Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WiFi at the Valley

Comments

• IMO it'd be useful but not really a necessity.

I agree with this. I'd use it at half time and post-match. But I'll survive without it.

• IMO it'd be useful but not really a necessity.

I agree with this. I'd use it at half time and post-match. But I'll survive without it.
    If you aren't that bothered why start a post and wind us old fogeys up in the first place, kids ehhh!
  • Halix said:

IMO it'd be useful but not really a necessity.

If you aren't that bothered why start a post and wind us old fogeys up in the first place, kids ehhh!
    The point is, as I pointed out in the first place, that I would find it useful and an improvement on the current situation and was interested to hear other views aswell as potential problems or tech issues. Some tech issues and/or solutions have been pointed out and it's clear is that some would use it, some wouldn't.
    What I still don't understand is, if you wouldn't use it, why get wound up over something that won't even affect you?
  • edited May 2013
    Maybe some people can't see the point of the club spending time and money on something that isn't really needed.

But if those that are desperate for it want to club together and pay for it themselves then I certainly don't have a problem with that.
  • Halix said:

IMO it'd be useful but not really a necessity.

The point is, as I pointed out in the first place, that I would find it useful and an improvement on the current situation and was interested to hear other views aswell as potential problems or tech issues. Some tech issues and/or solutions have been pointed out and it's clear is that some would use it, some wouldn't.
    What I still don't understand is, if you wouldn't use it, why get wound up over something that won't even affect you?
    Because unless its self funding (i.e. the people that feel the need to have it actually pay for it) then its either the club that has to fund it (and I would much rather the club invested in the team or the youngsters), or its ALL the fans who would have to pay for it and I'm to tight to pay extra for a peripheral item like this. Which is why when you say that you're not really bothered (yet are the person after all proposing it), I would doubt if you would stump up the folding to actually pay for the damned thing. Hope this clarifies!.
  • So why didn't you just say it would be ok with you if those that want the service pay for it? That's would be quite a reasonable point of view in my opinion. Unfortunately, you (and others) chose to go down the "Oh my god, what is the world coming to? Can't you people just watch the game?" route without considering the possibilities.
    Apart from anything else, quite a few people here have suggested all sorts of additional factors such as sponsorship and retention of customers which, you never know, could even increase income for the club.
    Also, you keep harking back to how I started the thread, but I've never said it is the highest thing on my list of priorities. I wouldn't expect it to be for the club either. I mentioned it here because it just occured to me and I wasn't even aware if anyone had really thought about it.
    Ok? Now that's clear, can we move on?
  • I'd happily pay my way for some decent wifi

I don't booze at footy but I understand that there is a need to improve the service and I wouldn't expect them to stick an extra quid on to the price to make the boozers pay for it but hopefully thru the fans forum/Trust/club some solution can be found ....then again I'm not selfish and understand the needs and wishes of others may be different to mine
    Live and let live
  • edited May 2013
    Whether it is paid for by individuals, a sponsor or by advertising I think CAFC should move forward with this and a few other things to enhance match days... I have tried sending texts to people at half time and you simply have no idea whether people get the or not... Footy has survived and evolved - to me anything that gets more people involved and more people coming back because they enjoy the day should be tried out...
    There are 8,000 empty seats at most home games and perhaps this and a few other ideas will help fill some of them... Or do we simply aim for promotion and wait for the warm weather fans to return?
  • Are the potholes not more important.
  • I have seen it all now, I think we've proved beyond doubt that Lifers can have a row about anything, even something trivial like Wi-Fi.
  • Sponsored links:

• So why didn't you just say it would be ok with you if those that want the service pay for it? That's would be quite a reasonable point of view in my opinion. Unfortunately, you (and others) chose to go down the "Oh my god, what is the world coming to? Can't you people just watch the game?" route without considering the possibilities.
    Apart from anything else, quite a few people here have suggested all sorts of additional factors such as sponsorship and retention of customers which, you never know, could even increase income for the club.
    Also, you keep harking back to how I started the thread, but I've never said it is the highest thing on my list of priorities. I wouldn't expect it to be for the club either. I mentioned it here because it just occured to me and I wasn't even aware if anyone had really thought about it.
    Ok? Now that's clear, can we move on?

Positive ways of improving cafc is what the trust is all about, sorry to jump on that but uts important - and yes agree it can all add up to improved match day experience. Sounds like a slogan but yes again it can mean extra revenue for the club if we/they get it right. Look at how few pubs are left around the ground and how many brighton now get but we don't.
  • iainment said:

Bad idea in my opinion. Enjoy the moment. If you're tha desperate for info bring a radio.

Spot on! I guess you're a football fan like me.

• Have missed a couple of goals this season trying to frustratingly get my 3g signal to pick up

This is the most amazing comment I've ever seen on this forum.
  • Interesting article regarding the amex stadium that covers some of the topics discussed on this thread, and the testing of an alternative to wifi being trialled there tonight

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/staff/newsandevents/?id=19309
  • last_line said:

Interesting article regarding the amex stadium that covers some of the topics discussed on this thread, and the testing of an alternative to wifi being trialled there tonight

What complete bollocks that article is! It does not cost anything like £400,000 to install Wi-Fi at a stadium!

Even a mobile base-station would cost only around US$50,000 - so deploying a bunch of Wi-Fi routers in a stadium would be nothing like that much.
  • Hi Ormiston - can you inbox Razil or myself to send technical spec... the trust hopes to be talking to the club some point soon about improving match days is small and big ways and this will all help
  • last_line said:

Interesting article regarding the amex stadium that covers some of the topics discussed on this thread, and the testing of an alternative to wifi being trialled there tonight

What complete bollocks that article is! It does not cost anything like £400,000 to install Wi-Fi at a stadium!

Even a mobile base-station would cost only around US$50,000 - so deploying a bunch of Wi-Fi routers in a stadium would be nothing like that much.
    It's the so called expertise and labour of the engineers that is the killer here not the cost of the routers...
  • And there are CAFC fans like Ormiston (and yourself?) who can provide that on an expense only basis?
  • last_line said:

It's the so called expertise and labour of the engineers that is the killer here not the cost of the routers...
    Feck me, if they are charging £400,000 to install Wi-Fi at a stadium then the labour must be getting done by Ronaldo and Messi!

Bottom line is that you can run Fiber into every home in an apartment building for around US$1,000 per apartment, meaning a 50-unit complex can be done for about US$50,000 so where anyone gets the £400,000 for Wi-Fi from is beyond me!!!
  • last_line said:

Feck me, if they are charging £400,000 to install Wi-Fi at a stadium then the labour must be getting done by Ronaldo and Messi!

Bottom line is that you can run Fiber into every home in an apartment building for around US$1,000 per apartment, meaning a 50-unit complex can be done for about US$50,000 so where anyone gets the £400,000 for Wi-Fi from is beyond me!!!
    To create the network for a stadium I'd say half a million was a conservative guess
  • Sponsored links:

• And yet Wycombe have it installed
  • And yet Wycombe have it installed

Exactly, the costs are nowhere near 500K, that is total bullshit.
  • So, either way, it's not free then?
  • Off_it said:

So, either way, it's not free then?

No, somewhere between free and 500K!
  • What do people think of selling Solly if it paid for a season's worth of wifi?

:-)
  • They have Wifi at every Mcdonalds in the country..? Why not at football
  • edited May 2013
    SuperYann said:

They have Wifi at every Mcdonalds in the country..? Why not at football

Mcdonald's are also open about 12 hours a day 6/7 days a week, highly profitable, with a clientele who are only eating burgers, reading the Sun whilst scratching their arses, or staring out the window, whilst operating from small, compact, mostly modern, enclosed sites with about 100 seats, where it makes financial sense for people to linger on site and order more food and drink.
    As opposed to a business open 3 or 4 hours a fortnight, making a huge loss, where there is entertainment already provided, located in a ancient open air site the size of... well a football pitch, with up to 27000 seated, none of which are likely to remain after the game for the ambiance, or another "delicious" bovril, or to pop in on any other occasions when there isn't a match on.

I would therefore, your Lordships, like to question the validity of this comparison.
  • Yawn! not sure about anyone else but I would rather the club concentrate on getting the pitch into a better shape for next season and maybe invest in a couple of new players after all it's a FOOTBALL club not an internet cafe.
  • The two aren't mutually exclusive, dave. Of course they should concentrate on the football, but not everyone at the club is a coach. Should the programme seller concentrate on the football? Of course not. Equally, whoever is in charge of non-football matchday stuff should look to improve everyone's experience on the day. And meeting up for a half-time pint is part of that. Anywhere where 20,000 people gather should have wi-fi access in this day and age.
  • Hear what you say Vincenzo but I think you are missing the point. What I am saying is it is more important to get the issues around the Football sorted out than worry about whether someone can Tweet during a match thats all. And as I said in my first post what is wrong with being off line for a couple of hours? It's not the end of the world and if it was it wouldn't matter anyway.