Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give the kids a chance.

Just got back from the ebbsfleet friendly and have to say our so called fringe players were a disgrace today. That includes wilson, cort, green and as for the 2 trialists what a waste of time both church and mcgurk were. The second half introduction of muldoon, piggott and a left back of which im afraid i dont know his name at least showed some passion to try and get us back in the game. The only 2 pro,s that came out with any credit were hollands and wood. I would rather see the kids running there heart out than someone there just to pick up a wage every week.

Comments

• good post
  • You say that now but I reckon you might change your mind after three or four weeks of getting smashed 4/5-0 every game.
  • Think it shows that you don't have to scratch through the veneer of our best twelve or thirteen players to see the fragility of the squad. Until our batch of youngsters get another year or so under their belts I can't see that changing any time soon. I think it would be foolish to force through any of our talented under 21's because it would on the whole do them more harm than good. We must just ride out the current shitstorm in our boardroom until the sun starts shining again.
  • I would rather have our chite losing than the endless stream of loaned chite losing as we've had in the past (notably under Parkinson).
  • Well under Powell, the so called endless stream of loaned chite hasn't lost, we've been very successful after Powell's first 6 months in charge. Let's give the lads a chance when the proper stuff starts in 6 days time.
  • posted this is in another thread...

Clem_Snide said:
    Pigott is not ready for the Championship. I believe Conference South is the highest competitive level he has played at.

If we get someone in he needs to go out on loan till Xmas to league one or two.

no offence CS -this is not aimed directly at you- but Im getting quite weary of reading comments similar to yours like this every time the U 21's squad get a bit of time on the pitch and again deliver better quality football than the current supposed balance of the 1st team.

For the record -and again this isn't aimed at Clem- today's game against Ebbsfleet was always scheduled as a CAFC X1 game, then midweek it was re-assigned for the 1st team squad to ensure any players in the 1st team, who didn't get a full run out in yesterday's unfortunate lost game were able to get more pre-season minutes under their belt before the start of the season. To say the 1st half was underwhelming is an understatement and Ebbsfleet thoroughly deserved to be 2-0 up at half time, and the start of the 2nd half was not much better, it was only when the mass substitutions were made did the game change pace, gear and quality of football in Charlton's favour and within minutes we were putting Ebbslfeet under pressure with at least 2 or 3 well worked attacks resulting in an early shot just off target, a goal forma well worked corner taken by Muldoon nad finished well by Woods and at least 2 or 3 further chances - more than we saw in the entire preceding 65 minutes plus we then pretty well managed Ebbsfleet for the rest of the game....

At some stage we have to accept the quality of players in our U21's squad is possibly better than what we currently have in our 1st team and give them a chance...other players in bigger clubs than Charlton have started their 1st team careers at much younger ages than 18/19/20 and they weren't patronisingly called 'The Kids, youngster etc"

In my opinion Church made not-a-lot of his chances today and Piggott is way in front of him and also Mc Gurke looked average as did Jack Paxman, nothing for Callum Harriott nor Bradley Jordan or Muldoon to worry about as they are far more accomplished players.
    As for Munns - ex Spurs academy player- and yes, challenged in stature I give you that, but very composed on the ball in midfield and was not bossed off the ball... maybe with a player of his ability in middle of the park we would see less hoof it up benny football and more along the floor as we witnessed in the last 20 minutes Reality check, how tall is Lionel Messi and he ain't to shabby!

The back 4 of Osborne Feely Lennon and Fox were assured, there was good link up play with the midfield of Poyet, Muldoon, Munns made himself busy all over the midfield and Fox and Osborne provided decent wing outlets further up the pitch and Piggot was in or around the box to collect and either distribute or have a shot at goal.

....Can we please wake up and smell the coffee
  • We flirted with relegation last season and I doubt that at this point in his career Pigott can give us anything that Fuller or Haynes didn't. Pigott and Cousins need cameos to help them to the next level of their careers not being thrust into a team with the expectation and pressure of 18k fans on the shoulders.
  • piggot is ready now I don't doubt that from what I have seen I aint trying to say he is a championship hot shot

but he is better than church, mcgurk etc so if that's where we are looking stop and just play the lad
  • As much as I'd like to agree with the sentiment, I don't think having more than 2 or 3 'youngsters' involved on match day is a good idea. Too much pressure when the going gets tough could ruin a kids confidence before they even get going.

I feel for trialists. Must be hard for them to come into an unknown squad, knowing you only have a week and one game to impress. Anyone that's played football knows that sometimes a game just doesn't go your way and you don't see much of the ball etc, and in church and Mcgurks case that could be the difference between getting a years work or not.

I trust CP, who sees them in training every day, in that he wouldn't sign anyone that wasn't good enough or didnt wanna be there. I actually think he has confidence in the younger players to step up, but each one will take time and he can't rush them all in at once.
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as I'd like to agree with the sentiment, I don't think having more than 2 or 3 'youngsters' involved on match day is a good idea. Too much pressure when the going gets tough could ruin a kids confidence before they even get going.

I feel for trialists. Must be hard for them to come into an unknown squad, knowing you only have a week and one game to impress. Anyone that's played football knows that sometimes a game just doesn't go your way and you don't see much of the ball etc, and in church and Mcgurks case that could be the difference between getting a years work or not.

I trust CP, who sees them in training every day, in that he wouldn't sign anyone that wasn't good enough or didnt wanna be there. I actually think he has confidence in the younger players to step up, but each one will take time and he can't rush them all in at once.

I too trust SCP and a few weeks ago he didn't have any of these kids anywhere near the first team squad - how have they suddenly become ready in the few weeks since the end of last season ?
  • Please stop with 'the Kids', they're young men plying their trade, earning a living, driving cars and actually responsible young adults...not Kids, or does this all make you a 'bunch of past it, old farts' ? :):)
  • se9addick said:

As much as I'd like to agree with the sentiment, I don't think having more than 2 or 3 'youngsters' involved on match day is a good idea. Too much pressure when the going gets tough could ruin a kids confidence before they even get going.

I too trust SCP and a few weeks ago he didn't have any of these kids anywhere near the first team squad - how have they suddenly become ready in the few weeks since the end of last season ?
    Probably the same way Harriott and Jenkinson did. If they're ready they're ready and it's down to Powell to decide. One thing is for sure though, you can never tell how quickly a player is going to develop into a first team contender. It can be pretty sudden. I don't think any of us predicted Harriott would become one of our key players and Jenkinson would be playing Champions League football a few months after making his L1 debut
  • I've said before I think as a club we've been a bit too cautious in giving young players a chance. The better players will always break through, but sometimes others might just need an opportunity.

Wagstaff and Basey did a job in League One for us, others like Mambo may also have done given a run of games (he did well at that level for Shrewsbury last season).

Many of them have had a year at U21 level and some have also gone out on loan. That group are coming up to 20 - easy to forget but at the same age Evina was our cover for Wiggins.

They won't all be ready yet and they won't all make it, but if we were a little less cautious we could probably develop a few into decent Championship players. There are other Championship clubs seem able to.

• se9addick said:

As much as I'd like to agree with the sentiment, I don't think having more than 2 or 3 'youngsters' involved on match day is a good idea. Too much pressure when the going gets tough could ruin a kids confidence before they even get going.

Probably the same way Harriott and Jenkinson did. If they're ready they're ready and it's down to Powell to decide. One thing is for sure though, you can never tell how quickly a player is going to develop into a first team contender. It can be pretty sudden. I don't think any of us predicted Harriott would become one of our key players and Jenkinson would be playing Champions League football a few months after making his L1 debut
    Just because they have not been seen in the '1st team' until recently, don't assume they haven't been around ready and waiting for their chance in the background for a long while, they just haven't been featured until now, maybe times are a changing !
  • madadd said:

se9addick said:

Just because they have not been seen in the '1st team' until recently, don't assume they haven't been around ready and waiting for their chance in the background for a long while, they just haven't been featured until now, maybe times are a changing !
    Yes of course but do you think entirely it's entirely coincidental that they are "ready" now we have no other options when seven weeks ago they were no where near the squad when we had other options ?

Lets be clear - throwing in youngsters who aren't ready will be detrimental to them and to us. I'm not saying we can't start to blood some of them, but they shouldn't form a core part of our squad.
  • Pigott is 20 in December, Smith is 22 in a couple of months. They're hardly 16 year old kids.

If they're good enough, they're old enough.
  • Pigott is 20 in December, Smith is 22 in a couple of months. They're hardly 16 year old kids.

this

This !

With knobs on.

this
    I'm all for bringing the kids through but you can't throw say three in all at the same time, you can't expect them to show consistency from the off and you certainly can't play them week in and week out. I think that if Piggott makes ten appearances this season then he'd have done well. Likewise any others. Ideally they could do with a loan at League One clubs until Xmas and then we can see how they have done. Harriott some forget didn't appear in the first team until after Xmas and that after making his debut two seasons before that. You can't rush them and CP will know when they re ready. I'm not sure that he thinks they are ready yet.

• Sponsored links:

Technically they may be good enough, but tactically they may be some way off. Kids playing against a Conference South side might look good, but play them against seasoned champ players and they might look very different.

Some may be worth the risk though- eg Will Hughes at Derby who seems to know where to be on the pitch, as well as be able to technically do the business with the ball.

As said above, you've just got to trust Powell.
  • I believe the children are our future...
  • LoOkOuT said:

I believe the children are our future...

Teach them well and let them lead the way
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside
    Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
    Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody's searching for a hero
    People need someone to look up to
    I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs
    A lonely place to be
    And so I learned to depend on me

[Chorus:]
    I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
    If I fail, if I succeed
    At least I'll live as I believe
    No matter what they take from me
    They can't take away my dignity
    Because the greatest love of all
    Is happening to me
    I found the greatest love of all
    Inside of me
    The greatest love of all
    Is easy to achieve
    Learning to love yourself
    It is the greatest love of all

I believe the children are our future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside
    Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
    Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

[Chorus]

And if, by chance, that special place
    That you've been dreaming of
    Leads you to a lonely place
    Find your strength in love
  • but they aint kids are they

jonjo, solly, konch, etc were at 16 but we are talking a 19 yr who is 5 months off 20 and a 22 yr old

Technically they may be good enough, but tactically they may be some way off. Kids playing against a Conference South side might look good, but play them against seasoned champ players and they might look very different.

Some may be worth the risk though- eg Will Hughes at Derby who seems to know where to be on the pitch, as well as be able to technically do the business with the ball.

As said above, you've just got to trust Powell.
    Ahh good, I've been waiting for someone to throw the Conference South v Championship side argument into the mix and basically there is no argument, forget the U21's for a moment, what you saw yesterday for the first 60 mins was our 1st team current balance of players not holding their own against a conference south side, so how the hell do you think they are going to improve become technically better against a championship side. in the last 20 mins tyou basically saw the U21's turn the game around and play technically better football and they are capable of playing above that level in my opinion.

A lot of you really do have to lose this blinkered 'youngsters' viewpoint, like life the beautiful game is evolving very quickly and 1st team players are getting younger and the game quicker and we are not talking 16 17 year olds here, (although, we've got plenty of quality talent coming through at that age as well) these lads, young men are mostly near enough turning 20 or going on 21, plenty old enough for the 1st team.
  • I have no idea if the kids are ready, but i dont think we have any choice. Its the kids or the near dead that no one else wants------ Division 1 cast offs----------i would rather take a chance on kids than spend on the players one step from being enbalmed
  • I have no idea if the kids are ready, but i dont think we have any choice. Its the kids or the near dead that no one else wants------ Division 1 cast offs----------i would rather take a chance on kids than spend on the players one step from being enbalmed

this again

• So which of the "kids" are ready and how much of a role should they play ?
  • edited July 2013
    Imo Piggot is ready, Smith I don't think is (although I don't think he is good enough) as is fox, I would even put Muldoon on the bench, then you have cousins much touted by many prem clubs who could be a risk
  • Must admit I haven't seen any of the young crop of fringe players in action but some on here whose opinions I've come to respect say one or two are ready so. . . . . . when we're on the bones of our arse surely we, or rather SCP, should take the plunge with one or two. I'm not sure what age some on here believe is the right time to start playing our 'youngsters' but in our circumstances sometimes you've got no choice but to let fortune try and favour the brave.