Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Super easy.  Any good LBS should be able to do it there and then for you.  So for piece of mind you might want to buy from them unless the price differential is a lot more.  If you do it yourself make sure you tighten the bolts equally - as in a couple of turns on one side then a couple on the other until fully tightened.

Personally I don't use a torque wrench as my experience is unless it's a very good one, they have a very shit ability between the wrench and allen key fitting to wobble under pressure and strip the bolt head.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Super easy.  Any good LBS should be able to do it there and then for you.  So for piece of mind you might want to buy from them unless the price differential is a lot more.  If you do it yourself make sure you tighten the bolts equally - as in a couple of turns on one side then a couple on the other until fully tightened.

Personally I don't use a torque wrench as my experience is unless it's a very good one, they have a very shit ability between the wrench and allen key fitting to wobble under pressure and strip the bolt head.
    Considering this:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Stages-Cycling/G3-Power-L-Shimano-Ultegra-R8000-Power-Meter/HDXE

Stages G3, I know I have an Ultegra R8000 Chainset 172.5mm, so I am hoping it should be fairly easy to sort, and could probably do myself...
  • Options
    Bought the Stages G3, so hopefully I will be able to fit it, very excited!
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    I’m looking to get a new bike. Budget c.2-3k. From reading online I should be able to get decent disc brakes and Ultegra group set for this. Any recommendations? 

Quite like the look of Ribble Endurance SL and Specialized Roubaix. 

Have a look at the Dolan site. They have a pretty awesome looking Di2 equiped bike for £2700 at the moment. I absolutely love electronic shifting and would never go back to mechanical on my "proper" bike now. Dolan offer an excellent builder tool as well which allows you to size various compenents and add in upgraded wheels etc if you wish. Add £500 to your budget and you could get one of these with a Mavic full carbon wheelset and Di2. 

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rebus-carbon-road-bike-shimano-ultegra-r8050-di2/

Thanks, I’m also now looking at a Trek (Edmonda). Very difficult to choose as so much choice and lots of differing opinions in the reviews online.

My biggest challenge is that being based in Vietnam, I won’t be able to have a test ride which is a pain for something so expensive. 
  • Options
    I tried to use my iPhone as my bike computer but it kept turning off to sleep mode. How do you set it stay on, showing maps and data whilst riding.
    Thanks in anticipation.
  • Options
    Just back, we’ll a while ago, from a 100k club social ride. Bermondsey to Rochester and back.
    Enjoyed it but I’m nowhere near fit! Hills slaughtered me.
  • Options
    Big crash for me today. Hit and run on the hill heading down towards Ebbsfleet football ground. White Merc passed me way to close and clipped me. Thought I had held it but the camber on the road took me into the kerb and over the handle bars.

Stupidly the adrenaline kicked in and I decided to ride on once I had calmed down. Bad idea as my ribs are really bad. By the time I reached Chatham I was in agony. Lovely road rash on my elbow, hip, shin and ankle. Helmet has gone in the bin as well.as.that took an almighty whack.

All of that after two punctures as well! Should.have done what I was going to and just given up after the second one.

Is it wrong that I am more bothered by the scratches on my once beautiful carbon wheel rims 🤔

If anyone knows how to cover scratches then please let me know!
  • Options
    Big crash for me today. Hit and run on the hill heading down towards Ebbsfleet football ground. White Merc passed me way to close and clipped me. Thought I had held it but the camber on the road took me into the kerb and over the handle bars.

Stupidly the adrenaline kicked in and I decided to ride on once I had calmed down. Bad idea as my ribs are really bad. By the time I reached Chatham I was in agony. Lovely road rash on my elbow, hip, shin and ankle. Helmet has gone in the bin as well.as.that took an almighty whack.

All of that after two punctures as well! Should.have done what I was going to and just given up after the second one.

Is it wrong that I am more bothered by the scratches on my once beautiful carbon wheel rims 🤔

That's appalling 😢

Did you get the registration? Any witnesses? Report it - a hit and run is treated as a pretty serious crime.

Also - if you hit your head - go to A&E. Concussion is NOT to be fucked with 😳
  • Options
    There wasn't anyone around, although a bloke did stop as he saw me picking myself up and asked if I was ok.

Didn't get the reg. Have reported it, but not expecting anything to come of it.

The fucker definitely knew he had hit me as I am sure he slowed down and then pulled away when he saw me move to get up.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Just back, we’ll a while ago, from a 100k club social ride. Bermondsey to Rochester and back.
    Enjoyed it but I’m nowhere near fit! Hills slaughtered me.
    Hills are always the killer on a long ride. Well done! First road race in eighteen months for me tomorrow. Both dreading and looking forward to it - absolutely stacked field, and it's the dullest road circuit in the northwest... But at least its racing 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There wasn't anyone around, although a bloke did stop as he saw me picking myself up and asked if I was ok.

Didn't get the reg. Have reported it, but not expecting anything to come of it.

The fucker definitely knew he had hit me as I am sure he slowed down and then pulled away when he saw me move to get up.
    Arsehole. Definitely getting worse out there. 
  • Options

Hope you’re ok after that. Never pleasant to hit the tarmac especially if you’ve been put there by an idiot like this.
  • Options
    There is a real need for a light weight mounted sub-machine gun fitted to all bicycles. Hope you are all right @Clem_Snide.
  • Options
    That's terrible, hope you're not too badly hurt Clem. Hopefully the driver will get done but seems the only way that ever happens is by cyclists filming it. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    That's terrible, hope you're not too badly hurt Clem. Hopefully the driver will get done but seems the only way that ever happens is by cyclists filming it. 
    Even then, it rarely actually results in anything other than a 'chat' and a driver awareness course 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Even then, it rarely actually results in anything other than a 'chat' and a driver awareness course 
    I did see one of the police forces tweeting recently asking for more camera footage to keep being submitted as it has led to increased prosecutions. Whilst this is good it isn't actually doing anything about prevention.
  • Options
    The BBC have approached my club, London Clarion, to film one of their channel idents. So you might see me in a very tight club jersey gurning for the camera at some point!
    You lucky people!
  • Options
    Going on a cycling trip in Norfolk with mates next month. For the third day we are signing up to a cycle swarm event with choices of 35, 70 and 100 mile rides. I've never done more than 45 miles before. How much of a step up is it to do that extra 25? Will presumably be pretty flat.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Hoping to replace my handlebar tape at the weekend, anybody got any links to descent tutorials/video?
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Going on a cycling trip in Norfolk with mates next month. For the third day we are signing up to a cycle swarm event with choices of 35, 70 and 100 mile rides. I've never done more than 45 miles before. How much of a step up is it to do that extra 25? Will presumably be pretty flat.
    If you can comfortably do 45 I’d think you could do 70 quite handily. Try and get up to 55 before you go and you should then find it well within reach.
    Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    A lot of this depends on three things

1 - The weather. Specifically, the wind. Makes a big difference doing that last 20 miles with a tailwind if you've never done that distance before

2 - The bike. A big, heavy hybrid will be much harder to ride than a road bike. That gets much more of an issue after three or four hours in the saddle

3 - Your arse. If you're OK on 45 miles rides, you should generally be OK on a 100 miles - but if you start to chafe after a couple of hours, that's going to hurt six hours in

The last one (hills) doesn't count - cos its Norfolk 😊
  • Options
    Hoping to replace my handlebar tape at the weekend, anybody got any links to descent tutorials/video?
    GCN to the rescue... https://youtu.be/w8PqH7bltJQ
  • Options
    GCN to the rescue... https://youtu.be/w8PqH7bltJQ
    Is it hard to do right? I have visions of my efforts unwinding just as I’m on the limit going up a hill.
  • Options
    Nah, piece of piss. It's hard to do and make it look really neat - that comes with practice. But to do it and have it functional is easy. Electrical tape is your friend 😊
  • Options
    Nah, piece of piss. It's hard to do and make it look really neat - that comes with practice. But to do it and have it functional is easy. Electrical tape is your friend 😊
    Ok, coincidentally I’ve just ordered some Fat Tape for my touring bike as my current tape got cut when I embraced a bollard recently. I’ll give it a go.
  • Options
    Biggest issue you'll have is getting the wrap round the levers right. The rest is easy 
  • Options
    Thanks guys, much appreciated, I'll post pics of my, almost certainly below par, effort once I'm done
  • Options
    Quite happy with my first effort

Did you get white bar ends?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Quite happy with my first effort

Did you get white bar ends?
    No, came with black plastic ones. I'm tempted to get some red metal ones to match the hubs