Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley is amazing...

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Off_it said:

DRF said:

It annoys me that you can't see the ground properly when going past on the train. I think the housing estate should be knocked down to give a better view.

I agree. I think we should also build a new station there just for the away fans, with a covered walkway/bridge directly into the North Upper where they will be housed.

And the station should be flush to the stand, with flushing toilets and a flushing roof.

Shouldn't cost too much.

We could re-name the ground Flushing Meadows.
    Now, now. I suspect you're just being silly for the sake of it and not giving my idea the due thought and attention it deserves.

Might make up several aliases and email the idea to the Fans Forum to raise at board level. My voice must be heard.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It seems a travesty to me that the stands have not been built as reversible. That way if we get the shit home form we had last season, the players, management and board of mysterons directors would be in no doubt of our displeasure, imagine the whole ground turning its back...

Although the actual people attending just standing up and turning 180 degrees would be cheaper of course.
  • Options
    It'd be great if it had wi-fi but I've heard it'd cost us the best part of £10m
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It's alright.

Would be so much better if it had blue seats and we moved the away fans though. Plus, what's all that crap music about when the teams come out. And that badge could do with "upgrading", same as the players.

Joke right? Are you a palace in disguise?
  • Options
    I've sat in the away end for the Charlton V Barnsley game, Packed Valley and we lost 1-0 but I have to say the acoustics are great but the part outside of the stand is not the nicest of places. I assume if they did move the away fans they would upgrade that section where you buy Food and Drink.
  • Options
    POSLCAFC said:

Off_it said:

It's alright.

Would be so much better if it had blue seats and we moved the away fans though. Plus, what's all that crap music about when the teams come out. And that badge could do with "upgrading", same as the players.

Joke right? Are you a palace in disguise?
    Over 15,000 posts , but now my cover is blown. Well done POSLCAFC.

COME ON YOU EAGLETS!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Off_it said:

DRF said:

It annoys me that you can't see the ground properly when going past on the train. I think the housing estate should be knocked down to give a better view.

I agree. I think we should also build a new station there just for the away fans, with a covered walkway/bridge directly into the North Upper where they will be housed.

And the station should be flush to the stand, with flushing toilets and a flushing roof.

Shouldn't cost too much.

We could re-name the ground Flushing Meadows.
    ... and relocate to the Dutch coast, where there's a town called Flushing.

• Options
    Personally I think the ground is tired.

Seats faded, paintwork flaking, can't get a drink or food, what drink or food there is is poor, pitch awful last season, stewarding often bad, away fans easily make all the noise, bearing in mind the close timescale of all the building work why don't the roofs line up ?

Sorry if that upsets.
  • Options

What annoys me is the NWQ roof isn't flush to the West Stand roof, an inexplicable error/design that just looks aesthetically terrible.

I've never thought about that before. Why on earth didn't they make them line up? Madness
  • Options
    A few years ago I won tickets to see Elton John at The Valley and it was during the afternoon and into the evening. At the end they out the flood lights on and as we'd been sitting in the middle of the pitch I got a feeling of what it must be like to play in front of a full-ish crowd. It was, genuinely, awe inspiring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez, you guys are making me change my mind about the Valley......
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

You stick to your guns Trev. It's ours and we love it - warts, non-flushes an' all.

• Options
    Off_it said:

CAFCTrev said:

You stick to your guns Trev. It's ours and we love it - warts, non-flushes an' all.

Youre damn right girlfriend....
  • Options
    I took my girlfriend there a few times last season and about a dozen the season before and she loves it. Always looks forward to the next home game. I've managed to convert her from Chelsea (well Frank Lampard anyway). I always thought a full Valley under lights was as good as any ground in the country. The roof does make it look a bit odd but I guess that's all part of the charm. And if we've got microphones in the roof of the north stand could someone get up there and switch them on please!!!
  • Options
    there's not enough leg room and when I press the button above my head, not one of those lazy stewards comes to my assistance.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Next "Back to the Valley" anniversary, we should include a compilation of some of the comments from this thread in the programme for it. Heres the spiel for commemorative programme feature:

"The addicks supporters did an amazing job getting the club back to our home; The Valley. Here are some comments on what The Valley means to them as we celebrate that historic day in December 1992:

Seats faded, paintwork flaking, can't get a drink or food, what drink or food there is is poor, pitch awful last season, stewarding often bad, away fans easily make all the noise

It annoys me that you can't see the ground properly when going past on the train.

It can be strangely lacking in atmosphere, even with a crowd of 19,000

what really makes it for me is wandering around the car park before a game and just admiring the pot holes

Comments courtesy of charlton life"
  • Options
    Truth hurts
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Next "Back to the Valley" anniversary, we should include a compilation of some of the comments from this thread in the programme for it. Heres the spiel for commemorative programme feature:

"The addicks supporters did an amazing job getting the club back to our home; The Valley. Here are some comments on what The Valley means to them as we celebrate that historic day in December 1992:

Seats faded, paintwork flaking, can't get a drink or food, what drink or food there is is poor, pitch awful last season, stewarding often bad, away fans easily make all the noise

It annoys me that you can't see the ground properly when going past on the train.

what really makes it for me is wandering around the car park before a game and just admiring the pot holes

Ha ha - so true - now you see how easy it is for comments to be taken out of context by the press and end up saying the complete opposite to what was meant. Sarcasm is easy to misrepresent.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Ha ha - so true - now you see how easy it is for comments to be taken out of context by the press and end up saying the complete opposite to what was meant. Sarcasm is easy to misrepresent.
    What makes you think I was being sarcastic?

• Options
    A full valley buzzes like no other place can. Like any ground that is bigger than it's crowds - it can suffer when there are too many empty seats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would like the east stand be twice its size and then I would be double happy. Was this the biggest terrace in England before its construction to seats?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

You have forgotten to make any reference to flushing Trev.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

CAFCTrev said:

You have forgotten to make any reference to flushing Trev.
    Good point!
  • Options
    I love the Valley, it is our home and even if it was shit, I am sure I'd still love it.

Quite simply because it's home.

The only change i'd make is to get in some south quadrants to allow bigger away followings to the Valley and over(lots of) time spin some extra cash for when we are battling for the champions league positions with a packed 34,000 seater....

and people Will still be making the comment "oh so they do have some fans then" whenever I confess my love of the Addicks!

#delusional
  • Options
    I was always just so comfortable at the Valley, I don;t mean the seats are padded, its just home... plain and simple... absolutely my favourite place on earth...
  • Options

sralan said:

Yup, the ground is ok, but what really makes it for me is wandering around the car park before a game and just admiring the pot holes. Think these are unique to The Valley. ;-)

Try Sparrows Lane, New Eltham. It's like riding your bike through Basra.

Wow, that's a glowing indictment of Sparrows Lane! I have driven round Basra, never had the bottle to push bike it though!! :-)

• Options

CAFCTrev said:

What makes you think I was being sarcastic?

Sorry VF, your original post was the only one I didn't take as sarcastic.
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

Who was that game against out of curiosity?

West Ham in Feb 2007
  • Options
    surely our ground is worthy of a shrine thread with all the best or favourite photos?

I love this old soldier one from another thread and here's my ameteurish effort on an iphone, love the visual of the name in the seats and cafc at each end, anyone got some really good versions?