Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    The end is coming.
  • Options
    Their supporters cant be happy. So corny.
  • Options
    Cringe.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I've been to go and see Hull play quite a bit when I at uni. There are a lot of "fairweather" fans who love this kind of jumped up bullshit. I know the old guard in the west upper where I usually grab a seat are going to be livid about this.
  • Options
    Oh.Dear.God
  • Options
    The club will be marketed locally as the 'Hull City Tigers' and nationally, and internationally, just as the 'Hull Tigers'.
    Won't take long for them to drop the 'City' completely.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    The FA should block name changes, soon it'll be like the MLS. We'll be the Charlton Robins or something ridiculous.
  • Options
    Many Hullians refer to the football team simply as "City" so I think there will be further backlash if they attempt to try and remove that altogether.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

The FA should block name changes, soon it'll be like the MLS. We'll be the Charlton Robins or something ridiculous.

South London Valiants?
  • Options
    Soon the Premier League is going to start sounding like an early 2000s version of Pro Evo
  • Options
    If football clubs are going to expect a myriad of foreign owners to step in and finance massive across-the-board losses, then they are going to have to give something up in return. Most are not doing it out of the kindness of their heart, even though ironically Hull's owner seems better than most.
  • Options
    South east London Red
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    iaitch said:

se9addick said:

South London Valiants?
    The Greenwich Meridians? The Greenwich Meantimes? Acworth Athletic?
  • Options
    Millwall Lionesses?
  • Options
    Tossers. Hope their real fans just ignore it - I will. For God's sake; they didn't even wear stripes last season. Don't these people realise that the reason football doesn't need to emulate all the silly juvenile "dynamic" names is that it has its own uniquely rich history to draw on? That kind of marketing crap really irritates me. Come on Hull City fans - tell them where to stick it.
  • Options
    South London Giants
  • Options
    grrrrrreeeeat when you're winning .. a redtop headline writers dream when you're at the bottom ... this is a BAD idea
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Arsenal Gunners FC
    Aston Martin Villians FC
    Red Dragons FC
    FC Dinamo Chelski
    Franchise Ultra Eagles FC
    Merseyside Blues FC
    M.J Fulham FC
    Hull Tigers FC
    Victims FC
    Man Citeh FC
    ManYoo FC
    Le Toon FC
    Lets Be AvIn U FC
    South Coast Saints FC
    FC of Long Ball Merchants
    Mackem FC
    Welsh Swans FC
    The Hotspurs FC
    FC Baggies
    Stratford Hammers FC
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The quiz questions about the only team you can't colour in any of their letters is now dead!
  • Options
    "My dislike for the work 'City' is because it is common.

"City is also associated with Leicester, Bristol, Manchester and many other clubs.

"In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly

Should someone point out to him that Tigers is longer than City?
  • Options
    County cricket has been rejuvenated by the advent of t20 and its associated silly names.
  • Options
    CHG said:

The quiz questions about the only team you can't colour in any of their letters is now dead!

• Options

County cricket has been rejuvenated by the advent of t20 and its associated silly names.

Thats cos county cricket and especially T20 is a bit of a joke. They havent done it to test cricket because it goes against tradition and its not needed. Same with football.
  • Options

do you really think more people go along because of the Surrey "brown caps"? ;)
  • Options
    Greenwich Mudlarks
    (sounds like a baseball team though)
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

No but I'm saying that I don't think the traditions of county cricket have been destroyed by adding a nickname to the end of the county name. Indeed it's arguably saved county cricket.

It's ironic that Cardiff and now Hull are the two clubs most impacted by these types of marketing ideas, and yet both have just been promoted to the Premiership. I suspect neither would have done so without their wealthy owners so the question for the fans is would you rather be struggling in the Championship/L1 or competing in the Premiership (having had to make one or two sacrifices to tradition along the way)?
  • Options
    Very good Sam3110
  • Options

McBobbin said:

No but I'm saying that I don't think the traditions of county cricket have been destroyed by adding a nickname to the end of the county name. Indeed it's arguably saved county cricket. It's ironic that Cardiff and now Hull are the two clubs most impacted by these types of marketing ideas, and yet both have just been promoted to the Premiership. I suspect neither would have done so without their wealthy owners so the question for the fans is would you rather be struggling in the Championship/L1 or competing in the Premiership (having had to make one or two sacrifices to tradition along the way)?
    I'd be all for modern marketing innovations IF I thought it would be in the club's best interests. Rebranding Hull City as 'The Tigers' would in my opinion make the club something of a laughing stock and would have a long term negative impact on the club, unless .. the whole FL and PL undertook wholesale joint rebranding exercises with every club taking on a 'brand name'
    In cricket and in Rugby League, whole new competitions were undertaken along with team renaming/rebranding and this has proved quite successful.
    Cardiff only changed the colour of their shirts to red, a colour which might be regarded as being lucky in the far east, it is also the colour traditionally associated with Wales and things welsh.
    My advice to the innovative and forward looking Hull City owner(s) ... errrr .. when it comes to tigers .. leave well alone, you might find that you have a tiger by the tail.