Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley is amazing...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Is that Winston Churchill in the uniform?
  • Options
    What an astonishing old photo! What's the story behind it?
  • Options
    War time game.

He was the ARP warden, whose job was to scan the skies for enemy aircraft.

• Options

What an astonishing old photo! What's the story behind it?

Was that vs Millwall c. 1977?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

War time game.

I think thats Redmidland............ ;)

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Oggy Red said:

War time game.

I think thats Redmidland............ ;)

Bang on, TCE ......... his job now is to scan the skies for the ball, when Cort hoofs a clearance.

• Options
    Thanks for the link, Henry - the book looks fascinating.
  • Options

Thanks for the link, Henry - the book looks fascinating.

Viewfinder you will not be disappointed it is written in an almost old fashoned easy to read style. Full of facts-it lists every player ( includeing guests ) plus their appearances for every league club between 1939-45 and wartime cup & internationals . The spotter photo was taken in December 1940. It will probably come as no surprise that in the book there is an acknowledgement to Colin Cameron for his help with imformation.
  • Options
    If you think it is really amazing then perhaps you might want to support this:

castrust.org/valleyacv/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013

Noticed this, I too had not appreciated how far back it used to go the steps at far right I assume are the same ones there today. I guess the rake is different today, but what level does the East Stand now stop just over half way or 2/3? Not forgetting there is still a 'tier' above the ground level in the current stand. What was the official capacity of the ET?
  • Options
    Sneaked in many a time along by the hedge.
  • Options
    Oddly enough, to my eye the east terrace in that photo looks far less impressive than in certain other pics or as I remember it. Two reasons, I think: the elevated vantage point, and the vans at the top that give a sense of scale. Have another squint at the aerial view of Ninian Park, no. 1 on the current Guess the Ground thread. That must've been a real monster of a terrace!
  • Options
    Look at that! Is there a man in there not wearing a hat or cap?
  • Options
    razil said:

Noticed this, I too had not appreciated how far back it used to go the steps at far right I assume are the same ones there today. I guess the rake is different today, but what level does the East Stand now stop just over half way or 2/3? Not forgetting there is still a 'tier' above the ground level in the current stand. What was the official capacity of the ET?

That's an amazing photo - what year was it taken?
  • Options
    No idea I nicked it off an old thread
  • Options

Oddly enough, to my eye the east terrace in that photo looks far less impressive than in certain other pics or as I remember it. Two reasons, I think: the elevated vantage point, and the vans at the top that give a sense of scale. Have another squint at the aerial view of Ninian Park, no. 1 on the current Guess the Ground thread. That must've been a real monster of a terrace!

It seems to go back as high nearly as the road behind, go stand on Harvey Gardens entrance and gauge from there?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    razil said:

It seems to go back as high nearly as the road behind, go stand on Harvey Gardens entrance and gauge from there?

It's a feature of perspective - had the vantage point been at pitch level, the terrace would have looked even taller. Is it me, but are there all sorts of rises and dips on the horizontal plane? Maybe that sewer underneath really was about to cave in....

• Options
    It had got rather tatty by the time I started going. The dips were part of the charm, especially when legging it back and forward with away fans during and before the match...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013

My guess is that the picture dates from around 83-84.

It shows that time has indeed taken something of a toll, but when you think that the upper East and South were laid down in the mid-30s at least in part by the players, and probably given a minimum of maintenance in the ensuing half-century, Jimmy Seed's boys didn't do too badly, did they ? Whether they worked a) to build up fitness b) as preparation for a post-career trade or c) as the Glikstens' in-house cheap labour, who knows, but that great team did a wonderful job literally on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It's alright.

Would be so much better if it had blue seats and we moved the away fans though. Plus, what's all that crap music about when the teams come out. And that badge could do with "upgrading", same as the players.

• Options

My guess is that the picture dates from around 83-84.

It shows that time has indeed taken something of a toll, but when you think that the upper East and South were laid down in the mid-30s at least in part by the players, and probably given a minimum of maintenance in the ensuing half-century, Jimmy Seed's boys didn't do too badly, did they ? Whether they worked a) to build up fitness b) as preparation for a post-career trade or c) as the Glikstens' in-house cheap labour, who knows, but that great team did a wonderful job literally on and off the pitch.

Even Sam helped out