Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WiFi at the Valley

Comments

• on the survey dude...
  • Being in the telco industry myself, this is really where things are headed with telcos using Wi-Fi to provide extra capacity in high traffic zones like shopping centres, stations and so on.

The club would have a modest investment to make up front for the network gear but as long as they limited download allowances (like most of these do) then the ongoing costs are OK.

They could even do a deal with BT or Virgin Media to connect the Wi-Fi via some sort of contra deal.

How "modest"? And what would the ongoing cost be.

A contra deal would be very Charlton.
  • I always find it strange when you see some people spending almost the whole of a match messing around with their phone. Why pay to attend a match if you're going to spend the whole time using your phone?

Cos they are young people and they are lost without them, they may have to talk to other people.

Also if everyone is on their phone, who's gonna clap. Unless we all get clapping apps!

CL Nerds, develop one now...sounds like a winner!
  • Greenie said:

I always find it strange when you see some people spending almost the whole of a match messing around with their phone. Why pay to attend a match if you're going to spend the whole time using your phone?

Cos they are young people and they are lost without them, they may have to talk to other people.

Also if everyone is on their phone, who's gonna clap. Unless we all get clapping apps!

CL Nerds, develop one now...sounds like a winner!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.weirdsound.applause&hl=en
  • Would be a great idea to get WiFi around the Valley. Havent Liverpool already got it up and running at Anfield? Aware that they can afford the front the initial costs but surely some sort of sponsorship deal with a telecom company would be the way forward for our limited funs.

Have missed a couple of goals this season trying to frustratingly get my 3g signal to pick up
  • When I was with O2 I could never get access at the Valley. T-Mobile was better and now with 3 and never had any issues. Last week the people behind me in the East Stand were complaining they had no signal but I was able to check the other scores no problem.

When leaving the ground though and walking through the village the signal always drops out when trying to make a phone call no matter what provider I've been with.
  • Agree o2 flakey all over se london :)
  • Saracens rugby club have free stadium wi-fi which then links to a matchday app that lets you see replays, teamsheets, stats etc as the match is going on. It's excellent.
  • Saracens rugby club have free stadium wi-fi which then links to a matchday app that lets you see replays, teamsheets, stats etc as the match is going on. It's excellent.

Sounds a bit American / Palace to me.
  • Good posting, no it is not the end of the world that you cannot get a signal at the Valley to make a phone call at half time, or get a drink, or get half drowned when it rains sitting in row 'c', but it would be a positive benefit to some of us who think this might improve the matchday experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be a great idea to get WiFi around the Valley. Havent Liverpool already got it up and running at Anfield? Aware that they can afford the front the initial costs but surely some sort of sponsorship deal with a telecom company would be the way forward for our limited funs.

Have missed a couple of goals this season trying to frustratingly get my 3g signal to pick up

You deserved to miss the goals if you chose not to watch the game.

Personally I'd prefer mobile blocking at football, cinema, restaurants etc.

• Good god can people no longer be out of contact with the rest of the world for ninety minutes, what calamity will happen that you must need to know about at other games (except end of season rely/prom issues obviously). Personally I like being able to enjoy the match without phones ringing and constant chat.

Perhaps we may need to bring back the feller putting the half time scores on the boards around the ground.
  • One thing that puzzles me here:
    Why are some people so offended by other people wanting access to the Internet?
    So, you prefer to have a chat or a pint or a wee or stare into space or soak up the atmosphere or read your programme or something.
    Some people would like to check Twitter or Facebook or CharltonLife or whatever.
    What's the problem? You don't like it, they do, but they're not hurting anyone. Let them get on with it.
  • Sure and you might get there earlier and stay later if you could ?
  • One of the few places I get a decent signal on Three!
  • edited May 2013

Saracens rugby club have free stadium wi-fi which then links to a matchday app that lets you see replays, teamsheets, stats etc as the match is going on. It's excellent.

That would be great and I'm sure lots of people would really value the facility. If some people didn't like it they wouldn't have to use it.
  • All premier league stadiums have to have large scale wi-fi for fans from next season. Obviously the new BT and Sky tv deals help pay for it but it can be done, and create long term revenue streams for the club. Those landing pages on public wi fi aren't there for show, they providing advertising revenue!
  • Being in the telco industry myself, this is really where things are headed with telcos using Wi-Fi to provide extra capacity in high traffic zones like shopping centres, stations and so on.

The club would have a modest investment to make up front for the network gear but as long as they limited download allowances (like most of these do) then the ongoing costs are OK.

They could even do a deal with BT or Virgin Media to connect the Wi-Fi via some sort of contra deal.

The cost depends on what we already have in place, you'd need a fibre link into the ground for a start, although we may already have one.

The cost would then depend on how 'dense' you want the network to be (how many repeaters) with the only ongoing cost being the monthly access charges, you can keep these down by limiting users to 500mb per session.

You could easily get a local firm to sponsor the service " Your Wi-Fi service brought to you by Ann Summers" etc, which is getting quite common as others have said.

With BT immersed in the PL could be a good move to approach Virgin Media or Talk Talk for a contra deal.
  • The good thing is you can watch the champs league matches from your seat at evening kick offs.
  • This talk about WiFi access scares me as you do not realise that some of us have kids and the first thing they go to when bored is t'internet. Then they'll be lost as what's the point of them going to matches and spending time on the phones... I say NO to this unless its switched off during play at least...
  • Sponsored links:

• This talk about WiFi access scares me as you do not realise that some of us have kids and the first thing they go to when bored is t'internet. Then they'll be lost as what's the point of them going to matches and spending time on the phones... I say NO to this unless its switched off during play at least...

Or even better, take your kids' phones away for the game and let us check the other scores occasionally.

• Don't let them read your matchday programme either

You could easily get a local firm to sponsor the service " Your Wi-Fi service brought to you by Ann Summers" etc, which is getting quite common as others have said.

Just need a good router.
  • iainment said:

Would be a great idea to get WiFi around the Valley. Havent Liverpool already got it up and running at Anfield? Aware that they can afford the front the initial costs but surely some sort of sponsorship deal with a telecom company would be the way forward for our limited funs.

You deserved to miss the goals if you chose not to watch the game.

Personally I'd prefer mobile blocking at football, cinema, restaurants etc.

With the way home form has been for 80% of the season, you can understand why looking at ya phone is attractive enough ;)

• Yeah, let's spend money on Wifi access for all so mugs can tweet during the match.

Lets make sure we get the important things in life covered.
  • @off_it many people have mentioned it being a cost neutral thing, but don't let that stop you have a moan :)

incidentally what would your priorities be and how you achieve them?
  • edited May 2013
    How is it cost neutral? Others on here have also mentioned it being too expensive or not being feasible, but you are obviously choosing to ignore those comments.

And why on earth does it matter?

What are my priorities? In a Charlton sense? I go to games and watch the football. Sometimes we win and sometimes we don't. Pretty simple really.
  • edited May 2013
    Those people who have mentioned it being too expensive have generally assumed it would be so.

It seems Ormiston knows what they're talking about and they say it wouldn't be too much at all, especially if we got a sponsor on top of that.

IMO it'd be useful but not really a necessity.
  • One thing that puzzles me here:
    So, you prefer to have a chat or a pint or a wee or stare into space or soak up the atmosphere or read your programme or something.
    Some people would like to check Twitter or Facebook or CharltonLife or whatever.
    What's the problem? You don't like it, they do, but they're not hurting anyone. Let them get on with it.

That's fine. You pay for it then.
  • Off_it said:

One thing that puzzles me here:

That's fine. You pay for it then.
    Weird reply. Who said you would have to pay for it?