Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    One for the pub connoisseurs amongst you. The Wrong Un Wetherspoons in Bexleyheath, has been taken off the market. An will remain open under Wetherspoons ownership.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

For better or worse?
    I'd not like to walk through the Broadway after closing time.

Just the look from an architectural viewpoint - I have no idea what it's like after dark, although when I was growing up in Woolwich/Plumstead, Bexleyheath was always seen as posh!
    I agree Bob we used to frequent the Jolly Draymen a lot and considered it a safe upmarket place
    Jolly Drayman - spent many a night in there, late 70's, early 80's - as did Paul Walsh, happy days.
  • Options
    The Ordnance also known as The Old Gunpit Woolwich has now closed down & is boarded up.

• Options
    clive said:
    The Ordnance also known as The Old Gunpit Woolwich has now closed down & is boarded up.

This photo almost makes the place look appealing. 😂😂
    Are they searchlights in the background?
  • Options
    My local - The Prince Frederick is up for sale. 
  • Options
    Is that the one tucked round the back of Bromley North?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    it’s just off of the Plaistow roundabout. The one with the Tesco on it. 
  • Options
    I'm near the royal oak in Bexleyheath, they cut their opening hours and seemed to cut BT/TNT sports aswell. Think it may only be a matter of time.
    Sad to hear. I lived around the corner from the Polly circa 20 years ago and went in there occasionally. Len was the licensee at the time; top, top man. Pub was immaculate and so was the garden. A really nice local.  Not many of these type of pubs left now in built up areas. 
    Little update went in there recently for the football and it does in fact have new owners, they also look to be expanding the beer garden. Very welcoming and had a nice pint of Morretti, will make an effort to go in more often. Only time will tell if changes will be enough to let it survive. They seemed to do really well during covid as it was got a younger crowd as everywhere else was shut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Planning permission to turn the upper floors (with an extra floor added) into "serviced hotel rooms" while keeping the pub below was given nearly two years ago - nobody objected so it pretty much whizzed through.

I doubt whatever replaces the old pub will have a Monday night karaoke...
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    What a place The Gunpit is (was). As some of you know I’m no pub snob but that one could never get me in the door.. I’d crack a joke with Ian saying come on let’s go in on our way home if I was a few drinks in and I’d almost get frogmarched past… just in case i wasn’t joking. No idea how it’s survived as long as it has. 
    I actually used to be a regular in there in the late nineties - a mate lived above it. It was rough and ready back then!
  • Options
    Do pubs have teeth?

I see you had a lay in today.
  • Options
    Do pubs have teeth?

I see you had a lay in today.
    Being up at 5 is better than up at 3.
    I'm getting there 👍 
  • Options
    clive said:

Walked past that place in a Charlton shirt a few times and would always get stares like daggers from the charming patrons drinking outside it. Horrible place. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Not surprised. They lost a lot of regulars to the crown. Was never that busy before anyway. Must face a really unsure future as I don’t see where it fits in now.
  • Options
    Used to enjoy the quiz night at the Fred although that is many years ago now.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Not surprised. They lost a lot of regulars to the crown. Was never that busy before anyway. Must face a really unsure future as I don’t see where it fits in now.
    No passing trade of course, footfall is virtually nil, a turning where you’d never go down……unless it was to go to The Fred that is.
    I only ever remember it as a ‘real locals’ pub and quite a pleasant gaff.
    Never understood why they didn’t somehow get a sign put up on the busy main road, only a hundred yards or so from  The Fred.
    Good parking…….if my memory serves me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd lived in Bromley for about 20 years unaware of it's existence until someone on CL mentioned it. 
  • Options
    edited June 23

iaitch said:
    Used to enjoy the quiz night at the Fred although that is many years ago now.
    Do you remember Dick (Dickie),and Sue Dyckoff….lovely folk and season ticket holder’s at The Valley for many a year. They were staunch 100% attendees of the quiz nights and Sunday lunchtimes too.
    I wonder if Sue still goes to The Fred and our home games, Dickie very sadly passed away a few years back, he was a very popular fella.
    The chapel was packed. 🙂‍↕️
  • Options
    Apparently the only pub in the UK called the prince Frederick too.
  • Options
    What was the name of the pub next the Richard I in Greenwich? (Not a quiz - I genuinely can't remember!)
  • Options
    What was the name of the pub next the Richard I in Greenwich? (Not a quiz - I genuinely can't remember!)
    Greenwich union. May have been the fox and something previously. 
  • Options
    Not far from Grove Park BR station
  • Options
    Greenwich union. May have been the fox and something previously. 
    It was called the Observatory before the Greenwich Union and the Fox and Hounds before that.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Thats got the Baring Hall opposite that is supposedly reopening at some point.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    You'd be better off going to Sundridge Park station.
  • Options
    The Greenwich Union was a Meantime brewery pub. 
    Asahi have announced they are closing the Meantime brewery in Greenwich and moving operations to Chiswick. 
    Death of another British beer at the hands of a multinational.