Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hello from China!

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jessie, where did you learn to write such good English? Is English taught in Chinese schools?
  • Options
    i must say, her written English is exceptional
  • Options

Jessie, where did you learn to write such good English? Is English taught in Chinese schools?

Yes, they also have some pretty awesome teachers ;)

It's also compulsory at university, unless you are studying another language, afaik.

i must say, her written English is exceptional

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jessie but I find most of my students have have really good writing, mostly down to how they are taught English in their public schools.

PPTV is only showing the game on Saturday as we are on Sky, we are never normally on PPTV.
  • Options

@stu... i'm vegetarian... hahaha

@jessie... pptv have the charlton game? great! i use it to watch premier league games.. but i've never caught charlton on there.

to answer your question: there are only 150 americans and 51 brits registered as living in the whole of xinjiang... sooo... quite a small western ex pat community. more kazakhs, pakistanis and russians.

jessie ~ the match thread here is pretty good. if you are willing to pay you can listen to every game live and watch videos of each game afterwards plus press conferences etc on cafc player. it's not perfect and its not free.... but it helps me get a charlton fix while so far away

Yes I too watch Prem League games on that site.The commentators are usually a bit 'meh' but the streaming quality is quite good.

Have you been to other places in China?There're a lot more foreigners in the southern part of the country I think.

I was aware about CAFC Player but didn't check what exactly CAFC Player offers to the subscribers until last week.Not sure if it's worth the money but I've taken it into consideration.If I want more than live updates,news from here and the OS,I'll certainly give it a try.
  • Options

Like Stu said,English is taught in every school and university.It's one of the three most important subjects before you go to university.But my generation of people ie. who were born in the 80's didn't spend as much time on it as the kids do nowadays.Back then,no-one had extra trainning for English after class.We only got to learn the very basics including the grammar.But I myself developed an interest in English at an early age:my parents like foreign movies and used to watch movies in English with the Chinese subtitle almost every week.I was about ten then and that's when I became interested in the western culture.British music,American movies and TV series,football (mainly English football),snooker,musicals have been several of my major interests over the years.I read entertainment,sports and economy news/articles on English sites every day.

To be honest I studied in the best schools in my city and was always better at English than all the other students at school and in the university.I got the highest mark ever in the national CET-6 test in my university without even preparing for the test.I'm sure there're many students who are very good at English-writing these days because they carry a much heavier burden regarding English learning,and all the other subjects.Sometimes I dread to think what life is like now for all the poor kids.I'm probably not as good as those who majored in English in universities but after all they spent four intensive years on this language while I was busy studying...er...Finance.
  • Options
    Good to see you posting here Jessie.
  • Options
    Jessie your written English really is excellent, and as others here say, better than most of the rest of us who write here! I wonder if your speaking and listening comprehension is as good, do you get to practice much amongst English speakers? For the Chinese ear, English pronunciation can be a bit of a pain, but if you lived here for a couple of months you would quickly pick it up,and probably be able to get a decent job too given your skills. You are one of a small but elite band of Chinese Addicks (not the only one) and it is great that you post here.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    seth plum said:

Jessie your written English really is excellent, and as others here say, better than most of the rest of us who write here! I wonder if your speaking and listening comprehension is as good, do you get to practice much amongst English speakers? For the Chinese ear, English pronunciation can be a bit of a pain, but if you lived here for a couple of months you would quickly pick it up,and probably be able to get a decent job too given your skills. You are one of a small but elite band of Chinese Addicks (not the only one) and it is great that you post here.

My listening is quite good,no problem at all when communicating with native English speakers.I hear English on a daily basis and once in a while talk to the native speakers so I can usually understand every single word they say... unless they're Scousers,Scots or Geordies etc.As for the speaking,it's understandable that you might be worried because many of the students here have really poor pronunciation.But I paid special attention to this from day one so I'm confident to say that you won't hear anything remotely Chinglish when I speak.I'm actually prouder of my pronunciation than my writing and would rather talk to you lot in person right now than type in front of a comupter ;) The only tiny problem I have at the moment is that I definitely can't speak as fluently as you native spekers do,because I don't get the chance to speak in English every day.But like you say,it's not very hard to overcome.Just give me one or two days I think I'll be totally used to it :)

And thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome!I really appreciate it.