Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Standing up for what you believe and Hoping for Powell

13»

Comments

• Options
    Lovely article.

Charlton will make me happy some days and some seasons and miserable other days and other seasons. Judging managers and players on a couple of good games or a couple of bad ones is short-sightedness.
  • Options
    Chris has earned our whole-hearted support for what he has done for our club over the past two seasons. There is nobody available out there who is more committed to making us successful or more likely to do it. In football we often see that, without a billionaire to sustain a club, short term managerial appointments do not bring long term success. Chris Powell has proved himself able to lead us at this level and it is senseless even to consider dismissing him at this point, given, as others have already pointed out, the injuries we have had, the lack of funds he has had to strengthen the team and our position in the league. I'll be behind the team and Powelly tonight - as always. COYR!!
  • Options
    Superb post. I am proud to be a Charlton fan and I know that tonight we are the underdog and we could well lose. BUT just on the off chance that we do win then that will make me so much more happier than being a Man u or a Chelsea etc.

That is what we are about as a club and always has been.

COYR's
  • Options
    I was angry after the Millwall match as were many of us. 11 wins in 67 matches against that lot hurts, and the manner of our performance really wrangled with me. Most of my anger was directed at the players, as I believe some of them just not good enough (Wilson, Stephens and I include Jackson in this, despite his goalscoring exploits over the past 2 seasons). Basically I am 100% behind Powell. Here is a man that was close to tears when we won promotion against Carlisle. He bleeds the red and white of CAFC, and any right minded person knows he hasn't been backed by our current owners. Of course I still think he does things wrong like stick Pritchard out on the right, never dropping Morrison when he makes a mistake etc. However, what we must all realise is that our owners will not put their money where their mouths are and invest in new players, so the squad we have is what we are stuck with for the rest of the season (bar maybe a couple of loans). Even though I think some of players are poor, we MUST get behind them because there is no alternative. We MUST try and make the Valley a place where they feel confident they can play football (however hard it may to resist getting on their backs). We saw how bad the atmosphere got toward the end of Pardew and Parkinson's reigns of shambles, but the difference is that our Manager this time is one of us, and cares immensely for this club. If we get dragged down into a relegation threatened season, then let us go down kicking and screaming as one
  • Options
    best thing written on here for a long time.
  • Options
    Excuse the cliche but "I haven't read the thread"

Has anyone stood up for what they believe in reply - which might not be what you believe ?

PS - not in work today as had a load of stuff to do (flat now up for sale in Walton on Thames if anyone's keen ?) - just jumped on a train and hope to be there by KO.
  • Options
    Well reasoned and well written piece that echoes my sentiments exactly.
  • Options

It doesn't seem to be just only me though as dwindling attendances are showing and these aren't necessarily caused by our current league position but by our mostly awful home performances for the past 14 months, this is also where Chris Powell needs to improve... the entertainment factor at least.

Now that's entertainment!
  • Options
    Any sign of Slater or TJ last night?
  • Options
    Slater was there. No TJ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of the former directors there last night - rallying round?
  • Options
    Great night and rally from all! Stood up and were counted all around the ground.
  • Options

New syndicate to buy back the club? Wishful thinking......
  • Options

It would be good to think that we are learning to pull together, so that's a really hopeful sign.

• Options
    Has anyone seen the interview with Powell after the match? He admits to being chocked by that performance and you can clearly hear it in his voice. The club (and its fans) mean so much to the man. Legend. End of.
  • Options
    A rational and sensible piece. Well done Afka.

I supported Parky whilst the manager even though I was critical at times. I also didn't have a problem with his sacking, I felt he was nice guy in the right place at the wrong time. Additionally I wasn't convinced Chris Powell was the right choice due to his lack of experience, but I gave him a chance as I would any new manager and he proved my concerns unfounded.

He instilled the solid we will battle again attitude back in to the club we had previously under Curbs.

I firmly believe he has earned the right to stick with the task of managing us through what seem turbulent times. I don't think all this you have got a couple of games to get wins or out attitude is helpful and can be counter productive. It is unfortunate that we have a string of games against the top teams when we have key players out. We are not a quarter way in to the season yet and even with our bad form not cast aside in last place.

You have to take in to account all factors the injuries to key players and the lack of investment etc. You know the squad is weaker when you have to rely on youth at this early stage of the season.

Many a manager has got the boot because of a bad defeat at home with the crowd baying for blood in frustration, it aids a board of nervous directors to pull the trigger. The heavy defeat to Sheff Utd and the crowds reaction culminated in Pardew's sacking. Whether he would have turned it round or not we will never know but we do know that we went down without a whimper under Parky. You can be just as unlucky changing a manager as changing one.

If a manger proves a success over a couple of seasons he doesn't become a bad manager over night. Demise of a manger who has proven good is usually because he has lost the dressing room. I don't see any thing to suggest this even with the Millwall defeat.
  • Options
    I am not going to divulge details but I wanted to let everyone know that SCP replied to my letter, received today and very clearly personally written.

While I always knew he was the man for us and with our club at heart all I will say is that viewpoint is reinforced after receiving my letter.

What a man. What a legend. Love him... and we all should. We will miss him when he's gone. Hopefully many many years from now!
  • Options
    That's blinding mate.
  • Options

I am not going to divulge details but I wanted to let everyone know that SCP replied to my letter, received today and very clearly personally written.

While I always knew he was the man for us and with our club at heart all I will say is that viewpoint is reinforced after receiving my letter.

What a man. What a legend. Love him... and we all should. We will miss him when he's gone. Hopefully many many years from now!

No surprise there. In Powell we trust.