Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesborough 2013 Post-match news & Views

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Yann may have got his head to it first but a Boro player could have - it simply wasn't prudent to go for it beacause staying on your line was never going to result in a goal!!!
  • Options

A positive is that we indeed didn't play much worse than them - the negative is that they didn't play very well at all. The main positive is that it is clearly early days and some players were visibly not match fit , not good on one level, but we should improve!

Sorry but don't agree with this at all. I thought Borough looked a league (or even two) better than us in terms of quality but lacked bite up front. Lots of patient accurate passing along the ground, long periods of sustained possession, decent counter-attacks and hardly got put of second gear. If anything they looked slightly confused as if they came for defensive approach and to hit us on the counter and found themselves with 99% possession without trying.

After the first 20 mins I whispered to son of Grumpy that it looked like men v boys with the men taking it easy.

I agree Borough will probably not get to the play-offs on that showing but we played much much worse than them
  • Options
    I thought they were bad in different ways. They had better width than us but their midfiled lost possession a lot. Defensively they were sound enough, but was this due to to them or us and we limited them to one good chance - not including the mistake for their goal!
  • Options

A positive is that we indeed didn't play much worse than them - the negative is that they didn't play very well at all. The main positive is that it is clearly early days and some players were visibly not match fit , not good on one level, but we should improve!

Sorry but don't agree with this at all. I thought Borough looked a league (or even two) better than us in terms of quality but lacked bite up front. Lots of patient accurate passing along the ground, long periods of sustained possession, decent counter-attacks and hardly got put of second gear. If anything they looked slightly confused as if they came for defensive approach and to hit us on the counter and found themselves with 99% possession without trying.

After the first 20 mins I whispered to son of Grumpy that it looked like men v boys with the men taking it easy.

I agree Borough will probably not get to the play-offs on that showing but we played much much worse than them
    Agree. Boro were let down by their finishing, but their approach play was streets beyond us. Evidence of it in the very first minute: slicing through our central defence with a man to spare. Several quick moves of theirs, and others that were slower and patient, were excellent. The longer it stayed at 0-0, the more they turned the screw - and inevitably we cracked. Even if we had got a quick equaliser, Boro were easily good enough to swarm again and get the winner.

• Options
    One of the great things about football as that we can watch the same game and see it so differently. I have an inbuilt anxiety meter when I can feel a goal coming against us and it wasn't buzzing at all on Saturday.

I do agree Boro were better than us overall though. Just they didn't look liek scoring!
  • Options

Mutley - your posts are usually worth reading but you really must have been on something on Saturday if you honestly think we didn't play much worse than Boro. We were outpassed, outplayed and frankly outclassed by a team that was supposedly in crisis!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm not saying Boro didn't look the better side - just that they weren't up to much and didn't look like scoring. You may think they did but I can only recall one decent chance for them and a better chance for us - Can you illuminate me as to the other chances I missed? Just so I can piece together those missing moments of my life.
  • Options
    Not to sure if it has been said but i dont understand why fans started getting on the players back when we was keeping the ball and just knocking it along the back. As usual because of this the players resulted back into just lumping it forward. Need to keep the ball and knock it about, even if we have to play backwards sometimes. Just like we did midweek in the cup.
  • Options
    Easier to do against Oxford. Much better players in the championship that stop you.
  • Options
    Yes but when we was trying to do that, the crowd get on top of the players and we went back to the usual long ball up to Yann.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes but when we was trying to do that, the crowd get on top of the players and we went back to the usual long ball up to Yann.

I see your point, I just think using Oxford is the wrong example.

For me i thought boro were half decent and to be honest they reminded of Charlton athletic away from home last season.

Decent at the back and have players that will work hard and take advantage of mistakes and fans getting on backs.

We will improve. We have to as there will be teams stronger, faster and technically better coming to the valley in the coming months. We need to be competitive at home.
  • Options
    I have read negative posts for days and must now speak.

A win = confidence = great performances = happy CL boards.

Don't worry it will get better just need the first win these are broadly the same players we have had for 2 seasons they have not turned pony overnight.
  • Options
    I am confident we will be fine. Dont think you can judge until after 12 games really. Leicester last year couldn't get a win and they ended up in play offs.