Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's Ultimate "Best Towns"

Comments

• Options
    Yet another vote for Greenwich, from me, having lived there on-and-off for almost 50 years. Also in the South-East: Faversham, far more architecturally interesting than its neighbour Whitstable - Abbey Street has about 500 years of history packed in to a few hundred yards. And I'm surprised Lewes hasn't had a mention yet: good topography (on a ridge topped by a castle), beautiful buildings in brick and tile, old streets and alleys known locally as twittens. Ah, and Harvey's brewery....
  • Options

Stamford in Lincolnshire is a beautiful town.

It certainly is, built of warm golden limestone. Frequently used as a location for TV costume dramas. And what impressed me most was that it's not a museum or dead with too many antique shops - it's a busy, vibrant place with folk going about their daily business. Take your girlfriend (wife or lover) for afternoon tea in the chintz sitting-room of the George Hotel.

Is that the town that had something to do with an fat bloke that ran it? owned it? lived in it? back in the day? I'm googling.... I think I've been there and went to a lovely pub.
  • Options

It certainly is, built of warm golden limestone. Frequently used as a location for TV costume dramas. And what impressed me most was that it's not a museum or dead with too many antique shops - it's a busy, vibrant place with folk going about their daily business. Take your girlfriend (wife or lover) for afternoon tea in the chintz sitting-room of the George Hotel.

Is that the town that had something to do with an fat bloke that ran it? owned it? lived in it? back in the day? I'm googling.... I think I've been there and went to a lovely pub.
    Didn't the tallest man in Britain live in Stamford, in the 19th century? Is he who you mean? I'll do some Googling, too!

• Options
    Would still have to say Brighton/Hove. Although not as great as it used to be (both scumminess and poncyness have got worse), it's still a great place with a good cross-section of people... And the women are bloody gorgeous!
  • Options
    I love Norwich.......................
  • Options

I think you've got it, Suzi. From the website of the George Hotel, Stamford: "In the entrance hall there is a portrait of Daniel Lambert, certainly the hotel's biggest customer ... At the time of his death in 1809, at the age of 39, he weighed 52-stone and 11-pounds. His height was 5-feet 11-inches, and he measured 3-yards 4-inches around the body and 1-yard 1-inch around the thigh..." And we thought Peter Garland had problems!

• Options
    A few suspect "Towns" on the list. Dictionary says:

a built-up area with a name, defined boundaries, and local government, that is larger than a village and generally smaller than a city.

Rye and Mousehole for me but Farnham if it must be kicking distance from London.
  • Options

Canterbury

I live there and cannot wait to move back to Whitstable - much nicer place to live.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Another vote for Stamford please. Largely unchanged since the early1800s. Industrial revolution passed it by and as a result so did the German bombers. Even most of the modern shop fronts are done with subtlety.
  • Options

Another vote for Stamford please. Largely unchanged since the early1800s. Industrial revolution passed it by and as a result so did the German bombers. Even most of the modern shop fronts are done with subtlety.

For what it's worth, The Sunday Times earlier this year declared Stamford "the best place to live in Britain". Other gorgeously beautiful towns can be a bit smug, or a bit dead, but one of the many things that impressed me about this place is that the residents just get on with their daily lives.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenwich.
    Edinburgh
    Barcelona
    Mandurah
  • Options
    This is our local town. Worth a visit if you ever find yourself down this way.

http://www.uzerche.fr
  • Options
    Some great places here, I'd love to know how many of those posted are actually considered places you would move to ?

A nicer area is one thing, balancing up the impacts (friends, family, job, social activities) etc is completely another thing. I'd love to live somewhere like Dorset, IoW etc, however I can see zero possibility of that ever happening as the nice area doesn't outweigh the other impacts in my personal case.
  • Options

Some great places here, I'd love to know how many of those posted are actually considered places you would move to ?

A nicer area is one thing, balancing up the impacts (friends, family, job, social activities) etc is completely another thing. I'd love to live somewhere like Dorset, IoW etc, however I can see zero possibility of that ever happening as the nice area doesn't outweigh the other impacts in my personal case.

Anywhere that makes the list which is genuinely commutable to/from London (ideally within 60-90mins door-to-door) are probably key for the majority of people on this site, and for a significant portion of the general population too (given the jobs market is so much more buoyant).

Explains why anywhere on the list that is indeed commutable is so darned expensive!
  • Options
    my big plan for when I get to 55 is to have a place in Dorset and a home in London
  • Options
    Must be a decent police pension.
  • Options
    proceeds of crime my man

crime pays for all if you do it right
  • Options
    Monterrey, California
  • Options

Terrific observation. Over the past two years I have visited and really liked, Port Douglas, Cairns, London, barcelona, Melbourne and Sydney. The only place I would set up home is Sydney. Some places, though, are still terrific Towns to visit, or even do some short term work at.

• Options

Terrific observation. Over the past two years I have visited and really liked, Port Douglas, Cairns, London, barcelona, Melbourne and Sydney. The only place I would set up home is Sydney. Some places, though, are still terrific Towns to visit, or even do some short term work at.

Now Sydney is somewhere I could easily live, lovely city (well the bits we went to were) though like all large cities it does have some iffy areas, mainly those in the western suburbs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now Sydney is somewhere I could easily live, lovely city (well the bits we went to were) though like all large cities it does have some iffy areas, mainly those in the western suburbs.
    Though why would you want to live somewhere that has more rain than Manchester? (And more Aussies than London.)
  • Options
    The residents of a few of the places mentioned here would be most upset to be thought of as living in a town. Perhaps we need a favourite village thread?
    Having just got back from the Bournemouth game, my vote goes to Christchurch were we stayed. Although it most certainly is the Chocolate Labrador capital of the world - I got the impression you can't live there without owning one.
    Someone mentioned Bath - wouldn't want to live there - the traffic is horrendous and the bits outside the touristy areas are actually pretty grim.
  • Options
    Was there in December, no rain for the week we were there, as for the Aussies I found the ones we met were fine. Basically we lived in Singapore for 18 months and at the end of that stint we were hoping to go and live (for just six months) in Sydney, unfortunately an Aussie in London wanted the same position as my wife, and at the time it was RBS policy to repatriate an employer if he/she wanted to go home....hence we missed out on what would have been a good 'trip'....especially for me as I wouldn't have been working, and a summer in Sydney sounded alot more appealling then winter in London.
  • Options

Was there in December, no rain for the week we were there, as for the Aussies I found the ones we met were fine. Basically we lived in Singapore for 18 months and at the end of that stint we were hoping to go and live (for just six months) in Sydney, unfortunately an Aussie in London wanted the same position as my wife, and at the time it was RBS policy to repatriate an employer if he/she wanted to go home....hence we missed out on what would have been a good 'trip'....especially for me as I wouldn't have been working, and a summer in Sydney sounded alot more appealling then winter in London.

True, but my mate lives there and says the weather has been really wet over the last couple of years.
    Here's the averages: Greenwich 22" rain per annum (spread fairly evenly) with 109 wet days per year. Sydney 48" rain (slightly less in their winter months) with 148 wet days per year. I concede that it is a bit warmer and sunnier in Sydney though!
  • Options
    Shoreham Kent
  • Options
    Blackheath, Newcastle and St Andrews
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

True, but my mate lives there and says the weather has been really wet over the last couple of years.
    Here's the averages: Greenwich 22" rain per annum (spread fairly evenly) with 109 wet days per year. Sydney 48" rain (slightly less in their winter months) with 148 wet days per year. I concede that it is a bit warmer and sunnier in Sydney though!
    Yes, but measuring it by sheer volume of rain can be very misleading.

As other Aussie-based expats will know when it rains here it really RAINS properly, none of your Manchester drizzle but proper tropical storms caused by very high summer temperatures.

So, over a week period you can get a huge amount of rain but then it might not rain again for several weeks, maybe even a couple of months.
  • Options
    We lived in Newbury in West Berkshire for three years, and absolutely loved it.

Proper little market town, surrounded by some stunning walks and surrounding countryside with some good pubs and restaurants etc.

Also only 45 mins into Paddington on a good day (although admittedly these were few and far between, and after one heavy London Adland lunchtime session I did once wake up in Taunton of all places).

Also one of the great things about living there, was that you could be in the Cotswolds and Cheltenham etc, in less than an hour.

Only downside were the people and there were times, when you felt that you had wandered onto the set of 'The League of Gentlemen' - very strange folk indeed.
  • Options
    The really great thing about living in a small town is that it's self policing. If you get out of line here (Leominster) it's best to move out.
  • Options

The really great thing about living in a small town is that it's self policing. If you get out of line here (Leominster) it's best to move out.

Send the chaps round to have a word with the ne'erdowells do ya m_b?