Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell admits player contracts need sorting quickly

Comments

• Options

The board are not Charlton fans though are they, CP is just another manager/employee to them. Its a results game and if they feel they could get someone in to do better I really think they would do it.

There was uproar when Southampton sacked Adkin's, talk of a boycott, season tickets to be ripped up etc etc.

Now look, near on a full house each week, top 6 most of the season.............................Adkin's......who's he?

As I said in a separate thread a few months back, although Adkins being sacked was a disgrace he never played for them, never had the same association and affinity and wasn't a club legend as a player.

I genuinely think there would be a boycott, season tickets ripped up if that happened here, also I don't think the fans properly turned on the owners at Saints, here Slater and Jimenez would get a ridiculous amount of abuse, would make it impossible for them to bring clients, family to games etc.
    Sorry to say but I think you are typing with your Charlton heart on your sleeve. There are a lot of youngsters that do not even remember Powell as a player, a lot of elderly fans who will moan to the fan next to them over a half time cuppa but it will end there and then there is us who have this site.

"Boycott", "season tickets ripped up", "ridiculous amount of abuse".......been said before at dozens of clubs and it never happens.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

^ Trouble is people follow blindly, we have already had plenty of fans say in the past that they support the club and not the manager.

But if push came to shove, shine, it might be a different ball game...

Not saying everyone would boycott/ rip up season tickets but we'd definitely make some BIG noise & ensure every football fan in the country knew how our loyal supporters felt.

Best replace those worn out permanent markers.

I feel several banners coming on....

• Options

Powell is doing a good job. If he wasn't they would sack him if they could afford it. They are not afraid of a fans backlash.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If a player signs a new contract tomorrow, will their new wage start from then or from the day their current contract expires?
  • Options

If a player signs a new contract tomorrow, will their new wage start from then or from the day their current contract expires?

Will depend on the contract terms but most likely from the day they sign it.

It could be a contract on the same terms only extended for another year or two. This would be more likely with the older players such as Cort or Wood or they could even be offered less. The attraction for a longer contract on lower terms for an older player is that it is two years guaranteed money with no need to move house etc against maybe another contract somewhere at the other end of the country or no contract at all.

But the players Powell mentioned by name were the younger players with a re-sale value (Hamer, Morrison, Wiggins). All early to mid 20s, all first teamers. No mention of Stephens I note.

Waiting on the older players makes some sense although there is also the argument that JJ and Yann are vital parts of the squad and should be kept.

Waiting on the younger first team players does seem a very high risk plan or, if you are cynical, no plan at all.

Or that the plan is just to spend as little as possible until the day when the club gets sold.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

The board are not Charlton fans though are they, CP is just another manager/employee to them. Its a results game and if they feel they could get someone in to do better I really think they would do it.

There was uproar when Southampton sacked Adkin's, talk of a boycott, season tickets to be ripped up etc etc.

Now look, near on a full house each week, top 6 most of the season.............................Adkin's......who's he?

As I said in a separate thread a few months back, although Adkins being sacked was a disgrace he never played for them, never had the same association and affinity and wasn't a club legend as a player.

I genuinely think there would be a boycott, season tickets ripped up if that happened here, also I don't think the fans properly turned on the owners at Saints, here Slater and Jimenez would get a ridiculous amount of abuse, would make it impossible for them to bring clients, family to games etc.
    Sorry to say but I think you are typing with your Charlton heart on your sleeve. There are a lot of youngsters that do not even remember Powell as a player, a lot of elderly fans who will moan to the fan next to them over a half time cuppa but it will end there and then there is us who have this site.

"Boycott", "season tickets ripped up", "ridiculous amount of abuse".......been said before at dozens of clubs and it never happens.
    I agree about boycotts etc but the risk is that people will drift away quietly, not renew and so our season ticket base reduces again.

The Soton situation wasn't the same. Adkins was sacked and immediately replaced. That costs money to compensate Nigel and pay the new guy. The current board did something similar with Parkinson when Howe Powell joined

Powell's contract is just being left to run down with no explanation as to why forthcoming from Prothero or Slater leaving him possibly a lame duck manager. How can he convince a player to sign if the likely response is "but are you going to be here, Gaffer?".

If the board don't want Powell then wouldn't it be "better" (from their perspective not mine) to do it know and give the new guy time to get to know the squad and start the rebuilding in the way that CP did in 2011?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    you cant compare southampton Cortesi was and still is rolling in serious amounts of money.

do like the focus on the youth development, a la southampton, from us as thats one of the few ways in which the smaller clubs compete. thats why i find it so frustrating that a lad can be poached by a tier 1 for so little by way of compenstation.

totally agree that until the sign the gaffer, where is the incentive for the players. most managers would have pionted this out but powelly is a class above that.

songs of "sign him up sign him up sign him up" might be the best way forward. for every player lol.
  • Options

It would really depend on how well the new manager did, the first few games going badly could be a tipping point for the board. They could either do a Pochettino or a Steve Kean.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    all very precarious. Not that I'm a pessimist, but the board, SCP and the players will likely be weighing up the proposition of which league we will be playing in next season - I think I'd be in 2 minds on what the best option would be if my contract was running out at the end of the season. Apart from the young players, am I right in saying only Solly has signed a new extension this season as a more senior player ?
  • Options
    Hope so fanny (although obviously hope it doesnt come to that)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Singing he'll go if they go so will I.

• Options
    The points Henry makes in his last post are the ones most interesting me. The "lame duck" manager is particularly worrying.
  • Options
    By what has been reported, most of the said players seem to want to be offered a new deal and to stay! Powell's comments probably meant to encourage the board to get going with them - probably easier to do now we have hit some form!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

The fact that he is still at Charlton proves that he loves Charlton. Most managers would have walked months ago.

Really? I can't think of too many managers who have simply walked away from a job. Mr Holloway may have just done this.....but it's very much the exception.

We all love CP, but at the end of the day it is his livelihood. Walking away from a managerial role would not help his bank balance or his prospects of finding future employment.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Powell is still being paid and his reputation is still being enhanced, so absolutely no reason for him to walk away - not taking into account his clear affection for the club and its supporters. If the club is taken over, I doubt there will be many better jobs available to him too!
  • Options

I agree about boycotts etc but the risk is that people will drift away quietly, not renew and so our season ticket base reduces again.

The Soton situation wasn't the same. Adkins was sacked and immediately replaced. That costs money to compensate Nigel and pay the new guy. The current board did something similar with Parkinson when Howe Powell joined

Powell's contract is just being left to run down with no explanation as to why forthcoming from Prothero or Slater leaving him possibly a lame duck manager. How can he convince a player to sign if the likely response is "but are you going to be here, Gaffer?".

If the board don't want Powell then wouldn't it be "better" (from their perspective not mine) to do it know and give the new guy time to get to know the squad and start the rebuilding in the way that CP did in 2011?

Like they did with Curbishley? No thanks! And there is no business case.

As Powell says "my players" etc. - new manager = high risk of relegation and very expensive.

We all agree that younger first team players should be signed now to follow on from the signings of top Academy players and Solly... but will it happen?
  • Options
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that Powell doesn't want to discuss a contract renewal for himself, until he knows that the players he wants to keep, have been secured.
  • Options
    Good point covered end .As for Chris Powells interview it was immaculate.What a man .As OohAah says"we are not worthy".
  • Options

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that Powell doesn't want to discuss a contract renewal for himself, until he knows that the players he wants to keep, have been secured.

I'm pretty sure that was what he said at the VIP Q&A.
  • Options
    Boycotts and protests have happened in the past, and is especially relevant for our club. Leaving the Valley for Selhurst was a massive mistake, and lost the club a generation of supporters. I still went to Selhurst, but knew of many who would not go to one match until the club returned to the Valley. I for one would not return for some time if the board relieved Powell of his duties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What astounds me is the fact that the board don't see it as good business to sign him up on a long term deal. They must have a reason but I can't see it.

I'm sure they do. But until the player contracts are sorted he isn't going to sign anything
  • Options
    But then we have no idea about what is going on behind the scenes in terms of contract negotiations for the players and Powell...

It's ironic that the one key player who did sign a new contract has been injured ever since...
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

What astounds me is the fact that the board don't see it as good business to sign him up on a long term deal. They must have a reason but I can't see it.

I'm sure they do. But until the player contracts are sorted he isn't going to sign anything
    But the players might be thinking along the same lines and reluctant to commit to a club, not knowing who'll be in charge next season.............
  • Options

Rob62 said:

But the players might be thinking along the same lines and reluctant to commit to a club, not knowing who'll be in charge next season.............
    I doubt there are too many players plying their trade at The Valley at the moment that wouldn't sign a reasonable contract if it was put in front of them. Things are very different for the vast majority of players these days what with FFP and the security of another year or more of wages would in my opinion trump any consideration of who might end up in charge. I would think there are perhaps one or two exceptions to that but not many.

• Options

But then we have no idea about what is going on behind the scenes in terms of contract negotiations for the players and Powell...

It's ironic that the one key player who did sign a new contract has been injured ever since...

Jackson and Morrison both said at Eltham that they've heard aboslutely nothing about a new contract. Two of our key players and captain and vice-captain at that.
  • Options

Jackson and Morrison both said at Eltham that they've heard aboslutely nothing about a new contract. Two of our key players and captain and vice-captain at that.
    Now those are two that probably fit my exception above. I doubt either would find in too difficult getting a contract elsewhere. Very strange.

• Options
    when the takeover is completed we'll be awash with money and looking at better quality players ;-)
  • Options

when the takeover is completed we'll be awash with money and looking at better quality players ;-)

You jest but unfortunately I fear that is the only business plan.
  • Options

so, there is a plan then

• Options

so, there is a plan then

Perhaps but a high risk one reliant on a saviour appearing from the arctic wastes of Sweden, Russia or elsewhere.