Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Standing up for what you believe and Hoping for Powell

Comments

• Options
    spot on AFKA
  • Options
    Agree with this. Am missing several other things to be there tomorrow. Heart overcomes head.
  • Options
    Good article AKFA, some really have not supported him since he has been here, others will support when doing well, and call for his head when not. Some are better managers, although never done the job above local level, and some are just..... well I'll say no more!!
    However I heard a very good interview today with the guy that used to write Sir Alex's programme notes, it was based on the fact that some ManU fans want Moyes gone because they are so far down the league. This guy reminded them that Alex took over a club that in the previous years had never been out of the top 4 of the top league under Aitkinson, he (Alex) then managed in his first season to have the very same successful squad sitting in 18th position (lower than now) after 7 games. People (fans) were calling for Alex's head....the board stuck by him, and it took him 3 years, yes 3 years to begin to make it into what it eventually became!! Now there's a board who stuck by a manager and look what happened!!!
    Now I know we have a board with no money and little appetite for CAFC as fans, BUT they need to 'girth their loins' and stand by a man who is doing his best under very trying conditions, you never know he may, just may, turn out to be our Alex!!

Finally those calling for his head, who is going to replace him and come into a club with no money? Paul Hart keeps being mentioned, as he is already here, and whilst I admire what he has done with the academy, and what a job he has done, his senior level management has been poor overall, so will he be our saviour and if not, how long do we give him before getting rid and moving on to a.n.other? Lets give our current manager the chance to turn it around, this time last year people wanted him gone, we ended up 9th a remarkable result given the squad, which incidentally has been weakened, in my opinion during the close season. I hope that our board are not so blinkered and realise that in many ways they have contributed to this poor start, so lets get behind the manager and the squad, from wherever we support them, near or far.
  • Options
    Loving the spirit of the post AFKA. Wish I could be there in person tomorrow, sadly I can't but I will be supporting in spirit, glued to the match thread, sending positive thoughts to Chris and the lads.
    Those of you going, sing your hearts out.

• Options
    100% agree with everything written AFKA. Couldn't have put it better myself. Shorter maybe ;-)
  • Options
    A terrific piece - especially identifying the 'instant' reaction phenomenon that has happened over the last 15 years with the technological revolution. It has rendered people bi-polar in their reactions. A defeat is a tragedy that is a prelude to the total collapse of CAFC and civilization as we know it; a victory is proof that we will be vying for promotion to the insane world of the Premiership. Sometimes I feel like giving up on this list with all the hysterical rumours and counter-rumours and accusations and squabbles, and then I read something sane like this article and it restores my faith that I'm not alone.
  • Options
    Wonderful piece AFKA.
    Despite the writings of some people on the internet I feel sure that the vast majority of Charlton lifers, and like as not the vast majority of Charlton supporters back Powell.
    I refuse (yeah, ostrich like) to be contaminated by the irrational suggestion that there is anybody better out there, and indeed feel proud that WE have CHRIS POWELL at OUR club, immensely proud.
  • Options
    I Will be making my first visit of the season cos SCP needs us more than ever.
  • Options
    Great post AFKA. Time to get behind the team we love (again).
  • Options
    Agree 100%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AUN equals glory boy X
    8)
  • Options

AUN equals glory boy X
    8)

Didn't feel much glory Saturday mate ;o)
  • Options
    Well put , summed up a lot of my thoughts , i'll be there with a paper bag over me head , just for you Fan :-0
  • Options
    Really wish that was Slater's notes in tomorrow nights programme, but well done AFKA for a brilliant piece COYR
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Had a go at Slater's notes for him...

Well it has been a really topsy turvy last few days. Firstly the derby match and a fantastic exhilarating win against United followed by a good run continued in the cup. What a mash up though against Villa and I can assure you that I and Manuel have spoken at length about where we go from here on.

There has been some speculation about matters concerning our home stadium. Let me assure you that we are staying at the Ethiad and in fact plans are currently in place to extend our capacity. I mean why would a team from Manchester in the North West of England want to relocate to the Greenwich Penninsula, I mean it's at least 250 miles away. I really do despair at some of these rumours on fan message boards.

• Options
    Just as there aren't any credible alternatives to replace CP out there, there aren't really many credible supporters calling for him to go. At the end of the day I think we all know who the main culprit is in this sense & he has obviously his own vehicle to communicate his views along with a tiny handful of followers.

On this website I struggle to name any sensible/respected Charlton Lifers who are clamouring for CP to be fired.

Good article though, cant see how anyone with a sense of reality can argue against any of it.
  • Options
    When I grow up I want to be Afka.

Great post as always. You should be a barrister.
  • Options
    Great piece AFKA. If all the squad put in half the effort that you do in supporting CAFC, then we should be in for a good night.
  • Options

Great piece AFKA. If all the squad put in half the effort that you do in supporting CAFC, then we should be in for a good night.

He only turns up when his mrs lets him!

• Options
    With Powell and CAFC all the way! Great reading that post, all 1300 words!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He only turns up when his mrs lets him!

Likewise and mine doesn't even like football let alone support Charlton.

Nice thoughtful piece AFKA.

The club always comes before the manager for me and therein lies the problem. If you had a crystal ball and could stay up with CP then of course it's a no-brainer, however if you could only guarantee survival with a new manager I wonder how many fans (not just the posters on here) would accept that?
    And as you infer, it's a gamble and could lead to further misery.

I couldn't really suggest any creditable alternatives to CP and also don't want him to be sacked - I still think he has a good chance of turning it round as it's my belief our players are (a bit) better than they are currently playing.

I'll be there tonight, cheering the team on through good passages of play, at corners or when Dale, if playing, gets stuck in (he does sometimes), occasionally getting annoyed when I see a lack of commitment (the non-defending when Millwall look a short corner was atrocious) but can't really say I look forward going to The Valley at the moment.

It doesn't seem to be just only me though as dwindling attendances are showing and these aren't necessarily caused by our current league position but by our mostly awful home performances for the past 14 months, this is also where Chris Powell needs to improve... the entertainment factor at least.

Come On You Reds!
  • Options

Well put , summed up a lot of my thoughts , i'll be there with a paper bag over me head , just for you Fan :-0

As long as you use one from Asda's , I SHOULD be able to pick you out, MIA

• Options
    Well said, AFKA!

I'll be there with two other CAFC, two Villa, one Dundee Utd, one Telford and three non-football fans, including my nephew attending his first ever match at age of 22. (Couldn't make Wigan)

All will be under strict instructions to shout heads off for CAFC and SCP.
  • Options
    Fantastic post. Couldn't agree more. Will be there as always, supporting as always!!
  • Options

You have touched on a key point here and changing a loyal committed manager will only make matters worse

Something has not been right, not just in the last couple of games, but all season. I wrote just two games into the season of potential staleness and discontent on display. This has not appeared a happy camp since the end of last season, that is clear. Those with connections to ‘people in the game’ endorse the belief that there is a lot of unhappiness across the board behind the scenes at our club. We can all argue until we are blue in the face whose fault that may be, but ultimately it will do little good.

• Options
    Great post as always, fully behind Powelly and the boys. A lesser man may have walked already.
  • Options

You have touched on a key point here and changing a loyal committed manager will only make matters worse

Something has not been right, not just in the last couple of games, but all season. I wrote just two games into the season of potential staleness and discontent on display. This has not appeared a happy camp since the end of last season, that is clear. Those with connections to ‘people in the game’ endorse the belief that there is a lot of unhappiness across the board behind the scenes at our club. We can all argue until we are blue in the face whose fault that may be, but ultimately it will do little good.

That's exactly what I think Grumpy. If those ITK ever report that the feedback is that the players want our Chrissy sacked ( and we know who we can trust on this one), then I'm sticking with Chrissy. All the feedback is that it's their long term futures that is troubling ( I assume that they are being paid on time). Whilst I resent some of them them forgetting that its the supporters that pay their wages, changing managers isn't going to achieve the results we all want. I also think that it is more likely to make matters worse than they already are.
  • Options

I did something I have never done or felt compelled to do before earlier today. I wrote SCP a letter telling him that all of my family, going to the Valley since the 1930s, had complete trust in him to lead our club through good times and bad, and that whatever happens over the next couple of matches and even if some fans get on his back, the vast majority support him, and my family supports him on a personal level through thick and thin. I let him know it was the opinion of and support from all of my family members with ages ranging from 11 to 93.

A small insignificant gesture but I'm hoping if he gets a few other letters through the post like mine over the coming days it may play some small part in helping him keep the faith if things don't go our way.

First letter I have written on actual paper and sent through the actual mail for years... maybe this century.

(so based on the above you can probably tell I think it's a great article AFKA!)

An excellent, well-reasoned original post, and this, LeaburnForEngland, is a most excellent and touching gesture. I suddenly feel a lot more hopeful and inspired about attending tonight. COME ON YOU REDS!

• Options
    I think you were on a winner showing your support for CP in a 1300 word post, because the naysayers will be precisely those people lacking the patience to read it all ;-)

Well done!
  • Options
    It's a funny old game.

3 months ago many fans were worrying that Pearson would get sacked & Powell would be poached by Leicester !