Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hello from China!

Comments

• Hi Jessie. Know what you mean about distances. My train journey from Beijing to Xian was about 25 hours. If you get to Beijing the Great Wall is well worth seeing,as is the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven...well all of it really. I like what you have said about winning the Lottery and buying Charlton, that's how most of us think.
    Years ago Charlton played China in a friendly match at the Valley and won 1-0 (Steve White).
  • 你是中国人吗?

是的!Wow,so you can type in Chinese!Good job!
    Oh and last time I met an Englishman here in Wuxi,I asked him if he liked football.To my BIG surprise he said he didn't! I was like 'Whaaat?I thought every Englishman loved football...' lol

I can kinda type in pinyin, I can't write any characters by hand really! I think learning to write is probably beyond me, so just stick to reading.

I always thought Wuxi had quite a few foreigners

There're more and more foreigners coming to Wuxi these days but I rarely come out and join them.I don't have any working relationships with local foreigners so if I want to meet some foreigners and make friends I think it will be a bit strange or awkward to just go over and start to talk?...

It's something a lot of Chinese people are happy to do, especially in Kunming, it's not something that has ever bothered me! I've met some cool Chinese friends who just came over to us and asked if they could speak with us.
    Well,perhaps I'm one of the shyer people in China.I'll have a try next time I see some expats on the bus or in the street!
    Do you have weixin? Would be great to speak to another Addick in China!
  • seth plum said:

Years ago Charlton played China in a friendly match at the Valley and won 1-0 (Steve White).

Wow really?I didn't know!When was that?
  • Do you have weixin? Would be great to speak to another Addick in China!

Yes.Same username.But I don't use it often.QQ or Skype maybe?

• seth plum said:

Wow really?I didn't know!When was that?
    years ago : )
  • The game against China must've been late 70's/early 80's . I think I have a programme from the game at home in the loft if you want to pop round and take a look
  • If my memory's not playing tricks Steve White joined us as part of the Paul Walsh deal so I'd guess at 1983.
  • From "Home & Away with Charlton Athletic 1920-2004".
  • edited September 2013

From "Home & Away with Charlton Athletic 1920-2004".

Great!1982,I wasn't even born then...And the 1997 match on the training ground...Didn't know that either...Thanks for sharing!

• I saw both of those matches, the Valley and the training ground game. Spoke to the football man from the Independent at the Sparrows lane match pretty sure there was a report in the paper the next day.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Programme for the Friendly against China at The Valley can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/9736646690

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • seth plum said:

I saw both of those matches, the Valley and the training ground game. Spoke to the football man from the Independent at the Sparrows lane match pretty sure there was a report in the paper the next day.

Li Jin Yu,one of the two scorers at the Sparrows Lane match,is probably the best Chinese striker of the last decade.Actually our Chinese players were quite good back in the 80's,90's or even the early 2000's.But I've totally lost faith in them now.

That's very nice of you but unfortunately I get 'connection refused' messages...?

That's very nice of you but unfortunately I get 'connection refused' messages...?

That'll be the Chinese government stopping people looking at our old programmes !
  • Strange...It works now...Thanks for sharing,'Leaburn'.What an immense collection it is!I'm in awe...
  • Cheers Leaburn , ruined it for me there
  • QQ: 2591622762
  • 你好jessie
    你的英文太好!
    你真的是英国人,对不对?

i'm an english guy who has been living in urumqi for 5 years...

am back to the uk for a short trip at the moment and will make my pilgrimage to the valley for next weekends game against millwall...

it's quite right to say that those living even slightly close to the valley should realise how lucky they are

will add you on wechat, jessie

• 你好jessie
    你的英文太好!
    你真的是英国人,对不对?

i'm an english guy who has been living in urumqi for 5 years...

am back to the uk for a short trip at the moment and will make my pilgrimage to the valley for next weekends game against millwall...

it's quite right to say that those living even slightly close to the valley should realise how lucky they are

will add you on wechat, jessie

Hello Siv!Urumqi?That's in Xinjiang Province!Wow...That's a bit surprising.How did you decide to go there?
  • work....

and an old curiosity about the part of the world that used to divide china and the USSR

Aanand it's not xinjiang province.... it's xinjiang uyghur autonomous region :) important distinction for those uyghurs
  • Sponsored links:

• You must get to eat some amazing Uyghur food. Very jealous.
  • So Jessie, how did you follow the Watford game? And can you somehow get the TV game against Millwall, maybe on the internet?
  • work....

and an old curiosity about the part of the world that used to divide china and the USSR

Aanand it's not xinjiang province.... it's xinjiang uyghur autonomous region :) important distinction for those uyghurs

Yeah,my bad.Having been living in Xinjiang for five years,you must know the history and everything about it much better than I do ;) Sometimes when I see photos of that area,it looks as exotic to me as any foreign country does.Do you have any fellow expats there?I suppose not many?
  • edited September 2013
    seth plum said:

So Jessie, how did you follow the Watford game? And can you somehow get the TV game against Millwall, maybe on the internet?

Shame I just followed Charlton's official Twitter account.Didn't find anywhere on the internet to watch the game or listen to the commentary.But good news is I discovered the other day that there's a Chinese website PPTV which offers live streaming of Championship games occasionally - I guess that's actually from Sky Sports.AND!!!!!!I just found out that the Millwall game will be available on that site!!!!!!!I suddenly notice there's a lack of emoticons on here!!!!!
  • Jessie may I refer the right honourable lady to something that is better than twitter for future reference:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/57087/match-thread-addicks-v-s-watford-14-9-13/p1
  • A simple welcome from me Jessie.
  • TO :- Whoever runs this site, please can we appoint Jessie as an Honourable Lifer ? Apart from anything else she speaks and writes better English than most of us, and she has added a very interesting thread to the Forum. TO :- Jessie, could we please have your scorecast for Saturday ?
  • edited September 2013
    seth plum said:

Jessie may I refer the right honourable lady to something that is better than twitter for future reference:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/57087/match-thread-addicks-v-s-watford-14-9-13/p1

Thank you very much for the link.It looks indeed much more comprehensive and informative.I'll be on here for live updates every matchday from now on.Like I said I should've joined here years ago!
  • Granpa said:

TO :- Whoever runs this site, please can we appoint Jessie as an Honourable Lifer ? Apart from anything else she speaks and writes better English than most of us, and she has added a very interesting thread to the Forum. TO :- Jessie, could we please have your scorecast for Saturday ?

Granpa thank you I'm so flattered!I'll try my best to post in the match thread during the game while most of you are actually at the Valley lol...
  • @stu... i'm vegetarian... hahaha

@jessie... pptv have the charlton game? great! i use it to watch premier league games.. but i've never caught charlton on there.

to answer your question: there are only 150 americans and 51 brits registered as living in the whole of xinjiang... sooo... quite a small western ex pat community. more kazakhs, pakistanis and russians.

jessie ~ the match thread here is pretty good. if you are willing to pay you can listen to every game live and watch videos of each game afterwards plus press conferences etc on cafc player. it's not perfect and its not free.... but it helps me get a charlton fix while so far away