Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bright furious with treatment as pundit is given just one day of work a MONTH by BBC after 14 years

Didn't mind Bright as a pundet. A bit one dimensional but not over opinionated, self obsessed or totally negative like the BBC norm.
I suppose Alan Green and Mr Savage will pick up the slack.

Football pundit Mark Bright is understood to be furious at the way he was ditched by BBC Sport this week after having worked for the Corporation for 14 years.
The former Crystal Palace striker was only told officially on Tuesday — with the Football League season having already kicked off — that he would no longer have regular employment across multiple platforms, as he has done since joining the Beeb in 1999.
Out: Mark Bright (right) was only told officially on Tuesday that he was being ditched by BBC Sport
Bright, who appeared on BBC London, Radio 5 Live, Final Score and Capital One Cup coverage last season, was informed by football producer Mark Cole, also in charge of BBC sports talent, that programme changes mean he is only required one day a month.
Bright is understandably angry at the lack of courtesy and respect in the timing of the decision, which gave him little time to find other openings for the new season.
A BBC spokesman said: ‘Mark has worked on an ad hoc basis across the football output. We hope to continue to work with Mark during the forthcoming season. We have had conversations with Mark about his future throughout the summer.’

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    To be honest, I've never thought he was much cop. As you say, not over-opinionated or anything, just a bit naff.

Still, not a good way to be treated though. Although I suspect he is self employed and not under contract, otherwise he'd probably be entitled to a notice period or termination payment.
  • Options
    There's about 2 million unemployed people in the UK who I would feel sorry for before a very rich ex-footballer.
  • Options
    I always felt he seemed awkward when speaking on the box meself.

Well done BBC! @AlgarveAddick
  • Options
    They don't owe him a living.
  • Options
    Any Charlton fans feeling sympathy towards Bright must recall that during the play offs last season, he constantly referred to Palace as "we".

Maybe it was this brilliant neutrality on the BBC that persuaded them to pull the plug on him.

• Options
    I thought he was very poor.
  • Options
    Wish they'd do the same to Mark Lawrenson.
  • Options
    I worked with Mark once, and thought him a little distant, It was at Gillingham on the CAFC cup match that we got stuffed.
    I was with Tony Gubba taking some photographs in the gantry, while Tony was very helpful, Mark did not want to 'engage' an hour before kick off even though I was wearing a BBC staff badge and he was covering it for radio. So naturally I did not interview him at TV centre on the World cup meet the coverage team. Ian Wright was as nice as pie, as was the other guy's.
    Brighty clocked me, and looked down. Perhaps he does not like his photo taken?. Commentator, sorry his voice is a bit tiresome to me. Think he started off doing the friday night spot on BBC London regional with Riz, who is the complete opposite, friendly as anything.
  • Options
    He is useless. Surprised that they feel he's worth one day a month frankly.
  • Options
    Does that story actually have any quotes from Bright to indicate that he's "furious" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    let him do the skiing to keep him happy.
  • Options
    Never liked him as a pundit . He's a lover if the Nigel's so I have no sympathy.
  • Options
    I've never like him either. He kind of makes me cringe, a bit like Garth Crooks, but obviously not as bad.
    I think they're right to get shot, but then I'd be happy if they got shot of most of them.
  • Options
    I'm more shocked that Ken worked for the BBC? This is news to me?
  • Options
    Like him as a bloke but always thought he had nothing to say. Mind you that hasn't stopped Alan Shearer climbing the greasy pole!
  • Options

There's about 2 million unemployed people in the UK who I would feel sorry for before a very rich ex-footballer.

This.
  • Options
    He's shit - can barely string a sentence together. Been stealing a living off them (and therefore, by definition, off of us as well) for years - he should be thankful for the work he has had, not moaning about what he's being given now.
  • Options
    He's on effectively a zero hours contract. Don't suppose he gave a **** for all those on such contracts before the reality of being on one struck home personally.

Welcome to Great Britain in 2013.
  • Options
    His punditry efforts are similar to his playing efforts .. loads of huff & puff and effort, not enough coherence or class.
    I am pleased to see that at last the BBC is clearing out the deadish wood .. problem is who will we get instead? ... more Jackie Oatley .. I shudder at the prospect
  • Options
    Hopefully Alan Green will be next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can only hope GPA, we can only hope
  • Options
    His Prediction for the 2011/12 season says it all:

MARK BRIGHT, BBC LONDON

1 Liverpool 2 Man Utd 3 Man City 4 Arsenal

"Liverpool finished 22 points behind United last season but only Sir Alex Ferguson amassed more points than Kenny Dalglish since the 'king' took over from Roy Hodgson.

"Why will they win it? The Reds have four players who could grace any team in the Premier League: Pepe Reina, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, then add to the mix promising youngsters like John Flanagan, new faces like Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing plus team spirit, desire and 21 years of hurt."
  • Options

This
  • Options
    Shocking pundit/commentator, but no worse than some of the others on the bbc.
    Sky are miles ahead of the rest.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I'm more shocked that Ken worked for the BBC? This is news to me?

hah

• Options

I didn't mind Alan Green and would rather him than some ex-pro who is only there because he's received some media training rather than for anything he's got to say. The likes of Robbie, 'Have you ever played the game?' Savage, make me puke.

But like Folev said above, Sky are miles ahead of the BBC. If any ex players are looking for a career as a pundit they should watch Gary Neville for how it should be done.
  • Options

...Perhaps he does not like his photo taken?...

What a brilliant career path he's followed then, professional footballer to tv pundit ;-)
  • Options

His Prediction for the 2011/12 season says it all:

MARK BRIGHT, BBC LONDON

1 Liverpool 2 Man Utd 3 Man City 4 Arsenal

"Liverpool finished 22 points behind United last season but only Sir Alex Ferguson amassed more points than Kenny Dalglish since the 'king' took over from Roy Hodgson.

"Why will they win it? The Reds have four players who could grace any team in the Premier League: Pepe Reina, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, then add to the mix promising youngsters like John Flanagan, new faces like Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing plus team spirit, desire and 21 years of hurt."

Fantastic! I remember his article in The Metro claiming that referees shouldn't have to know every rule after one of them made a mistake!
  • Options
    Not a fan of Mark Bright at all. I remember watching him on that Late Kick Off show and would just be irritated by his voice and over the top enthusiasm about the most mundane of points being made.

And as already stated, he proper loves the Nigels.
  • Options
    I cannot, cannot stand Bright as a pundit. That whiny "why didn't he do this? Why did he shoot from there? Why not do this" approach is so grating I will not watch any game he commentates.