Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's Ultimate "Best Towns"

Comments

• Options

The really great thing about living in a small town is that it's self policing. If you get out of line here (Leominster) it's best to move out.

Send the chaps round to have a word with the ne'erdowells do ya m_b?
    At 67 I'm one of the Yoof here.

• Options
    I'd live in Killarney or Cork.

In England I'd choose somewhere like Fowey.
  • Options
    I am rather partial to Salcombe in Devon
  • Options
    iainment said:

I'd live in Killarney or Cork.

In England I'd choose somewhere like Fowey.

Spent sometime in the Tatler Jack many moons ago.
  • Options
    Harrogate
  • Options
    I think This ends all arguments which is the best. youtu.be/eYyxdmHogLU
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    live very very near reigate(village called meadvale classed as redhill but just at top of hill reigate starts! it is lovely also would say Uckfield and east grinstead, also lived in warminster in wiltshire which was nice place too! where my cousin(cafc fan) lives in oxfordshire chipping norton is nice place
  • Options
    Sheffield
  • Options

Sheffield

Lol......wrong thread?

• Options

Went to Sandown with the missus last week and stayed in Cobham. That whole area is stunning. Even better when you think you can get into London on the train in under an hour.

Damn good shout but they let all sorts live there ! I get to work in the City in an hour door to door - still 10+ hours a week commuting though.

Which hotel @ValleyGary ? There are a few but it is crying out for a really nice one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sheffield

Why are we now including other planets?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Not sure if already mentioned on this thread, but had a walk around Rye yesterday and could believe what a beautiful little place it was. One of the nicest High St's I could ever remember walking down and what looked some great pubs, restaurants and antique lock ups
  • Options

Not sure if already mentioned on this thread, but had a walk around Rye yesterday and could believe what a beautiful little place it was. One of the nicest High St's I could ever remember walking down and what looked some great pubs, restaurants and antique lock ups

Yes, a beautiful little town - but not to everyone's taste. The painter Edward Burra (1905-76) was brought up in Rye and papered over the windows of his studio so that he wouldn't have to see the impossibly pretty view. One day as a young man he left the family home on the pretext of buying some fags - and decamped to Harlem, where he painted the pimps and hookers, the spivs and gangsters.

• Options

That is a top, top spot a real hidden gem.

However, as Large Addick will testify the train fares from the Sussex coast to London are cripplingly expensive and the job market is pretty narrow down there so you have to commute to London.

My Uncle moved down there in the 90s and bought a massive place, he was a fibrous plasterer though and most of the work was in London so he moved back in the end as he was doing so much travelling back and forth.
  • Options
    I like Rye, but think Rye is a bit of a crap journey by train to London you have to get the once an hour little chugger across the marsh to Ashford then another train from there, though I agree it is a nice town, as is Winchelsea just up the road, if a little on the quiet side.

I like where I live now, Ramsgate, got some slightly dodgy areas, but not compared to London and I also like Broadstairs. Not particularly keen on Whitstable which has been mentioned, too many DFL's (Down From London) weekenders for my liking.

Agree with the shout for St Andrews, beautiful place, apart from the obvious dodgy weather.
  • Options
    Agree with you about Whitstable being somewhat overrated - Islington-on-Sea - and architecturally it doesn't have much to shout about: it was a small village before 1830 and is basically a Victorian port.

Ten miles west you've got a real gem of a town - Faversham. There are 500 years of building styles in Abbey Street alone, and note the Tudor shops with projecting upper storeys in West Street. It's a thriving place, not self-consciously twee, with working boatyards on the creek and the Shepherd Neame brewery. Faversham is overlooked by all the crowds heading on to Whitstable - and is all the better for that.
  • Options

...... as is Winchelsea just up the road, if a little on the quiet side.

Terrible name, should have been called Wincharlton.

See, sounds better already.

• Options
    Hartington in the gorgeous Peak District
    Winchelsea
    Hove
    Otford
  • Options
    Bradford on Avon
    Norton St Philip
  • Options
    Chipping Camden
    Stow on the Wold
    Burford
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woodstock
  • Options
    Well over here I have to say Sydney (has it all really) and Melbourne followed by the Margaret River area in WA.
  • Options
    Dulwich Village
    Kirkby Moorside
    Bicester
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Went to Sandown with the missus last week and stayed in Cobham. That whole area is stunning. Even better when you think you can get into London on the train in under an hour.

Damn good shout but they let all sorts live there ! I get to work in the City in an hour door to door - still 10+ hours a week commuting though.

Which hotel @ValleyGary ? There are a few but it is crying out for a really nice one.
    Sorry mate, just seen this.

We stayed at the Hilton Cobham. Did a job, indoor pool, clean room, decent restaurant. As you say, a real top of the range 5* Hotel would clean up.

The taxi ride to Sandown drove past some outrageous houses, especially near the racecourse.
  • Options
    No mention of Gillingham
    Heard its quite nice?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Upnor on the way to Gillingham isn't a bad place. got a few pubs. a little boatyard and an old cobbled street leading down to a castle which the Dutch once invaded. as far as I know the last slightly successful invasion by a foreign country.
  • Options
    I like Sandwich (in Kent, although I do like a sandwich, too). Whether I could live there or not...
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I like Sandwich (in Kent, although I do like a sandwich, too). Whether I could live there or not...

If it was handed to me on a plate I'd live there.

I'll get my coat.

• Options

hawksmoor said:

If it was handed to me on a plate I'd live there.

I'll get my coat.

There really is a village called Ham just a couple of miles from Sandwich.

• Options
    He's right, you know.