Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Non League latest....

Comments

• Options
    Halifax top of the pile with two wins out of two.

"Come on you Shaymen"
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Is Welling always that bad??
    They've just taken 4 points off 2 sides who came down from the Conference. It's a pretty solid start given their manager left in pre season.
    I am not really sure that you can compare the Maidstone team from last season with this seasons team. It’s almost a completely new squad, and as such, taking points off of them at the moment isn’t really unexpected.
  • Options
    El Classico tonight.

Erith Town v Erith & Belvedere :smile:
  • Options
    El Classico tonight.

Erith Town v Erith & Belvedere :smile:
    El Classico made me chuckle.
    Honours even 1-1 attendance 153
    Did you go?
  • Options
    I own Erith Town for my sins. 2nd game in a row we’ve had a goalie having a worldy....
  • Options
    I own Erith Town for my sins. 2nd game in a row we’ve had a goalie having a worldy....
    Well done mate. Watched a few games back when you played at Cray Valley. Pleased you are back at your ground
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I am sure Ming will prove to be valuable.
    He will show no mercy to the opposition.

• Options
    Well done mate. Watched a few games back when you played at Cray Valley. Pleased you are back at your ground
    Cheers, am currently working on getting our own ground so we can give a football facility to the area.
  • Options
    Wings 3-1 up
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Wings 3-1 up
    Saw a kid in our hotel in Menorca in a Welling kit today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019

Went to Hendon v Wimborne yesterday (1-1).

Had a chat with Matt Holmes after the game (he's Wimborne manager these days). Such a nice bloke and said he loved his time at Charlton. He still gets a Christmas card from the club every year too! Unsurprisingly given the manager, the Wimborne players were a credit; their conduct around our club was exemplary and they cleaned their own dressing room after the game too.

• Options
    Anyone know why Dartford are doing so badly this season? No money, bad signings or managers not up to it? 3 heavy losses from 5 plus they gifted Leatherhead 3 goals in their last friendly. 
  • Options
    Bromley are going well in the Conference. Another win after long trip to Hartlepool yesterday.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    RedPanda said:
    Anyone know why Dartford are doing so badly this season? No money, bad signings or managers not up to it? 3 heavy losses from 5 plus they gifted Leatherhead 3 goals in their last friendly. 
    By all accounts they built a decent squad - better than last season. They picked up a couple of injuries, and the fixture list has been tough.
    But the malaise seems to be the joint managers. They finished last season on a terrible run, and have continued it into this season. The impression is they were appointed through their connexions with the club rather than any logical process ( a lot like Duchatalet and Fraeye) as thier previous clubs (Welling and Concord) did poorly under them and both improved when they left. Seriously, it looks like an old boy network, which is horribly unhealthy in sport. They kept their jobs despite the poor season last time out, so they look to be set for a while. How long they are given is anyones guess  but my view was they were an error to begin with, and no one wants to take the blame and appoint a new manager purely on football merits.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Wings 3-1 up
    Poor first half, but second half improved, especially after Daddy's son was replaced. Coombes got more of the ball and in this league his finishing is better than anyone else you will find.
    One of those games where you get the rub of the green, although all things considered, Welling deserved their win.
    Their first came off of a midfielders arse, the second a fortunate penalty, but the third (Coombes) an absolute cracker.
    Genuinly think Mark Goldburg needs to let his assistant manage and take a back seat. I just don't get how a person who earns a great deal of wealth from having IT recruitment business suddenly considers himself a manager? Nice enough bloke, but genuinely don't see a team of footballers raise their game for him.
    His son should be used as an impact substitute rather than a first team starter, that was apparent as the team looked stronger following his substitution.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Wings 3-1 up
    Poor first half, but second half improved, especially after Daddy's son was replaced. Coombes got more of the ball and in this league his finishing is better than anyone else you will find.
    One of those games where you get the rub of the green, although all things considered, Welling deserved their win.
    Their first came off of a midfielders arse, the second a fortunate penalty, but the third (Coombes) an absolute cracker.
    Genuinly think Mark Goldburg needs to let his assistant manage and take a back seat. I just don't get how a person who earns a great deal of wealth from having IT recruitment business suddenly considers himself a manager? Nice enough bloke, but genuinely don't see a team of footballers raise their game for him.
    His son should be used as an impact substitute rather than a first team starter, that was apparent as the team looked stronger following his substitution.
    If I'm not mistaken he was manager at Bromley and seemed to do okay.

Granted, it's a strange career move.
  • Options
    He did, but had more money then than it appears he does now.

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Went to Hendon v Wimborne yesterday (1-1).

Had a chat with Matt Holmes after the game (he's Wimborne manager these days). Such a nice bloke and said he loved his time at Charlton. He still gets a Christmas card from the club every year too! Unsurprisingly given the manager, the Wimborne players were a credit; their conduct around our club was exemplary and they cleaned their own dressing room after the game too.

Met Matty Homes at the training ground years ago when he was recovering from that tackle (was it muscat), as you say Simmo he was a real gent and played table tennis with my two kids....

Went to Hartley Wintney v Harrow 1-1, all Hartley for the first 20 mins till the centre half was sent off for a deliberate foul when the guy was away on goal. After that it was a bit of a rear guard until the end, though Hartley still had chances.

Any idea when the Hendon V Hartley game is.
  • Options
    Boreham wood chaiman concerned about attendances.
    After Saturday’s disappointing 1-0 home defeat against Sutton United, played out in front of a paltry crowd of just 407 that included 130 away fans, our club shop and away travel club manager Grant Morris, caught up with the Boreham Wood Football Club Chairman Danny Hunter for his observations on both the game and on the sparse crowd.

A quote from the chairman
    For me today was a real low point and I admit I do feel really low. But wouldn’t you, If you took out the 100 odd adult season ticket holders who actually bothered to attend yesterday, if you took out the players and boardroom guests and took out the media and away fans, we had just 46 home Adult and OAP fans turn up and pay on the day for a local National League fixture.
    https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/lack-of-support-a-concern/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    After Saturday’s disappointing 1-0 home defeat against Sutton United, played out in front of a paltry crowd of just 407 that included 130 away fans, our club shop and away travel club manager Grant Morris, caught up with the Boreham Wood Football Club Chairman Danny Hunter for his observations on both the game and on the sparse crowd.

For me today was a real low point and I admit I do feel really low. But wouldn’t you, If you took out the 100 odd adult season ticket holders who actually bothered to attend yesterday, if you took out the players and boardroom guests and took out the media and away fans, we had just 46 home Adult and OAP fans turn up and pay on the day for a local National League fixture.
    https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/lack-of-support-a-concern/
    May have something to do with ticket prices.

Not sure what standard price is in that league, but just checked tickets for their next home game is £19.

Thats only £5 less than our tickets tomorrow night
  • Options
    clive said:

May have something to do with ticket prices.

Not sure what standard price is in that league, but just checked tickets for their next home game is £19.

Thats only £5 less than our tickets tomorrow night
    They were charging £99 for a season ticket.
  • Options
    They've never had a great following, when they made the National League playoffs a couple of seasons back they were asked how many tickets they would need to be reserved for them at Wembley. Fourteen was the reply, fourteen thousand? No Fourteen.
  • Options
    Said this on twitter but the problem at the moment is that clubs are almost in a chicken v egg scenario

They can reduce prices but if attendances dont go up they'll be even more out of pocket - they can leave tickets as they are and risk attendances going down

When fans can pay less than £100 for SKY Sports and BT Sport getting well over 100 games per season its nearly always going to be the latter that owners will do these days because more and more people are opting to stay at home
  • Options
    Boreham Wood have the biggest educational academy in the UK. Danny is the sharpest cookie I've met in non league football. 
  • Options
    clive said:

It’s probably the most unwelcoming non league ground I’ve been to. Segregation with no bar or decent facilities for away fans, miserable stewards and staff and a soulless ground.
  • Options
    see that Billy Bingham scored for Bromley on Saturday .. at 88 years old, that's not bad going for the ex Everton & Sunderland winger
  • Options

"Come on you Shaymen"

"Come on you Shaymen"

good article about Halifax in today's 'Times'
  • Options
    That was one to forget over PVR tonight