Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's Ultimate "Best Towns"

Comments

• Options
    I like Broadstairs and have spent some pleasant times in Faversham. And York. Whitby's nice too, so are Bath, Cheltenham. Struggling to think of many more, I actually like living in Lewisham and for now couldn't see me living anywhere else.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Southwold, Aldeburgh, Beccles in Suffolk, Leominster, Ludlow, Bewdley, Droitwich near where I grew up, Oakham, Stamford near to where I live now, Christchurch/Mudeford where I will be tomorrow. Durham is a lovely place too. Loved living in Sawbridgeworth in the late 80s
  • Options
    Sorry to be so predictable...Hastings.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We've lived down here for almost 3 years now and really like it, I've lived in a number of places in SE London( Lewisham, Lee, Eltham as well as Dartford, Gravesend, Greenhithe and Longfield in NW Kent) as well as Brighton and prefer Hastings to any of them. There are some really nice areas such as the Old Town, Clive Vale and the area around Alexander Park. Plenty of places to eat and the pubs in the Old Town are generally decent. Hastings has a calender of events through-out the year that is pretty amazing......come down on Pirates Day, Carnival week, Bonfire night (around mid October), Fat Tuesday, Wine and Seafood festival, Hastings beer and music festival or Jack in the Green day and I'm sure most would be impressed. Carnival week begins Saturday with loads going on....we are going to the music festival on Sunday (Hasting's has a very good live music scene and you can usually find something going on most nights of the week...and always on Sunday afternoons) and the pram race on Wednesday night has to be seen to believe (they even close the A259 down for it). We do have some problems down here so I guess it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea but if your living in a decent area and you get into the place then it's a great place to live and certainly never boring......and one last thing the people down here (or at least the ones we associate with) are some of the friendliest that we have ever met, typically they are people who have chosen to move down here from all over the place so everyone has something in common (we were made so wellcome when we first came down here)..and before anyone asks I don't work for the local tourist board.
  • Options
    Another vote for Bath, with Southwold a close 2nd.
  • Options
    Yes to Harrogate and York. Also Beverley, Skipton and Richmond (the North Yorkshire version).
  • Options
    Teignmouth & Shaldon
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Totnes, moved down here 10 years ago to study and have never left

Totnes, has a really good vibe and in a great part of the country, I quite liked Dartmouth too
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    York
    Lauder
    St Ives ( cambs )
    Canterbury
    Newmarket
    Woburn
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I live in quite a nice little town if you don't mind the chilly winters, the bears, the occasional devastating flood & moving 3000Kms from the Valley :)

Canmore Alberta Canada
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    St Albans
  • Options
    Gravesend
  • Options
    Cambridge
    Greenwich
    A few places in the New Forest
  • Options
    I've been brought up in Rye, East Sussex, and would add it to the list. Part of me wishes I'd lived in a bigger town/city with more to do, but in reality I think Rye has been a good place. Beautiful town, with great countryside around (which I run into often), decent transport links and just about enough going on. Looking forward to living in a bigger city when I leave for Uni in September, but I think Rye would be perfect for lots of people.
  • Options

I've been brought up in Rye, East Sussex, and would add it to the list. Part of me wishes I'd lived in a bigger town/city with more to do, but in reality I think Rye has been a good place. Beautiful town, with great countryside around (which I run into often), decent transport links and just about enough going on. Looking forward to living in a bigger city when I leave for Uni in September, but I think Rye would be perfect for lots of people.

Can't argue with that, we really like Rye but maybe a bit to quiet a place to actualy live.
  • Options

You didn't mention the seven seas.

• Options

Why would anyone mention your cod liver oil capsules?
  • Options

Bradford on Avon nr Bath.

This. My friends have recently moved there. Lucky them!
  • Options

Why would anyone mention your cod liver oil capsules?
    That made me so angry I fell out of my bath chair!

• Options
    Chichester for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenwich
    Also have a soft spot for Whitstable and Hastings.
  • Options

Brockenhurst. Time to get back on Rightmove and dream.

I stayed there for a long weekend in April for a family celebration. We hired a cottage just outside the village right on the edge of the forest. Such a beautiful place. How the other half live!

• Options

You beat me to it. So coming from a neutral poit of view, I would have to second it. I went there a couple of years ago for my wedding anniversary. The wife and I want to go back as it is one of our favourite places.

• Options
    What's the matter with you lot? Greenwich, East Greenwich, Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Charlton, Woolwich, Eltham, Sidcup, Welling, Plumstead, Erith, Slade Green, Bexleyheath, Bexley, Crayford, Dartford and the whole of Kent.
  • Options
    You missed Catford Dave.
  • Options

Grimsby .. the jewel on the east coast

That's a bit fishy, that! ;-)
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Totnes, moved down here 10 years ago to study and have never left

I know the attraction - I boarded at Dartington Hall School (a couple of miles outside the town) in the early 1970s. Some of my schoolfriends have never left the area.

• Options

The history books say that Herefordshire was bypassed by the Industrial revolution and I think that is reflected in it's towns. Hereford itself is generally ugly but as friendly and as laid back in attitude as the smaller towns. My town Leominster has it's fair share of social problems...Heroin, Pikeys, huge unemployment etc, but none of these factors are evident in everyday life and genarally everyone gets on and supports one another...in fact, if I won Euromillions (I don't bet btw) I doubt if I'd live anywhere else, with the exception of Church Stretton, Shropshire.

So come on then, what's your best town?

I have friends just up the road from you in beautiful Ludlow, and have visited and stayed there several times. It's a hill-top town with a castle, fine old architecture and proper shops. And not much farther north, Shrewsbury, on the River Severn, is bigger, just as interesting, and with a vibrant feel about the place.

• Options

Stamford in Lincolnshire is a beautiful town.

It certainly is, built of warm golden limestone. Frequently used as a location for TV costume dramas. And what impressed me most was that it's not a museum or dead with too many antique shops - it's a busy, vibrant place with folk going about their daily business. Take your girlfriend (wife or lover) for afternoon tea in the chintz sitting-room of the George Hotel.

• Options

Bradford on Avon nr Bath.

Bradford-on-Avon and Bath. Both lovely. May I have a house in each, please?