Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club looking for matchday volunteers

Charlton are looking for volunteers to help with matchday preparations at The Valley.

In exchange for free entry into each game, the club needs supporters who are willing to lend a helping hand before and after every home match.

The project requires the help of around six supporters, who would need to be physically fit and active to undertake the particular voluntary role and be able to get to The Valley for around 1.15pm for Saturday games with a 3pm kick-off or by 6pm for midweek 7.45pm kick-offs.

Volunteers would also need to stay behind after the final whistle for approximately 10 minutes.

If you are interested, please email mick.everett@cafc.co.uk for further details.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130829-volunteers-1022074.aspx#Q4K42EE86Uu0jJUY.99

Comments

• Options
    Good way to see home games if you can't afford to buy regular tickets and you have some spare time on your hands.

And, of course, a good way to help our Club during these financially challenged times.
  • Options
    Blimey, surely this answers anyone's questions about whether we are broke or not!!
  • Options
    Are they hoping a centre mid comes forward ?
  • Options
    great idea by the club, bound to be people who can't afford to go who would be willing to do this - saves them money they probably don't have in return for having half a dozen of the 10,000 or so empty seats sat on!
  • Options
    so, 4.5 hrs work for a match ticket. you can look at that as saving yourself £20 or being paid about £4.50 an hour.

rearrange these words - creek, paddle, up, shit, without, a.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It is a brilliant thing to do. a little bit of voluntary work and a free ticket.
    But it is at the same time really concerning that are we really that skint that we can't even afford the wages for staff so we need volunteers instead?
    I am getting really worried now.
  • Options

so, 4.5 hrs work for a match ticket. you can look at that as saving yourself £20 or being paid about £4.50 an hour.

That may well be the case, Large but surely you can't slate Mick for thinking out of the box when his salaried resources have inevitably been cut ?

I remember you once telling me that you'd do anything to help someone at the time when Wendy P was campaigning for the SD post ...why is this any different ?

And this is to help YOUR Club to continue running efficiently & smoothly during a period of belt tightening.

• Options
    Good initiative
  • Options
    in the 'good old days' the apprentices did a lot of the dirty work .. are our youth players too delicate to take on these tasks ? .. OK they might have games on Saturdays but at the same time(s) as the 1st team ?
  • Options
    Good idea, you can also help CAS Trust tomorrow if you fancy - you get in return fan consultation on the future of the Valley, and a guaranteed free copy of TNT only 2000 in print
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Good idea, you can also help CAS Trust tomorrow if you fancy - you get in return fan consultation on the future of the Valley, and a guaranteed free copy of TNT only 2000 in print

And my company.

Good initiative from the club.
  • Options
    Not sure how that equates to £4.50 an hour!

Start at 1:15. 3 pm kickoff. So thats 1 hour 45 minutes. Then 10 minutes after the game.

So less than 2 hours work works out at more than £10 an hour to me.

Good idea I think.
  • Options
    Yes Craig will be wearing his crop top muscle shirt for any laydeees out there...
  • Options
    Not slating the idea at all, think it's a great idea. Just a little worrying that we need such an initiative for our matchdays to run....
  • Options

Start at 1:15. 3 pm kickoff. So thats 1 hour 45 minutes. Then 10 minutes after the game.

Good idea I think.

exactly...I couldn't be bothered to type that.
  • Options
    Its like whatever the club do now its cos we are skint. This initiative makes sense to me, even if we had millions.
  • Options

Its like whatever the club do now its cos we are skint. This initiative makes sense to me, even if we had millions.

I agree. I'm just stating the fact that the timing of this, and the fact that it is this season that this initiative is being launched surely further underlines the fact we are having just a few money issues...
  • Options

Agree.

But I still think we're skint : - )

• Options
    What do you actually have to do?
  • Options
    WSS said:

stewarding in the away end for millwall and leeds fixtures to start with
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That may well be the case, Large but surely you can't slate Mick for thinking out of the box when his salaried resources have inevitably been cut ?

I remember you once telling me that you'd do anything to help someone at the time when Wendy P was campaigning for the SD post ...why is this any different ?

And this is to help YOUR Club to continue running efficiently & smoothly during a period of belt tightening.

Fanny, I'm not saying that it isn't a good initiative. I can't see where I've slated Mick, and I'm not because he has a very difficult job to do with little or no resources. Fair play to anyone that takes it up. Maybe some fans with season-tickets will take it on so saving the Club further outlay. BUT if no-one does step up, unlikely I know, then how does that affect our ability to operate efficiently on a match day? It just shows how deep in the doo-doo we really are.

(Helping Wendy out re the SD post was something entirely different and I don't see that as a relevant analogy in this instance.)
  • Options

Fanny, I'm not saying that it isn't a good initiative. I can't see where I've slated Mick, and I'm not because he has a very difficult job to do with little or no resources. Fair play to anyone that takes it up. Maybe some fans with season-tickets will take it on so saving the Club further outlay. BUT if no-one does step up, unlikely I know, then how does that affect our ability to operate efficiently on a match day? It just shows how deep in the doo-doo we really are.

(Helping Wendy out re the SD post was something entirely different and I don't see that as a relevant analogy in this instance.)
    Doesnt say when the initiative starts. If its not till after the Leicester game and nobody offers, then theres plenty of time to get in some staff from agencys.
  • Options

WSS said:

stewarding in the away end for millwall and leeds fixtures to start with

I am in where do I sign
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    London 2012 asked for Games Helpers/Makers. Were they in the doo?
  • Options
    Please say Ricks applied!
  • Options

Good idea I think.

That's how I read it to.
  • Options

Good idea I think.

That's how I read it to.
    and me !! Was having a blond moment earlier !

• Options
    Just shows how broke the club is, getting volunteers to work unpaid, when this would have been done by a Charlton employ in the pas, ill soon be looking for amateur footballers for the team.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what its to do?
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Just shows how broke the club is, getting volunteers to work unpaid, when this would have been done by a Charlton employ in the pas, ill soon be looking for amateur footballers for the team.

Alternatively we have done some belt tightening, shrank a team of say 10 people to a team of 4 / 5 and therefore they do not have the time to do the number of smaller jobs that are required on a match-day.

I think it is a great idea.

Also, going back to the "payments" and saying it is £4.50 per hour for the job, if offering to a non-volunteer, they would probably not get a free ticket, but would require payment for the whole required time, so 4.5 hours at minimum wage plus probably a 10% / 20% agency fee on top. Good money saving, and I dont really know why we havnt done this before?