Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 4 (yes, FOUR) Oxford 0 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Vemberlee. Vemberlee, ve are si greatest fussball team and ve are going to Vemberlee, Vemberleee!
  • Options
    Piggott looks an excellent prospect - no idea how he would shape up against Championship defenders but he should get a chance sooner or later...
    Interesting watching the right side trying second guess who replaces Pritch?
    Loadsa bookings and niggling injuries late on but we have a big squad so no worries!
    Looking forward to the draw and Boro on Saturday who have now played 2 lost 2 :)
    I'm going for a cup run this season - bring it on!
  • Options
    Green still doing the shooting from corners bollocks.
  • Options
    echo what most people have said - team played well, passed it around nicely and Stephens & Hollands even managed to go forward with the ball. Cook played his best game for us and Piggott carried on where he left off in the pre-seasons. Nice to see a forward (Church) finish well - shame he missed the easiest chance of the night. Sordell looked useful in his 10 min cameo.

CP has a few headaches ahead of Saturday.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that. Just Oxford and all that but we've screwed up plenty of games like that. Despite being largely a second eleven there was plenty of first team experience out there, and it showed; we've quietly put together a decent second string. Stephens and Hollands bossed it and all 4 midfielders impressed despite giving their detractors a few moments to feed on. Everyone worked hard to the extent that I don't think Hamer made a save.

Well done all the new boys but special mention for Piggot who was outstanding, primarily with his back to goal when he barely conceded possession at all, yet still managed to create v chances for both his strike partners. Great to see a centre forward who can do the unglamorous hold-up stuff but still finish himself when the chance arises. Hope he can continue learning and developing - he could be some player in two years.

At times the square passing at the back seemed a little extreme but good to see us trying to build patiently as long as we get the balance right, and as I mentioned, we pretty much starved Oxford of a decent chance. Probably like many others I thought before the game, "Wouldn't it be nice if for once we could just beat a "lesser" side 4-0 in the League Cup", dreading another punchless surrender. This was far from that.
  • Options
    Based upon tonight's performance, my team for Saturday would be

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Cort
    Wiggins
    Green
    Gower
    Stephens
    Harriott
    Yann
    Church

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Well done all the new boys but special mention for Piggot who was outstanding, primarily with his back to goal when he barely conceded possession at all, yet still managed to create v chances for both his strike partners. Great to see a centre forward who can do the unglamorous hold-up stuff but still finish himself when the chance arises. Hope he can continue learning and developing - he could be some player in two years.

Piggott seems the real deal really looking forward to watching him, its not pace or direct play its ver intelligent Sheringhamesq play

really rate this lads chances no loan scp keep him learning with us and bed him in
  • Options

Based upon tonight's performance, my team for Saturday would be

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Cort
    Wiggins
    Green
    Gower
    Stephens
    Harriott
    Yann
    Church

Can't argue with that selection. Who gets dropped if Jacko is fit?
  • Options
    Is going to work late and hungover after the first round of the League Cup acceptable if you're a cup competition starved Addick ? I hope so !
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Should have mentioned another day Pigott would have had 3 assists. First few minutes he put Church through with a good ball over the Oxford defence, unfortunately Church's touch let him down.

Second half from the right in space he put the ball across the box to Church. Great chance but he put it wide.

Later on he showed good feet and found the space to put Sordell in. Keeper saved the shot and put it out for a corner.

Would be interesting to see how he'd cope against Championship opposition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best ten pounds I've spent at a football match in a long time. Powell has a nice selection problem for this Saturday.
  • Options
    I would guess either Pigott or Cook will take the spot on the bench this sat.
  • Options
    Just got back - buzzing. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a cup game so much. Certainly not a League Cup Game. Cort was MoM for me, not only for his heroic defending but for getting forward and having a go at shooting. Church looked very sharp. I've seen Pigott a few times in pre-season friendlies and thought he looked a good striker; tonight he looked a good all-round forward. He held the ball up well and showed great awareness of where his team-mates were and played some lovely balls in for them. Credit to him for taking the pen and to Sordell for letting him. It was interesting that as soon as the ref pointed, Pigott went straight for the ball and Sordell went straight to the spot. At that point they both looked so keen I thought there'd be an argument.

Lots of funny little incidents too: The ref playing a perfect one-two; Cort trying his hardest to beat the forward to get the ball back to Hamer when he could have turned an gone - or just booted it out; All the calls for handball and other Charlie Cairoli style stuff. Wonderful entertainment.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, that's the best I've seen Jordan Cook play. He looked really keen to chase everything.
  • Options
    That was very good
  • Options
    HANDBALL.

Most fun Ive had at the valley for a long time.

Cort MOTM.
  • Options
    Posting without reading...

Hamer: not much to do. Couple of shots at him, nothing to report.
    Wilson: did okay, nothing bad, nothing great
    Cort: what a beast! Won everything in air, seems to be more comfortable at his feet. Loved his pea roller shot.
    Wood: did ok, very vocal, left footed which gives good balance.
    Ceddy: first half ok, second half pushed forward a lot more. Good performance.
    Green: tackled once or twice! Bit more work ethic than usual. Tried the spectacular shot when given the chance.
    Stephens: sprayed the ball nicely
    Hollands: really like Hollands, kept it ticking, few strong tackles
    Cook: Couple of nice runs, nothing fabulous
    Church: some brilliant runs, finished both goals very well. Missed a sitter, but looked very very lively.
    Piggott: even though he is slight, held the ball up with his back to goal brilliantly, nice couple of touches and passes, scored a pen (just about!)

Callum: couple of runs, linking with Ced when he came on
    Sordell: not enough time to impact, looked lively
    Cousins: great feet to win the pen, looked comfortable

Good performance against a lesser team, but they all count!

MOM: Cort was up there, but for the lovely finishes, will go with Church
  • Options
    Also have to add, the centre midfielder that oxford had called whing? Big lump. Yeah him. He is by far the Worst football player I have ever seen down at the valley. No idea how he has made it professional.
  • Options
    Leon Cort deserves to start Saturday , he played a fanatastic game . His commitment was excellent definatly my MOM . Cook surprisingly looked excellent too! Could list them all tbh . Good to see piggy get the goal. Did anyone see green trying to take the ball of him for the pen??? Thought that was a tad harsh on the lad. Glad he took it and scored
  • Options
    Surprised with the high scores for Cook, he was good-possibly the best he's played for us- but he still displayed the same failings, namely giving the ball away in possession.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was an entertaining game, as we had balance. A team with width. Pritch is a central midfielder.
  • Options
    Mmmh lets not draw too many conclusions after theis first round win.
  • Options
    HANDBALL!!
  • Options
    Really pleased for The Pig saw him get his hatrick at Welling and thought he was the real deal I hope he gets a chance in the Championship.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Surprised with the high scores for Cook, he was good-possibly the best he's played for us- but he still displayed the same failings, namely giving the ball away in possession.

Ditto.
  • Options
    Evina looks like he could be one incredible player.
  • Options
    Piggot looked lively, clever little jinks in and out peeling off defenders, if we had a more technically able midfield I think we'd see him on the end of some tidy through balls. Went missing for large spells though, once he starts to drop in and work his way into the game at times like this I think he could become a very good centre forward for us.

Quite pleased with church, pops up in the right areas at the right times, and more of a battler off the ball than I expected.
  • Options
    we played well, but slow. against a decent team we might of struggled due to the persistent passing back and across the defence.
    good things... out of the three obvious more likely to go in than not chances church got two out of three right.
    cort was mom. solid in nearly everything he did.
    piggot was excellent, held the ball up and was always an option, unfortunately the ball wasn't always given to him thanks to our lack of forward quick movement.
    after a poor first half green got into the game. he still cant get passed a player and cross but he went inside and contributed to some neat movements.
    the middle was lacking any pace but that has been a problem for a while. our defenders become the playmakers.
    evina was our weak point. attacking wise he was ok but for the job he's paid for he didn't really excel.

overall I'm pleased. saw some good performances even though the flaws of each player from last season are still very much there.
    for the new players/youths I thought all apart from a few mistakes by wood and church messing up one of his chances, played well. I would love the pig given more go's over the coming season. he played a CF role, but with Yann I think he go into a more of a striker role and score a few goals.

though some of the above sounds negative I am really pleased and surprised by the 4 nil win.

now lets win this bloody thing and get European football at the Valley as it's supposed to be.
  • Options
    At last a cup win!. Well done to the north lower. Jordan cook, church, piggy, cort Stevens all where good. Best game cook has had for us, loved tonight
  • Options
    Let's not get too carried away. We did outplay Oxford tonight, but they were ordinary League Two fare.

Frankly, I thought Green showed why he's not even an automatic second choice, and the difference between himself and retained Charlton youth players (Harriott, Pigott, Cousins). To me, he plays for himself first and the influence that has on his decisions means his value to the team is inconsistent even within a game, let alone a run of them.

Likewise I would expect a player of Stephens ability to be the standout player and run the game. He did ok, particularly second half, but nothing to suggest a first team recall would be imminent.

Instead, for me the standout players were Pigott, Evina and Church. Pigott's intelligent link play and movement, a fabulous work ethic and no little ability was an absolute delight to watch - he's still raw but there's a real player in there. In particular, the way he ran to collect the ball for the penalty and refused to give it to Green or Sordell, well there's a confident and determined lad who's giving himself every chance to make it. I expect to see more of him this year.

Special mention for Cook, who really put it in tonight. An honest player, I hope he makes it.