Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Wanted to take the kids to “Ballamory” when they were little, too late now…

We were pretty underwhelmed. The ride from the Craignure Ferry is a really tough 21 miles with 3/4 twisting climbs on single track roads.

There is very little there and what there is is basically tourist crap.
  • Options
    So, this weekend I’m up to Blackburn to then join the Barnoldswick Clarion to take part in Clarion Sunday.
    I’m so excited. Boots!
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Rylo said:
    Sure it’s been covered already, but is there a turbo trainer in particular that people would recommend? Many thanks 

Depends if you want a wheel on/off and whether you want a smart trainer or not. Personally think wheel off, smart is the way to go and if that is your route look no further than the Wahoo Kickr.
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    I have the Tacx Neo 2 and it is amazing. Not too dissimilar from the Kickr though. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    So, this weekend I’m up to Blackburn to then join the Barnoldswick Clarion to take part in Clarion Sunday.
    I’m so excited. Boots!
    Coming up to my neck of the woods Iain, do you know what route you are going on. I’ve really enjoyed my riding since I moved up here. I’m sure you will have a great time
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I’m so excited. Boots!
    Coming up to my neck of the woods Iain, do you know what route you are going on. I’ve really enjoyed my riding since I moved up here. I’m sure you will have a great time
    I’m staying with a Clarion member near Blackburn. Then we’re going to the Clarion House and after a circular ride. With some hills. I’ll get there names and let you know.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I’m so excited. Boots!
    I’m staying with a Clarion member near Blackburn. Then we’re going to the Clarion House and after a circular ride. With some hills. I’ll get there names and let you know.
    Our routes.

Plan is to ride from my home to Clarion House in order to meet Barnoldswick Clarion by 9.30, then to do a circular ride from Clarion House over Pendle Hill via Pop Hill’s bench.(famous Clarion cyclist and inventor of the Trivelox derailleur). No problem with food or pub stop. Will get you back to Blackburn station on time, it’s worth checking if the train from Blackburn starting out from Colne as it’s first stop would be Nelson which is obviously much closer to Clarion House. The ride from my house is a very pleasant 17 miles there are just 4 short hills but two of them are steep, I have to walk up them, that said I am on 49 inch fixed. It will take about 2 hours. The circuit with Barnoldswick Clarion is 24 miles, lumpy with one quite long climb, it’s not too steep and has plenty of recovery sections, but definitely a ride for gears as it’s a road man’s climb.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I’m so excited. Boots!
    Our routes.

Plan is to ride from my home to Clarion House in order to meet Barnoldswick Clarion by 9.30, then to do a circular ride from Clarion House over Pendle Hill via Pop Hill’s bench.(famous Clarion cyclist and inventor of the Trivelox derailleur). No problem with food or pub stop. Will get you back to Blackburn station on time, it’s worth checking if the train from Blackburn starting out from Colne as it’s first stop would be Nelson which is obviously much closer to Clarion House. The ride from my house is a very pleasant 17 miles there are just 4 short hills but two of them are steep, I have to walk up them, that said I am on 49 inch fixed. It will take about 2 hours. The circuit with Barnoldswick Clarion is 24 miles, lumpy with one quite long climb, it’s not too steep and has plenty of recovery sections, but definitely a ride for gears as it’s a road man’s climb.
    Have a good one! Sounds absolutely amazing! 
  • Options
    Sounds great @iainment hope you enjoy it and the weather holds out. It does very occasionally rain a bit round here
  • Options
    Sounds great @iainment hope you enjoy it and the weather holds out. It does very occasionally rain a bit round here
    As someone said there’s no such thing as bad weather if you wear the right clothes.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    As someone said there’s no such thing as bad weather if you wear the right clothes.
    If you can see the peak of the hill it’s about to rain, if you can’t see it it’s raining
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    If you can see the peak of the hill it’s about to rain, if you can’t see it it’s raining
    Or foggy.
  • Options
    On trainers,

Having a clear out and came across one of these, think it's a different make and colour (black from memory)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/feedback-sports-omnium-portable-bike-roller-trainer/rp-prod197492?gs=1&sku=sku794078

It's as new, not had much use.......
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    iainment said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
    What's your budget? 7 gear doesn't seem enough, nit that I'm am expert
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

£850, and in my opinion, very good value for money. 

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
    What's your budget? 7 gear doesn't seem enough, nit that I'm am expert
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

£850, and in my opinion, very good value for money. 

That’s great, thank you. I’d be able to push to £1,500 for something that was going to last me, but because it’s only going to be a bike with a flat bar I’m not sure if it’s worth going too mad with something that might not necessarily be a proper road bike. 

It needs work on a couple of levels really, as my wife will also be getting something similar for days out (although not as many gears as we’d probably be going along flatter routes with the kids). 
    Ah nice.

the Decathlon "Riverside" range of bikes are quite nice for days out where you are not going on actual roads etc. The flat bar Triban will do you well. You are right though, I wouldn't recommend £1,500 on a flat bar!
    Many great touring bikes with flat bars are well over £1500 and worth it.
    Just put down my deposit on a flat bar tourer from Oxford Bike Works. Well, well over £1500. But it is bespoke with Rohloff gears and quite a few extras. Will take up to 16 weeks to be built.

I’m very excited.
  • Options
    Yesterday first bib tights day - because I was at football and thought it’d be nippy. Today first long finger gloves. 

Autumn is a cummin in.
  • Options
    Yesterday went on a club social ride from Bermondsey to Haywards Heath to visit a club members brewery.
    I’ve never been wetter. The storm was an absolute belter with what felt like hurricane winds and perpendicular rain. It was fantastic.
    At the brewery tap house, the Hop Sun, we were treated to tastings of beers in testing and established beers. All excellent and all vegan!
    Look out for Heathen beers. You won’t be disappointed.
  • Options
    New bike shop opening at the Standard. 
    Vaidas bicycles. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    I know Vaidas well...he accompanies our tours each year, driving the van, servicing the bikes and then going out and riding the moutains whilst we all eat...he used to be Lithuanian national champion (or something like that...I may be over stating it!). Anyway, he's a good guy and I wish him luck (he already has a shop in Honor Oak...)
  • Options
    edited October 2021

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    “Please send us some pictures of you on your bike and £200 for us to take down the pub register you”
  • Options
    Anyone know how busy the cycle parking gets at the valley on a match day? 

Planning on cycling tomorrow but doesn’t look like there’s many stands there 
  • Options

I always lock up by the Marks and Spencer’s or Sainsbury’s. Always spaces and you can get a coffee in the Costa’s there.
  • Options

I’ve not used them for a couple of years now but in my experience they were always fine when you got there but a bit of a chore upon leaving as the other cyclists are there at the same time and the space is restricted by the open gates as all the supporters stream past.
    wasn’t great pushing through the crowd either so might be better offf trying what crazy Iain says above….
  • Options
    Anyone got a power meter on their bikes?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    No. 🙂
  • Options
    iainment said:

I always lock up by the Marks and Spencer’s or Sainsbury’s. Always spaces and you can get a coffee in the Costa’s there.
    Cheers that’s what I’ve done. It’s a joy cycling along the lower road compared to the alternatives
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Yep. Why do you want to know? 😁
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Yep. Why do you want to know? 😁

Just got out of 5 months of lockdown having used Zwift and liked seeing my Watts/Cadence stats so wondered best (and least expensive) way to replicate now that I’m back on the road. 

Don’t need perfectly precise stats, just some sort of live indication whilst I’m out and about. 
  • Options
    Assioma or Garmin Vector/Rally are your best bet. Easier to fit and transfer between bikes than a crank, and reliable power numbers. Gold standard is still an SRM crank but they're about 1500 quid so out of reach of most.

Got three sets of vectors on the race bike, training bike and TT bike (bike shop tills start ringing when I walk in) and all of them have been reliable for me