Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull City......Tigers

Comments

• Options
    Boom said:

Allam's also bought North Ferriby United for his daughter. Soon to be North Ferriby United Villagers presumably. Or just The Village people maybe.

The North Ferriby Humber Bees .. I wondered where the money came from there .. aren't they doing well !
  • Options
    The representative of the City till I die campaign was claiming on the radio last night that Allam has admitted that his has done zero research into the idea or the business benefits of changing the name.

The name change is now being considered by the FA with Allam threatening to pull out if he is not allowed to change the name.

While I think the idea of changing the name is silly and pointless but what does it have to do with the FA?

If a Club wants to change it's name then why should the FA have a sanction?

Clapton/Leyton Orient
    Swansea Town/City

Unless it is offensive or illegal why should the FA have the power stop a club renaming themselves?
  • Options

The representative of the City till I die campaign was claiming on the radio last night that Allam has admitted that his has done zero research into the idea or the business benefits of changing the name.

The name change is now being considered by the FA with Allam threatening to pull out if he is not allowed to change the name.

While I think the idea of changing the name is silly and pointless but what does it have to do with the FA?

If a Club wants to change it's name then why should the FA have a sanction?

Clapton/Leyton Orient
    Swansea Town/City

Unless it is offensive or illegal why should the FA have the power stop a club renaming themselves?

I'm assuming one reason is because any change in name leads to a whole headache with membership, administration etc.

I don't know the exact reasoning but I think its a good thing that they do have to go through the FA. I wish they could do more to stop such idiots coming into the English game in the first place.
  • Options
    I'm not sure that the owner sees Hull City fans as the main consumers. It would seem the overseas market is more important. I wouldn't be happy with our new owner changing our name to the Charlton Swords so we could sell Charlton vests and pj sets in downtown Mumbai.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I'm not sure that the owner sees Hull City fans as the main consumers. It would seem the overseas market is more important. I wouldn't be happy with our new owner changing our name to the Charlton Swords so we could sell Charlton vests and pj sets in downtown Mumbai.

Neither would I but does it have anything to do with the FA.

If it is trying to con people ie calling the club Madchester United but otherwise why is it their business especially as they are happy to allow West Ham to move into Orient's patch.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Neither would I but does it have anything to do with the FA.

If it is trying to con people ie calling the club Madchester United but otherwise why is it their business especially as they are happy to allow West Ham to move into Orient's patch.
    Maybe it's a way to show you that they have the ultimate power in deciding everything.....
  • Options
    I think its a real eye opener for those that want instant success at any price,

the owner tbf listening to him and watching him in interviews seems like a real kind and genuine gentleman

but he has said, if anyone tells him he cant he will leave within 24hrs ,

does this mean he can take back the money he has put in
  • Options
    Rugby clubs and cricket counties have changed names/invented brand names for different competitions .. Most Hull fans are probably not fussed so long as the club is successful .. It's probably a case of the vociferous objectors trying to get their own way .. the tail trying to wag the dog .. as for the FA .. it can 'interfere' with clubs administration if the actions of the owners are bringing the game into disrepute .. given all the dodgy characters who have come into English football over the past few years, one would think that the FA had more things to worry about than the desire of a man to change the name of the club he owns in a very inoffensive way .. Hull City Tigers sounds OK to me ... How many people call the Tottenham club 'The Spurs' rather than the 'official name' .. if you get my drift
  • Options
    Look at the damage Newton Heath FC suffered when they became Manchester United.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

What is the most recent example of a name change you can think of? I can only think of Orient switching back and forwards with the Leyton bit, and Swansea changing from Town to City, in my lifetime, and I'm getting on a bit.

I can remember a few tinkerings with names - Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic became AFC Bournemouth in the early seventies and Hartlepools United became Hartlepool and then Hartlepool United at around the same time. I'm sure there must be others. The most recent controversial name change in English football was probably Newcastle's ridiculous idea to change St James's Park to the Sports Direct Arena. That didn't last long. And nor, I suspect, would Hull Tigers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They could always change it back when they have a different owner.
  • Options
    David Conn saying that the FA committee have rejected the name change.

• Options
    @Lincsaddick That wasn't what was proposed. Allam wants to change the name to Hull Tigers thus dropping City altogether.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Clubs like us and The Trust need to keep a close on situations like this.
  • Options
    Wimbledon to Mk Dons was ok ? Why not Tigers
  • Options

It shouldn't have been OK though should it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

@Lincsaddick That wasn't what was proposed. Allam wants to change the name to Hull Tigers thus dropping City altogether.

according to the BBC website, the FA are not going to allow the name change .. a homicide or suicide attempt ? .. Allam has put millions into the club, he may now walk away in disgust .. a case perhaps where the undue influence of a few 'diehard' fans who would rather watch 'City' in the conference than 'Tigers' in the premier has swung the FA's approval their way
  • Options
    Signed just in time then !
  • Options

according to the BBC website, the FA are not going to allow the name change .. a homicide or suicide attempt ? .. Allam has put millions into the club, he may now walk away in disgust .. a case perhaps where the undue influence of a few 'diehard' fans who would rather watch 'City' in the conference than 'Tigers' in the premier has swung the FA's approval their way
    It would set a dangerous precedent if they allowed the name change. Just because he's bought the club it doesn't mean he can do what he wants.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

It would set a dangerous precedent if they allowed the name change. Just because he's bought the club it doesn't mean he can do what he wants.
    well I would disagree with that, so long as the changes are not too fundamental and detrimental to the well being of the organisation concerned .. how many 'fit and proper persons' have bought clubs and F***ed them right up the swanee ?, but that's OK if the names remain the same ? .. any owner has a right under most circumstances to change the name of a company that he controls, so long as the majority of shareholders and companies house agree .. in this case, a separate old boys club/closed shop, the FA, has (reportedly)put a nix against the plan .. fair enough .. as stated in the previous post, Allam now has the option of withdrawing his finances and selling the club .. perhaps the 'cityites', the 'traditionalists' can stump up the cash for the purchase
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A late answer to @PragueAddick, if we consider 'recent' name changes the ones that occured after WW2, apart from Orient and Swansea,
    Hartlepool and Bournemouth mentioned by Bill Stumps, we also have Cambridge United formerly Abbey United (1919 to 1949), Scunthorpe
    formerly Scunthorpe and Lindsey United (1910 to 1958) and Millwall previously Millwall ATHLETIC - of all names (1889 to 1985).
    Won't post the list of the name changes before WW2, too many of them (53). Since we're playing them tomorrow, Bournemouth was called Boscombe St.John's from 1890 to 1899
    Boscombe from 1899 to 1923
    Bournemouth & Boscombe from 1923 to 1971
  • Options
    adrian said:

A late answer to @PragueAddick, if we consider 'recent' name changes the ones that occured after WW2, apart from Orient and Swansea,
    Hartlepool and Bournemouth mentioned by Bill Stumps, we also have Cambridge United formerly Abbey United (1919 to 1949), Scunthorpe
    formerly Scunthorpe and Lindsey United (1910 to 1958) and Millwall previously Millwall ATHLETIC - of all names (1889 to 1985).
    Won't post the list of the name changes before WW2, too many of them (53). Since we're playing them tomorrow, Bournemouth was called Boscombe St.John's from 1890 to 1899

Hold on - Millwall were called Millwall Athletic until 1985 ?
  • Options
    Hardy a few die hard fans.

15,000 people signed the petition and they did a very professional presentation

http://www.citytillwedie.com/fa-consultation/
  • Options

Why not? Because the vast majority of fans were totally against the change. What would happen if Roland decided to change us from being Charlton Athletic to Greenwich United? I think he'd be a complete mug to try!

That said, the situation with Wimbledon was different, though. That was where the club became split with one lot forming the MK Dons. This is about one club keeping the name it's had for ages and which their fans identify with.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

adrian said:

They dropped Athletic around 1920, a name they'd had since 1889. Before that they were known as Millwall rovers.

However, in 1972 they formally became known as Millwall scum..............
  • Options
    Hull's owner loses his battle to rename them The Tigers.
  • Options

se9addick said:

adrian said:

They dropped Athletic around 1920, a name they'd had since 1889. Before that they were known as Millwall rovers.

However, in 1972 they formally became known as Millwall scum..............

The latin phrase added to the club badge in the early 80s "Nit oneov yous likius" was later made into a club anthem by adding "But we dont care"
  • Options
    It had been on the cards

Bad news for Grant McCann as they want a Turkish dominated club, probably with a Turkish manager
  • Options
    It had been on the cards

Bad news for Grant McCann as they want a Turkish dominated club, probably with a Turkish manager
    Doesnt help him either that Hull are in a relegation battle.