Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull City......Tigers

Comments

• Options
    A struggling team needs this controversy and upset like it needs a collective hole in the head .. the owner has a right to do what he wants within reason, but to (reportedly) wish death upon the team fans is outrageous .. anyway if they all die, who's gonna buy the season tickets and the overpriced tea, pies and merchandise
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    My God, how can he say that?

A classic example, as if one were needed, of "be careful what you wish for".
  • Options
    Tigers 1 .. Scouse pussycats 0
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    pussycats EQUALISE .. in the M62 derby
  • Options
    Off_it said:

shirty5 said:
    My God, how can he say that?

A classic example, as if one were needed, of "be careful what you wish for".
    100% agree Off It. That is absolutely unreal.

Might want to look at spending a few quid on his teeth before the team though!
  • Options
    winning 3-1 now
  • Options
    Saints leading at Chelsea .. I wonder what were the odds on a Hull (sorry, TIGERS)/Saints win double .. (there is still a long way to go at Stamford Bridge)
  • Options
    bang goes the win double
  • Options
    It's all fine and well to argue that the new owners at both Hull and Cardiff have got them in The Premiership and that some 'sacrifice' is perhaps acceptable but what happens when they go back down, as in my opinion they inevitably will. There are about 30 clubs in the Championship and Premiership of roughly similar size who over the last fifty years swap and change places on a continual basis (Hull and Cardiff aren't even in this league in fact).

People in the media and even on this site seem to discuss this matter as if they've forgotten that three teams will go down at the end of this and every season (or is there something we don't yet know about).
  • Options
    Ferocious and well argued article here

Petition against the name change here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it just me, but I don't see it as too big a deal.

Rugby now do this as has cricket in the recent past, surely this is just the evolution of sport. Can see a lot of football clubs doing similar in the very near future.
    Everybody saying 'I support Hull City not Hull Tigers' get a grip, its the same club!!

After all the guy has put in around 70mil into the club. He can do what he wants! If they aint happy, he can come to Charlton, put 70mil into us and call us whatever he likes. I sure wouldn't mind!
  • Options
    I would.
  • Options

Rugby now do this as has cricket in the recent past, surely this is just the evolution of sport. Can see a lot of football clubs doing similar in the very near future.
    Everybody saying 'I support Hull City not Hull Tigers' get a grip, its the same club!!

After all the guy has put in around 70mil into the club. He can do what he wants! If they aint happy, he can come to Charlton, put 70mil into us and call us whatever he likes. I sure wouldn't mind!

Well the petition has reached almost 12,000 already so there is the possibility that yes, it's just you. As to why, well it's all in the article, so i won't repeat it.

• Options

I would.

So would I.
  • Options
    Yeah I read the article. But everybody talks about protecting the history of our game, yet all through history there are many examples of clubs changing, badge, ground, colours and even name. So why is this any different?
    Hull haven't always played in Amber and Black stripes, or at the ground they now do. So why the uproar (excuse the pun) about the name.
  • Options

Well the petition has reached almost 12,000 already so there is the possibility that yes, it's just you. As to why, well it's all in the article, so i won't repeat it.

It's not just him, I think it's no big deal also.
  • Options
    And what, then, is the rational reason for changing?

Companies that own brands change hands all the time, but the companies don't change the brand names just because they bought the company. It's not called the Tata XF for a reason! A brand is something which has an emotional value to the people who buy it.

A significant proportion of the customers of Hull City don't want to see the name of their brand changed.

What is the most recent example of a name change you can think of? I can only think of Orient switching back and forwards with the Leyton bit, and Swansea changing from Town to City, in my lifetime, and I'm getting on a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Just do not buy into the idea that owners can do as they please
    They are custodians and most are poor at that come to think of it?
    Yes they have invested there money but this is not businss it is arrogance and conceit to do as he feels his bucks have brought him
    His opinion of the fans are ridiculous simply because he is considerably richer then you are attitude
    Sure you are mate ? It certainly ain't for your Customer service skills is it ?
  • Options
    At least they are still Hull City.

By far and away the most ridiculous name change was Gravesend & Northfleet to Ebbsfleet Utd....
  • Options
    Many brands in the past have changed and became more successful. BT Cellnet became O2. Datsun became Nissan. Im sure these had a positive effect on their revenue figures.
    In terms of football, Ebbsfleet Utd's rebrand has certainly done them no harm. I know for a fact that their fans were very against the change but as it wasn't so mainstream with less coverage it went under the radar to some extent. Ask those same fans now, they would not go back to Gravesend and Northfleet.

Changing to Hull Tigers could be potentially profitable to the club. Whose to say it wont.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Many brands in the past have changed and became more successful. BT Cellnet became O2. Datsun became Nissan. Im sure these had a positive effect on their revenue figures.
    In terms of football, Ebbsfleet Utd's rebrand has certainly done them no harm. I know for a fact that their fans were very against the change but as it wasn't so mainstream with less coverage it went under the radar to some extent. Ask those same fans now, they would not go back to Gravesend and Northfleet.

Changing to Hull Tigers could be potentially profitable to the club. Whose to say it wont.

OK please explain where the extra profits come from and why.

• Options
    Not understanding their marketing strategy and target investment partners, its hard to say. But many companies have changed in the past and been successful. Hull as a business needs to attract sponsors and investors and if they feel they can do that better with a Tigers than a City, that's for the 'experts' that Mr Allam pays thousands for to deduce.

• Options
    The snag with BT Cellnet and Datsun as examples is that these were not particularly successful brands, in competitive markets. The Jaguar name however was a major asset (in many ways more of an asset than the most recent cars). Same is true of Volvo. There is absolutely no reason I )or Marketing Week magazine) can think of to think the brand name Hull City is any kind of problem. His alleged problems with it are laughable, and not based on any kind of market research. It's just a rich man's ego, out of control.

And by the way it is widely alleged that half of his 70m "investment" are loans, which he threatens to withdraw if his customers don't "die" soon enough. Lovely chap.
  • Options
    Yeah I saw that 'die' comment and that's just ridiculous and not even worth discussing as im sure we wont disagree on that.

There were successful companies at the time but you could argue they are more so after the re-brand. The biggest one that comes to my mind is Yahoo, I believe that used to be called Jerry's guide.

How are you aware of what market research has been done? Im sure he wouldn't be in this position without consulting somebody.
  • Options

Yeah I saw that 'die' comment and that's just ridiculous and not even worth discussing as im sure we wont disagree on that.

There were successful companies at the time but you could argue they are more so after the re-brand. The biggest one that comes to my mind is Yahoo, I believe that used to be called Jerry's guide.

How are you aware of what market research has been done? Im sure he wouldn't be in this position without consulting somebody.

Because people who have done the research would explain to the press - and therefore to their customers - the results, and the positive implications for the club. Why would they not? there is nothing to hide, and a lot to gain, because he would pacify the protests. The writer in Marketing Week magazine clearly is in no doubt about how much professional marketing work has been done on this decision.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I refuse to believe that somebody has invested that much and done little or no research. He will have teams of aides to help his aides. That's what big business men are all about. He will have a crack team of lawyers checking the legal implications if he can or cant do this. So why not a team to check if its needed. Now we may not be party to such information, but surely its his prerogative as to whether to release it or not. I really cant see that he would do this without an end game if you will.

The Tiger symbalises invincibility, might and power in Asia and is part of a lot of companies branding. Maybe he has associates there.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, up to you how you evaluate him. Clearly for example he doesn't have any good PR advisers, since a half decent one would have prevented anything like the "die" comment. Another rich businessman who didn't think he needed PR advisers was Gerald Ratner.

What if you think of it like this. In some brands, the name might be less important than in others. In the case of Cellnet, did you go round proudly telling people you were a Cellnet customer? Doubt it. So it's no big deal if you wake up next day and it's called O2. But what about your car? I think most Jaguar owners feel a frisson of,pride when someone asks them what car they drive.
    Now what about your football team? When someone asks me the name of my football team, the answer sounds almost sacred. And if I had to answer, say, Red Bull charlton, I honestly don't think I could say it. What is the point of a brand name which makes a large number of your most loyal customers feel physically sick?
  • Options
    ^^^^ this .. and the owner, loath or love him ... has pumped a lot of money into the club .. he's given Bruce a tidy few pence to sign some terrific players .. the signing of Tom Huddlestone was a master stroke .. compare his form to the laughable midfield mob who cost a fortune back @ Spurs
  • Options
    Allam's also bought North Ferriby United for his daughter. Soon to be North Ferriby United Villagers presumably. Or just The Village people maybe.