Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth friendly confirmed as 'pay what you like'

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-v-Charlton-Pay-What-You-Like-4419.aspx

Pompey are delighted to announce that the pre-season friendly against Charlton on Saturday, July 20 will be a ‘pay what you like’ game.

Fans will pay a minimum of £1 to watch the Fratton fixture – which kicks-off at 3pm – but can donate whatever they want above that sum to watch the new-look Blues take on Championship opposition.

Please note that supporters paying by credit/debit card can only pay £1 or increments of £5 (£5, £10, £15, etc).

With Fans Day fun and the launch of our historic new away strip also planned for the same day, it’s sure to be an occasion no fan will want to miss.

Pompey engagement manager Micah Hall: “The idea has been incredibly well received with many fans saying they will pay £10 or £15 – that is far more than we were planning to charge.

“The idea actually came from within the existing team, with Tom Clark and Steve Jones creating and promoting it.

“It just goes to show the talent and creativity that was already here and now that people have the licence to innovate, they have seized the initiative to drive the club forward.”

Pompey CEO Mark Catlin said: “We can’t thank Charlton enough for their help in organising this friendly. They have been absolutely brilliant.

“They have been through their own struggle to rebuild the club after having to leave The Valley for so long and they recognise what we have been through to reclaim our club for the fans.

“We really hope that all Pompey fans will want to come down for Fans Day and have a great time at the friendly.”

More information about when tickets go on sale will be released in due course.

Comments

• Options
    Well i'm certainly there.
  • Options
    RZA said:

So, come on, what will you pay?
  • Options
    don't let Steve Jones hold the gate money..;o)
  • Options
    I'll pay a quid, nothing more. Will make up for times I've had to sit/stand in the rain with no roof on my head paying some ridiculous amount so they could pay some knob 55k pw.
  • Options

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-v-Charlton-Pay-What-You-Like-4419.aspx

With Fans Day fun and the launch of our historic new away strip also planned for the same day,

Pompey engagement manager Micah Hall: “
    “The idea actually came from within the existing team,

It just goes to show the talent and creativity that was already here and now that people have the licence to innovate, they have seized the initiative to drive the club forward.”

“They have been through their own struggle to rebuild the club after having to leave The Valley for so long and they recognise what we have been through to reclaim our club for the fans.

Mr Bradshaw, Mr Prothero. Mr Slater; We know you read CL but do you ever take any of it in?
  • Options

I'll pay a quid, nothing more. Will make up for times I've had to sit/stand in the rain with no roof on my head paying some ridiculous amount so they could pay some knob 55k pw.

Thats the spirit.
  • Options

RZA said:

So, come on, what will you pay?
    £1.01, at least it's more than minimum.
  • Options

Hope this is a joke.

• Options
    I can see us taking thousands down for this.
  • Options

I can't. England v Australia Saturday of The Lords Test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Depends on the train fare. Can I pay what I like?

• Options

Hope this is a joke.

why? In my opinion they are lucky to still be in existance having shafted local traders more than once whilst paying players wages of 55k plus pw. Their fans didn't moan then while they were larging it in the PL and whilst paying these large amounts and running up debts and shafting all and sundry away fans were paying a small fortune to sit in an antiquated 'stand' with no roof. Sorry if I don't have much sympathy with them. I don't think their situation compares to ours at all. I hope it works out for them this time round but it will take more than this to convince me.

• Options
    I got train 9.90 return from Victoria so will happily pay fiver for the game. Should be good fun
  • Options

Hope this is a joke.

why? In my opinion they are lucky to still be in existance having shafted local traders more than once whilst paying players wages of 55k plus pw. Their fans didn't moan then while they were larging it in the PL and whilst paying these large amounts and running up debts and shafting all and sundry away fans were paying a small fortune to sit in an antiquated 'stand' with no roof. Sorry if I don't have much sympathy with them. I don't think their situation compares to ours at all. I hope it works out for them this time round but it will take more than this to convince me.

If you feel that way then why bother going at all?

Portsmouth has been badly run in the recent past - but the fans are now in charge and are trying to do things differently and dare I say it properly.

I recall the first match back at the Valley where bar a very small number of tickets Portsmouth handed most of their entitlement back to CAFC so that more of our fans could attend the first game back. Their fans could have kicked up a fuss at the time - but chose not to. Perhaps this is our opportunity to help them?
  • Options
    I hate Millwall and Palarse. Doesn't stop me going to support my team. Sorry if I have a different opinion but there you go.
  • Options
    Great idea from those at the top they know the affection for pompy from the fans will prove to be priceless.
  • Options
    If I can make it down I'll pay a tenner, quite like pompy
  • Options

Hope this is a joke.

I'm with Large on this. I won't be going to this, but if I was, a nicker is all they'd get from me...................
  • Options

Hope this is a joke.

Here's what you had to say about the signing of Mark Gower:

"can't say the signing of Gower is the mark of a Club with that much ambition, in my opinion"

So when a club signs a player who isn't likely to be a world beater but falls within a budget you complain about a lack of ambition...and yet when when clubs splash the money about you complain that they are "larging it".

• Options

Odd comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit harsh, Large. Didnt hear the Portsmouth fans in 1992 going round saying "those Charlton fans giving it the biggun when they signed Alan Simonsen, they can sod off"

And recently on here when then issue of administration and the non payment of small creditors was discussed, there were more than few people whose attitude was "yawn, everyone does it".

I won't be in the country, but I'd pay a decent amount to any supporter-owned club that does this.
  • Options
    This could be a good day out.

How far is ground from station ? Have only driven before.
  • Options
    I'm with Large on this. After defaulting on so many debts and taking handouts from the local authorities to get out of their latest trouble, expecting their own fans to pay over the odds for a friendly is one thing. Expecting fans of other teams to pay more than they need to to boost their coffers is outrageous.

I might go and only pay £1 just to get some payback on the millions of pounds that Portsmouth defaulted the Tax Payer out of.
  • Options
    Shall I pay 20 ?

Shall I pay 50 ?

This is simply too big a decision for me to make so I'm just going to copy what Nathan pays.
  • Options
    I'll pay a tenner, think that's fair for a friendly. That or a load of change from any bars beforehand.
  • Options
    Have we decided to forfeit the undoubtedly massive fee we charge to turn up to friendlies ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Have we decided to forfeit the undoubtedly massive fee we charge to turn up to friendlies ?

not exactly, Pompey get to pay what they like.

• Options
    PL54 said:

This could be a good day out.

How far is ground from station ? Have only driven before.

Fratton station is a walk away. If you go into Portsmouth, you'll have to train/cab it back to Fratton.

Portsmouth isn't great & there isn't much at Fratton.
  • Options

Shall I pay 20 ?

Shall I pay 50 ?

This is simply too big a decision for me to make so I'm just going to copy what Nathan pays.

He won't be able to make it, he's playing in a poker tournie in Vegas that weekend.