Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 4 (yes, FOUR) Oxford 0 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Must admit I was not looking forward to this game for the usual reasons. Poor attendance, weakened team, opposition teams and fans cup final, slumbering to an embarrassing defeat. How glad I did not swerve this match. Thought Cort was outstanding putting his body on the line with last ditch tackles and headers. Pigott looks to have something about him, great to see our youths making the first team. Thanks to the inbetweeners in the lower north. Not many of them but what a racket they made throughout the match.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    RedChaser said:

rikofold said:

Well, I didn't see anything in the midfield that would dislodge Hughes and Gower from a starting berth on Saturday, and I'd expect Wilson to get the nod ahead of Green for Pritchard's berth, Green putting in the sort of performance that switched between showing his talent and showing why Powell struggles to trust him.

The team did more than enough to win, but the central midfield didn't do enough to get hold of the game in the first hour. We didn't cope with their players running through our midfield in the first half and a better side might have taken one of the two or three decent chances they had.

Interesting observations especially as we were 3-0 up after 57 minutes. SCP may well decide to give the same team, barring Pritchard, that under performed last Saturday a chance to put the record straight. However three of that midfield are now under added pressure to deliver, if selected!
    Equally we could very well have gone in having conceded 2 or 3 goals. I stand by my view that it wasn't until we were comfortable in the score that the midfield, particularly Stephens, really took hold of that area. I'd politely suggest that we were 3-0 up because of our strikers and wide men rather than anything we were doing well in the middle.

If Stephens and Hollands wanted to claim a starting spot against Boro, they needed to get control of that midfield from the off - they didn't. They waited until the second half to start playing.

That's not to say we ever looked like losing the game, by the way.
  • Options
    Pelham123 said:

Thanks to the inbetweeners in the lower north. Not many of them but what a racket they made throughout the match.

Haha I love this quote.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    rikofold said:

RedChaser said:

rikofold said:

Well, I didn't see anything in the midfield that would dislodge Hughes and Gower from a starting berth on Saturday, and I'd expect Wilson to get the nod ahead of Green for Pritchard's berth, Green putting in the sort of performance that switched between showing his talent and showing why Powell struggles to trust him.

The team did more than enough to win, but the central midfield didn't do enough to get hold of the game in the first hour. We didn't cope with their players running through our midfield in the first half and a better side might have taken one of the two or three decent chances they had.

Interesting observations especially as we were 3-0 up after 57 minutes. SCP may well decide to give the same team, barring Pritchard, that under performed last Saturday a chance to put the record straight. However three of that midfield are now under added pressure to deliver, if selected!
    Equally we could very well have gone in having conceded 2 or 3 goals. I stand by my view that it wasn't until we were comfortable in the score that the midfield, particularly Stephens, really took hold of that area. I'd politely suggest that we were 3-0 up because of our strikers and wide men rather than anything we were doing well in the middle.

If Stephens and Hollands wanted to claim a starting spot against Boro, they needed to get control of that midfield from the off - they didn't. They waited until the second half to start playing.

That's not to say we ever looked like losing the game, by the way.
    That's not the way I saw it and neither did the vast majority of those who gave above average marks in the 'Players Marks' thread to Stephens and Hollands, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    Rik

We haven't got any midfield combo that can control a whole game, even with JJ in it. What I am saying is that with a squad as currently unbalanced as ours is, what is the point of keeping Stephens and Hollands for yet another season of bench warming duties ? Free up their wages, and get either a striker or a dynamic 'Jonjo Shelvey / Lee Bowyer' type midfielder in...someone who is capable of dictating a game and getting it by the scruff of the neck.

I like both Gower and Hughes as good blokes and good pros, but it is an indictment of our Championship squad to be starting games with a midfield pairing with a combined age of 69.
  • Options

If Hollands and Stephens don't now get a start against Boro, they should be shipped out before the end of the transfer window. Personally I think any midfield permutation works better without Pritchard in it, as he lacks the technical ability to cut it at Championship level.

Pritchard despite his weaknesses had a good season in the Championship last season.

Where's this myth that he's technically poor come from? He's not as good technically as Green or Stephens but he's shown he can be effective at this level - the other two only are in the odd game. As for Hollands I would't say he's much better technically than Pritchard.

It's about everything a player has offer. Playing too many of Green, Stephens, Jackson and Hollands would be a big step backwards. That's a midfield that isn't Championship standard - you need a mixture of pace and energy as well as skill. If we have too many sitters/holders and players that lack pace we won't close down well, run with the ball or move off the ball well enough.

I'm not sure who our best partnership is at the moment but if Jackson's fit he should be starting. That leaves room for one of Stephens, Hughes, Gower and Hollands. Main thing for me is getting the balance right, I'd say that means there is only room for one of Green or Stephens, and Hughes or Gower.
  • Options
    Scoham

I would be interested to see Pritchard's pro zone stats. I would guess that he covers the most ground of any Charlton player. I would also suggest, based on seeing live most of his performances last season, that an awful lot of our moves break down or are slowed down by his poor passing and heavy touches. That is not to depreciate in any way what the boy has achieved relatively late in his footballing career. Very often he has to chase to win the ball back..because he has lost it in the first place.

It is possible to 100% admire Pritchard for working so hard to make a career as a pro, whilst possibly admitting it would be more effectively plied at League One or League Two level
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2013
    Joint 4th highest number of assists in the league last year. More than Bellamy, Zaha, Pedersen etc...
  • Options
    And misplaced passes ?
  • Options
    Funny how MOM varies, I was in the east stand last night and thought Hollands was our worst player. I thought Pigot showed real promise and heard his older brother on Talk Sport later that evening saying he'd compare him to a 'Berbatov' type player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in the East and thought Hollands done a great job. Think him or Stephens should get the nod in front of Hughes Saturday if Jackson is still out.
  • Options

And misplaced passes ?

If you can get me the stats rather than speculate, ill hold my hands up and say the person who created the most goals for us when finishing 9th in the second tier of English football is crap and is league two standard.
  • Options
    WSS

Nobody is claiming Pritchard is crap as you put it. That is the sort of ultra sensitive hyperbole that for some reason always seems to intrude when Pritchard's merits as a Championship standard footballer are debated. I have no idea what his stats are for misplaced passes or heavy touches (or air shots in the penalty box...), which is why it would be good to see his stats.

It is surely undeniable though that a lot of our passing movements break down because of him. He has improved, and hopefully will continue to, but is probably destined to be a "marmite" player for many Charlton fans.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

And misplaced passes ?

Pritchard keeps his passing short and simple. I'd say he generally keeps possession well, I don't remember him having games in which he constantly gave the ball away - not on a regular basis anyway.

I don't have the stats on passing but I'm sure he will be no worse than than players like Stephens or Green. The stats I do have show he made 36 league starts, made 6 sub appearances, scored 3 goals and got 11 assists in a team that finished just outside the play-offs.
  • Options
    The only thing that stops Pritch being a top player is that his first touch is nowhere near good enough regularly enough,

Every other part of his game is no problem, Pritch doesn't try to hit 40 yd passes his passing is over 10-20 yd passes, he intercepts, he breaks up play and he moves it on, The nonsense that he miss places passes is wrong, He sometimes for what ever reason either Technique, or concentration does not always control the ball with his first touch resulting In the turn over of play
  • Options
    Scoham said:

And misplaced passes ?

Pritchard keeps his passing short and simple. I'd say he generally keeps possession well, I don't remember him having games in which he constantly gave the ball away - not on a regular basis anyway.

I don't have the stats on passing but I'm sure he will be no worse than than players like Stephens or Green. The stats I do have show he made 36 league starts, made 6 sub appearances, scored 3 goals and got 11 assists in a team that finished just outside the play-offs.
    If you want an example of someone capable of spending a full 90 minutes passing to anyone but his teammates, I give you the "technically superior" Dale Stephens.
  • Options
    League Cup Show on at 11:35 on BBC1
  • Options
    Interesting question that...who is the better passer and has the better touch... Dale or Bradley ?

It's a complete mystery to me why Stephens has gone backwards (a bit like his passing). Has it been coached out of him, has he lost confidence, lost interest after Villa, or is he just no good?
  • Options
    stephens has the better first touch and has grown up knowing he was a footballer , Pritch worked his way there so whilst Dale with better coaching early in his career ensured his touch was better it also meant that he tries more things than pritch including harder riskier passes,

pritch however has 1 thing dale doesn't have enough of and that is the heart and desire to make it at cafc
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think thats a fair point u raise grove park and I am a big fan of pritch

I think he will have a huge season this year. He usually has good footballing.smarts and never usually delivers a shocker. Guess Saturday could have been one though.

I think cousins has a great future. Modern athlete but one that.can.play also

we are debating athletes v footballers. We got too many either-ors. Oh for a dale pritchard who gets stuck in and then shows finesse.

I reckon that guy could be cousins. Throw him in with gower on Saturday and watch them boss it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013

Scoham

I would be interested to see Pritchard's pro zone stats. I would guess that he covers the most ground of any Charlton player. I would also suggest, based on seeing live most of his performances last season, that an awful lot of our moves break down or are slowed down by his poor passing and heavy touches. That is not to depreciate in any way what the boy has achieved relatively late in his footballing career. Very often he has to chase to win the ball back..because he has lost it in the first place.

It is possible to 100% admire Pritchard for working so hard to make a career as a pro, whilst possibly admitting it would be more effectively plied at League One or League Two level

The more involved in the game you are the greater the probability of the odd mistake.

Kishishev suffered from that with some in the Charlton crowd yet his stats for passes and tackles were amongst the most impressive in the Premier league.

Pritchard's stats for assists are right up there as has been said and he is presenting more of a goal scoring threat now too. If he gets a fair run of matches I reckon he could get 5 goals this season which is not bad from midfield.

Pritch and Kish are different players in many ways but the common denominator is their industry and willingness. Neither hide for long periods of games which cannot be said of some like Stephens and unless a team has an abundance of talent, which we do not, players with that type of sheer persistence and energy are worth their weight in gold.

• Options
    Agree with the points made and whilst not rating Pritchard as a footballer, I take my hat off to him for his achievement.

Something our captain said at the recent fans Open Day stuck in my mind... That part of his role as skipper was being "Uncle Jonny" as he put it, and dishing out a rollicking to the young lads when required.

I still think Jordan Cousins is potentially head and shoulders above everyone....please God don't send him out on loan to get so called experience. Let him get it playing for us on the middle alongside Jackson.
  • Options
    Pritch has his weaknesses but i would prefer him over Stephens and hollands in the middle. Out on the right though i would have green, wilson and the departed wagstaff before him.
  • Options

iPhone on train home so forgive any typos or predictive text issues

Unexpectedly entertaining and enjoyable evening. Making allowances for a game but limited opposition I thought we played very well. Very little hoofball and some promising stuff.

Hamer - little to do but he Di it well
    Evina - great coming forward. Not seriously tested at the back. Maybe wiggins going wouldn't be the total disaster I think it would?

Cort - very solid and entertaining in that faintly bizarre way that he often is.

Wood - I was impressed. Doesn't mess about with his clearances. Also comfortable on the ball. A good acquisition although will need to be judged against better oppo.

Wilson - tidy but didn't come forward with any authority. Better at the back than I've seen him but question marks over the quality of the oppo

Stephens - class. Utterly bossed it.

Hollands - did what he did in league 1. Solid and dependable. Not sure it's championship stuff though

Green - I've got a blind spot for him. Much prefer when he is in the team. Did lots if good stuff although get the feeling he could really grab a game by the scruff of the neck if he wanted to.

Cook - good first half nearly persuaded me that he's any good. Second half reminded me that he isn't.

Piggott - good boy. Lots of promise. Don't think he's quite ready for the first team but he sure is a prospect.

Church - knows where the goal is. Good to see him scoring soon after missing a sitter.

Good crowd noise for a poor attendance. Hard to estimate but probably under 5k. Not many full blooded tackles but all in all glad I went.

I'd say a very good summary, although a tad harsh on Cook, who had a decent 2nd half and he's "filled out".

Subs - Cousins looked excellent, Harriot looked sharp as a knife and Sordell looked likely to score as well.
  • Options
    Don't get this Pritchard knocking. You can't hide on a football pitch and get away with it in the same way you can't fool seasoned professionals that you can hack it by running around looking busy. He is not technically as gifted as Stephens but he is perfectly comfortable at Championship level and is an important part of our team. The right side of midfield is his berth until either Wilson or Green can prove they can contribute as much as Pritch does. I have seen nothing to convince me that either will.
  • Options
    10 quid well spent! Not excited before the game but considering the team Powell put out I was pleasantly surprised. Strong in every department and didn't give oxford a sniff of a chance. Yes it was only Oxford but every player looked focused and Powell has plenty of options which was good to see. Only negative was how the heck did Church miss that sitter. Lovely ball in from Piggott that should have been dispatched to the back of the net!
  • Options

Agree with the points made and whilst not rating Pritchard as a footballer, I take my hat off to him for his achievement.

Something our captain said at the recent fans Open Day stuck in my mind... That part of his role as skipper was being "Uncle Jonny" as he put it, and dishing out a rollicking to the young lads when required.

I still think Jordan Cousins is potentially head and shoulders above everyone....please God don't send him out on loan to get so called experience. Let him get it playing for us on the middle alongside Jackson.

I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above Poyet.

• Options
    Enjoyable game - a nice change from recent cup games. Got the job done, no fuss or bother. Nicely balanced 4-4-2, good football, some very good individual performances.

Stephens and Hollands were too good for opponents from two levels below. They controlled the central midfield, dictated the tempo of the game and dominated possession.

Two nice goals from Church, but he also missed a sitter after a great set-up by Pigott, who looked good against league two opposition and would score goals at that level.

Wood had a steady game. Has a good left foot. He will balance up the central defence whenever he gets a game in the first team.

• Options
    Exiled Addick says

If you want an example of someone capable of spending a full 90 minutes passing to anyone but his teammates, I give you the "technically superior" Dale Stephens.

Did you go to the game against Oxford lots of guys who know their football made him man of the match.
    Allways feel he gets a lot of unfair criticism on here!