Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell admits player contracts need sorting quickly

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    No arctic wastes in Cyprus.
  • Options

Rob62 said:

What astounds me is the fact that the board don't see it as good business to sign him up on a long term deal. They must have a reason but I can't see it.

I'm sure they do. But until the player contracts are sorted he isn't going to sign anything
    But the players might be thinking along the same lines and reluctant to commit to a club, not knowing who'll be in charge next season.............
    Exactly. For me, Powell is someone who (i) has a vision (ii) understands the club (iii) has demonstrated what he's capable of (iv) is committed - it's a sound commitment for a business to have a capable manager who wants to work for the club's best. Are there better managers out there for the cost? I'd wager relatively few, if any.

Even so, the key players need to be sorted sooner than later, and preferably before the transfer window hits - or they might go for peanuts.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

What astounds me is the fact that the board don't see it as good business to sign him up on a long term deal. They must have a reason but I can't see it.

Personally, I assume that the board (most boards) are looking to reduce wages.

If they offer new contracts, early doors, then they must be keen to keep the player/manager & would find ,it more difficult, to say, "we really value & want to keep you, so here's a reduced contract !"

However, if they play the waiting game, they're hoping that the players won't get better offers & they can then be re-signed on reduced contracts. Like Evina.

I understand the dilemna, but it's high risk.

However, Jimenez & Slater are all about high risk.

Just my opinion.

Absolutely untrue Evina was resigned on a reduced contract. He was the worst paid senior player in the team by a considerable distance last season.
  • Options
    Been thinking about the "lame duck" comment. Initially it rings true but then you look at the way most club owners change managers more often than they change their silk undies and you wonder why players would be put off if they thought the manager would be leaving in the summer. How many clubs will have the same manager in June next year?