Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Bale

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    A great player, but seemed to mentally switch off 2 or 3 years ago, when the Ronaldos and Zlatans have continued for years longer
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    "Could do a job for us at this level"

Cue a truly returning-Hasselbaink-level 12 months.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    From clueless left back (what was that stat at the beginning of his career at Spurs?) to world class player who carried Wales to qualify for tournaments that they wouldn't otherwiese have done so and probably won't do so in the foreseeable future especially with Aaron Ramsey's international career nearing a conclusion too - 189 caps and 61 goals between them whereas the whole of the rest of Wales WC squad have managed just 32 in total

• Options
    A bloody good footballer but not a great footballer!
  • Options
    Chris Gunter smiles... "I'll get my record back, precious"
  • Options
    Shame injuries cost him a bit, could have been even better but has still had a great career.

5 Champions Leagues, scoring 3 goals in finals .....
    Exactly.
    His best days are a few years ago and he didn't appear in the last CL final, but he played in 4 of them, scored 3 goals plus converted a shootout penalty. That is great.
  • Options
    33 is a young age to retire in the modern era

Plenty of ways to stay fit and sharp.

When you get older, you may lose capability of youthful rapid acceleration and fitness, but you get better at other stuff.

• Options
    From the outside Bale seemed to have lost interest in football a few years ago. Amazing player on his day but if I was a fan of the clubs he'd played for in recent years I'd be a bit miffed by how much he'd been paid to do so little. Can see him trying to go pro at golf
  • Options
    Didn't fancy a six month contract in League One?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    he has retired from all football with immediate effect.
    What a career he has had.
    Indeed. One of the best ever British players .... in terms of talent plus achievements then probably the best.
    Lol no he's not, how many trophies did he win and actually have a major contribution to winning them? He's not on the level of many players England have had over the years, and certainly not better than people like Dalgleish, George Best and others over the years. 
    If he was English he'd have been pushing 100 caps and 30-40 goals which would've put him among the very best to play for us. Best ever is a bit far, but among the best of his generation no question.

In terms of moments that won trophies, I would argue quite a few in his time at Real Madrid. Distinct memorable moments in Copa del Rey and the Champions League finals especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVrolNQ4RU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfhFW18uhBE
  • Options
    From the outside Bale seemed to have lost interest in football a few years ago. Amazing player on his day but if I was a fan of the clubs he'd played for in recent years I'd be a bit miffed by how much he'd been paid to do so little. Can see him trying to go pro at golf
    I might be completely making this up but didn't Bowyer try pro golf?

Before the fishing lake.
  • Options
    I reckon he missed living in Madrid and wanted to move back here to retire 😃
  • Options
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Indeed. One of the best ever British players .... in terms of talent plus achievements then probably the best.
    There's been 6 British winners of the balloon d'or, for a start.

He's had a fantastic career but not convinced on the above.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Lol no he's not, how many trophies did he win and actually have a major contribution to winning them? He's not on the level of many players England have had over the years, and certainly not better than people like Dalgleish, George Best and others over the years. 
    If he was English he'd have been pushing 100 caps and 30-40 goals which would've put him among the very best to play for us. Best ever is a bit far, but among the best of his generation no question.

In terms of moments that won trophies, I would argue quite a few in his time at Real Madrid. Distinct memorable moments in Copa del Rey and the Champions League finals especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVrolNQ4RU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfhFW18uhBE
    If Messi was English Bale wouldn't have got a game. It's irrelevant anyway as he's very much Welsh. He was a great player, at times world class, but "Best British player ever"? Have a laugh.
  • Options
    Cant forgive the Top Knot, you never saw Bobby Charlton with one of them.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    In fairness he did say 'one of' not 'the' best. There have been thousands of British footballers and i'd say Bale in his prime has a case for being in the top 20-25. That would be classed as one of the best no? 

PFA player of the year twice, 7 years at Real Madrid (hard to count the last 2), 16 trophies at Madrid including 5 Champions leagues, that must have him up there somewhere. His goal against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final is iconic, his overhead kick in the CL final was incredible, i remember even Zidane not being able to believe what he'd seen.

Even when past it and he came back to Spurs he still scored 1 in 2 in the league. His last year at Spurs before joining Madrid he was absolutely ridiculous and i feel if he was English he'd be lauded a lot more.
  • Options
    At his peak he was definitely one of the best. Of course he could do a job for us and any lower league team but I suppose he doesn't need the money and recent years have suggested he no longer loves the game. It feels like that anyway.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Cant forgive the Top Knot, you never saw Bobby Charlton with one of them.
    Can't forgive the Bobby Charlton combover  ;)
  • Options
    Up there with Hoddle, Gazza, Modric, Klinsmann & Kane as the best I've seen in the flesh at Spurs.
    Will never forget the second half against Inter at the San Siro (when we were 4-0 after Gomes got sent off) and the return fixture 2 weeks later when Bale literally ended Maicon's career.
    Arguably at his very best under Andre Villas-Boas in his last season when he scored 22 in 33 games or something ridiculous like that when he played as an inverted winger.