on that abysmal performance I feel that I'm changing my mind. Calamity-Keith should be removed from the refs list straight away. For any game that he is due to ref, they should phone up Honda and ask to borrow Asimo the robot instead. Lets face it, if the android fell over in the first minute and spent the rest of the match futilely trying to burrow its way into the centre circle, it would still make better quality decisions than Mr Stroud and his white stick.
  • Options
    From where i sit in the north upper block k my first reaction for the leeds 2nd goal was that it was a pen tho i have not seen any tv coverage yet. Thought the ref was very inconsistent but seen alot worse than him down the valley. The church one for me is thats its either a pen or u book church for diving if u dont think its a pen. Very poor decision. I felt it was a pen.
  • Options
    I think this comment from Leeds' fans says enough for all of us...

"Re: Charlton v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
    by 1964white on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

This from someone at the game

An unusual consequence for us Leeds fans

"Anyway ... the ref was an absolute AWAY team hero. Honestly, he was IMMENSE in our victory. Really brilllllllliant"

Can Keith Stroud ref our games every week"

I'm not going to blame the ref solely for our defeat today, but he was quite obviously a very big contributing factor.

Our defending was poor and our goalkeeper had a mare of a game, but those same players have been superb for the last 4/5 games. Unfortunately, that makes it all the more galling when they then turn off like they did today and Stroud's performance just adds to the frustration that we should have beaten a pretty awful, bar McCormack & to a lesser extent Kenny, Leeds side.
  • Options
    A cheat. From the start of the game he made it clear that he was officiating a Leeds win. I have to assume he's getting paid for this
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Two men went for a 50:50 ball and one dived as if he'd been shot.

I thought that in the Covered End Upper this afternoon to the extent that I abused the ref something I rarely if ever do.

Same, I usually give refs the benefit of the doubt. Sitting in the front of the lower north though, I made sure he heard me. Twat.
  • Options
    perhaps he was cheesed off with us as he had to work overtime due to the state of the valley pitch .. maybe he was on a promise and missed out
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I've no idea how easy it would be to pick any league referee and compile a dossier of quotes slating them. That's because, before yesterday's shambolic performance, I've never felt the need. All I can say is that in Calamity Keith's case it was a very easy job:

Fans often come away from a game of football berating the performance of the referee, but the antics of last night's man in the middle Keith Stroud took the officiating lunacy to another level! Officials often get tarnished with trying to be the "centre of attention", but those three words probably couldn't be more apt when analysing Mr Stroud's evening. http://www.sheffieldunited-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/the_curious_case_of_keith_stroud_792101/index.shtml

Outspoken Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony pointed the finger of blame at a truly abysmal display from referee Keith Stroud who capped an inconsistent, error-strewn, petty performance by delaying the final whistle until Leeds had poached their last-gasp winner. http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh_2_leeds_3_posh_left_fuming_as_leeds_snatch_a_96th_minute_winner_1_3178845

My thoughts are that, after 2 years, Keith Stroud & Steve Tanner are not cut out to referee in the top flight as I felt both had a poor detection of SFP & also they both lacked the confidence required to "sell" contentious decisions & assert themselves on the field. Therefore, I feel that their demotion is the right decision. http://s8.zetaboards.com/ratetheref/topic/8159771/1/

That was the game where we were one-nil up at half-time and in which referee Keith Stroud did everything possible to wreck Brentford’s promotion hopes with a flurry of penalties against us and two red cards. Another game where you could argue that two promotion sealing points were dropped or, rather, stolen as the Bees ended the game with nine men on the pitch and lost Tony Craig for the run in. If you want somebody to blame, then start with Mr. Stroud. http://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/tag/keith-stroud/

That it wasn’t a particularly dirty game (the egregious Dave Kitson aside, whose “performance” has added him to the pantheon of hate figures alongside Gary Owers, Jamie Cureton and Martin Rowlands) but still yielded so many booking and sendings off only scratches at the surface of how appalling the referee Keith Stroud was. http://botzarelli.wordpress.com/tag/keith-stroud/

Whilst also critical of Mr Stroud’s assistants and accusing the official of “embarrassing” Yeovil by ending the game immediately after Swindon scored a second, Johnson said: “I’m not going to complain about the penalty, it could, it couldn’t have been. What I can complain about a little bit is the inconsistency of Mr Stroud. I always seem to get his inconsistency when he comes against my team so I hope it’s not just me. http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Gary-Johnson-critical-referee-inconsistency/story-18483646-detail/story.html#axzz2kFNL0zXL

There was also a moment of controversy that caused an uproar within sections of the home support on the half-hour mark, as referee Keith Stroud appeared to take two touches to backheel the ball after it hit the official. http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/shaun.wheatcroft/321594/leicester-city-0-0-leeds-united-foxes-draw-a-blank-with-whites

ALEX manager Steve Davis was not happy with referee Keith Stroud after watching his side slip to a 2-0 defeat at Leyton Orient on Saturday. He felt two penalty decisions given against his men in the first half, particularly the second for a foul against defender George Ray, were 'dubious'. http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/crewe-alexandra-boss-steve-davis-5782347

BURTON Albion boss Gary Rowett complained not enough was done by the match officials to control Scunthorpe United’s ‘disruptive’ tactics in yesterday’s 2-2 draw. Rowett made his feelings clear to Iron manager Brian Laws as the game reached full-time and then marched on to the pitch to make his point to referee Keith Stroud once the whistle had blown. http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Burton-boss-complains-officials-didn-t-stop-Iron/story-19861604-detail/story.html

There was an air of hilarity about the kick-off after referee Stroud’s decision, with the wags in the home crowd chanting: “Are you Palace in disguise?” http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/307784/Crystal-Palace-0-Barnsley-0-Strip-chaos-at-palace
  • Options
    The Ramires penalty was more of a penalty than theirs