Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

@Starinnaddick have you seen the news above. I saw the landlord has put in on his FB page and on Twitter that he is going on that day.

We shall see. I'm saying nothing for now as he once tried to join this page to discuss @iainment post about the time he barred him and his partner.

I didn't know that. Still Arsenal fans shouldn't be allowed on here.

Will there be celebrations as he leaves?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

lolwray said:

A Lidl supermarket would ruin mottingham in my view

The current eye sore of a boarded up semi derelict pub isn’t really doing wonders for Mottingham.

Something needs to happen to it, and I don’t see a pub working there anymore, maybe a restaurant might.
    Brass house?
    Would be popular with the Harley Davidson clientele next door
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Not sure now @iainment . This is the Latest news from the Star landlord. Do you know anything about Dirty Liquor. @Vincenzo I fear I may be too old for them already! Just checked.. still part of Enterprise.

Message... I’ve been asked consistently what’s happening with the pub. To let people know what I know is this.

The pub will be closing down for a refurbishment when I leave.

The name of the company taking over is Dirty Liquor.

They have a few pubs already that you can check out online.

They look fantastic and it’s a very exciting development for the area.

I wish them all the luck in the world and urge you all to get behind them and support them.

Pubs are dying out in this country. And that’s a crying shame.

Pubs are an integral part of a community and we need to do what we can to stop them all being replaced by flats.

Dirty Liquor will breathe new life into The Star.

Get behind them.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

This is their pub in Deptford. The "Our Friends" shows their other premises.

http://www.theblackhorse-se8.com/

Cocktails, sourdough pizzas, young men with excessively large beards wearing red trousers, young women with deliberately unkempt hair wearing ill-fitting jeans from the 80's that do absolutely nothing for their figure. No dartboard, no pool table, "ironic" pile of boardgames in the corner such as Buckaroo, Guess Who, Battleships and Mastermind-the board game (which nobody knows how to play). Bar snacks include Marples Farm handmade sausage rolls made (£4.50 each) and Dartford Forest quail scotch eggs (£5). Et cetera.

Excuse me!!! As a child of the 70's I certainly know how. I had the standard and Deluxe versions.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Cocktails, sourdough pizzas, young men with excessively large beards wearing red trousers, young women with deliberately unkempt hair wearing ill-fitting jeans from the 80's that do absolutely nothing for their figure. No dartboard, no pool table, "ironic" pile of boardgames in the corner such as Buckaroo, Guess Who, Battleships and Mastermind-the board game (which nobody knows how to play). Bar snacks include Marples Farm handmade sausage rolls made (£4.50 each) and Dartford Forest quail scotch eggs (£5). Et cetera.

Shoreditch comes to Plumstead!
  • Options
    Christ! The Plumstead Commoners can’t cope with the cowboy beans on sourdough in The Pantry.. how will they cope with this?

Joint venture with Enterprise I see?

We’ve just rocked up in Buxton. Anyone got any tips for pubs? All get high ratings on TA.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Christ! The Plumstead Commoners can’t cope with the cowboy beans on sourdough in The Pantry.. how will they cope with this?

We’ve just rocked up in Buxton. Anyone got any tips for pubs? All get high ratings on TA.

Useless fact for you.

Back in 1975 when Derbyshire County Cricket Club were playing Lancashire SNOW stopped play in June!

That will either cement you as a potential pub bore or break the ice....
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    MrLargo said:

Football on the tv? Cycle parking?
  • Options
    iainment said:

MrLargo said:

Football on the tv? Cycle parking?
    No football. Skateboard lockers only.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought ray was the cockles fella?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Take a look at the highest rated pubs, if it's not too late (probably is).

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml?l=Buxton
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Take a look at the highest rated pubs, if it's not too late (probably is).

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml?l=Buxton
    Yes, much too late - B will be passed out by now... :-)
  • Options
    @Curb_It if you are still there tomorrow Buxton tap house has superb beers
  • Options
    On a stag do tomorrow, doing the Bermondsey beer mile, any breweries to recommend or avoid?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    MrLargo said:

But the key question is - is it still a Millwall pub?

edit: very unimpressed with their claim to be tucked away on the Evelyn "Road". Philistines!
    And the grocer's apostrophes on the drinks - it's like the person who did their website can't speak English
  • Options

@Curb_It if you are still there tomorrow Buxton tap house has superb beers

Found that one. Very nice.. will probably revisit tonight.

• Options
    @DA9 - beer mile will likely be packed but all the bars and tap rooms are good. They're all so close together that if you don't like one (or, if it's a nice day and everywhere is rammed and so they stop letting people in), then you can easily move on to the next... Fave's for me are probably BBN and eebria....Fourpure is my least favourite but it is big and so can cope with crowds (although it's a little way 'off' from the rest...couple of mins out of the way...)..and - to be honest - I can usually find at least one beer in there that I can drink... Cloudwater brewery is opening a tap room on the mile 'soon'...I can't wait for that.... Enjoy...and watch out for all the stag dos....oh :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Curb_It said:

Not sure now @iainment . This is the Latest news from the Star landlord. Do you know anything about Dirty Liquor. @Vincenzo I fear I may be too old for them already! Just checked.. still part of Enterprise.

Message... I’ve been asked consistently what’s happening with the pub. To let people know what I know is this.

The pub will be closing down for a refurbishment when I leave.

The name of the company taking over is Dirty Liquor.

They have a few pubs already that you can check out online.

They look fantastic and it’s a very exciting development for the area.

I wish them all the luck in the world and urge you all to get behind them and support them.

Pubs are dying out in this country. And that’s a crying shame.

Pubs are an integral part of a community and we need to do what we can to stop them all being replaced by flats.

Dirty Liquor will breathe new life into The Star.

Get behind them.

I don't know Dirty Liquor, no. Looks like they do pubs in partnership with other pubcos. No idea how that works.

Personally I like what they've done with the Black Horse, but others may have preferred it when it was a shitty Millwall boozer with fizzy lager.

People aren't obliged to buy cocktails. They do nice beer. And nice pizza. So I had a nice couple of pints, a good pizza and watched the football. Not sure what there is to moan about really. (Not that you are, Curb_it)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@DA9 - beer mile will likely be packed but all the bars and tap rooms are good. They're all so close together that if you don't like one (or, if it's a nice day and everywhere is rammed and so they stop letting people in), then you can easily move on to the next... Fave's for me are probably BBN and eebria....Fourpure is my least favourite but it is big and so can cope with crowds (although it's a little way 'off' from the rest...couple of mins out of the way...)..and - to be honest - I can usually find at least one beer in there that I can drink... Cloudwater brewery is opening a tap room on the mile 'soon'...I can't wait for that.... Enjoy...and watch out for all the stag dos....oh :-)

Thank you fella
  • Options
    DA9 said:

On a stag do tomorrow, doing the Bermondsey beer mile, any breweries to recommend or avoid?

Some decent beers available, enjoyed the food on maltby street, but f*** me, what a bunch of pretentious, beard oil using, skinny Jean wearing hipster f*** nuggets on display, never again.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Some decent beers available, enjoyed the food on maltby street, but f*** me, what a bunch of pretentious, beard oil using, skinny Jean wearing hipster f*** nuggets on display, never again.
    In our days it was Gilly’s & Samsons and try not to get a hiding.
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

The same and a bite to eat in South Sides at the end of the night.
  • Options
    Ended up in the Dartford Jug yesterday - that's a decent little place.
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Same, but was on the try and give some one a hiding side !
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Same, but was on the try and give some one a hiding side !
    Not really.
  • Options
    Four Fathoms in Herne Bay....Kent pub of the year and an excellent turnaround job by the owners.
  • Options
    Spoons. Like 'em or loathe 'em? It's usually one or the other. I'm not a fan, though I do appreciate the prices.

All 15 SE London Spoons ranked: https://deserter.co.uk/2018/10/all-se-londons-wetherspoons-ranked/
  • Options
    Is it called that because its 24 feet long?