Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lions Tour to Australia

Comments

• Can't believe this is not on the R5L or R5LX.

It's on talksport.

I can't get Talksport......one off the downsides of living down here, relying on you guys for updates....or the BBC sport website.
    Go to the talksport website.
    Yer the wife sorted it out for me....great game, don't often say well done the Lions.
  • Well played...

Onto Melbourne, but I wonder how many of the Aussie starting XV will make it there?
  • Bloody hell!
  • Well played...

Onto Melbourne, but I wonder how many of the Aussie starting XV will make it there?

A few will be going there by Ambulance after today!
  • for me, beating the aussies is right up there in the top order, british, English, whatever the sport, turning them over is always sweet!
  • That's why i dont particularly like Rugby Union. I can never understand why the penalties are given and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's a good job they cant kick.

Agree with that to an extent. It all seems a bit subjective at times with the decisions, and given the impact those decisions have on the game then its all a bit frustrating.

I had no idea what that last penalty was given for.

• That was close - got lucky at the end when Beale missed those 2 kicks.

Great try by North and Halfpenny kicked really well as usual.

Are the Welsh claiming the victory!

• I thought the referee was poor, but consistently poor as in neither side had a player yellow carded when they probably should. I hope the ref isn't from the Southern Hemisphere or the remaining tests - the different interpretations of the laws is getting that Southern and Northern Hemisphere teams are playing to different rules. It was obvious some of the Lions didn't know why they'd given away a pen e.g. O'Driscoll and he's one of the most experienced players
  • Off_it said:

I had no idea what that last penalty was given for.

Scrum collapsed.

• Sponsored links:

• That's how he refs every game, loves a free for all at the breakdown and that works for the attacking nature of the southern hemisphere game. Superb individual play from both sides, and although Cuthbert's try was good I think Bowe will start the 2nd test now he has been declared fit.
    Front row play for the entire first half was spot on, just a shame the replacements couldn't keep the momentum in the scrum or we may have won by a few more. Got to feel for Beale though, had a superb game before those 2 kicks.

Can't believe people are slating Greenwood, he's got to be one of the most clued up pundits in any sport. He gives an accurate insight into a players mindset in these top test battles and has the experience in the modern game to back up his knowledge. Can't say that about most pundits these days.
  • bloodnut said:

for me, beating the aussies is right up there in the top order, british, English, whatever the sport, turning them over is always sweet!

Absolutely but I think they were the better side today ( except for their kicking ) .
  • Who is slating Greenwood? Generally ex rugby players make decent pundits (significantly better than some ex footballers I can think of!) I do remember Brian Moore and Jeremy Guscott being so partisan when they first started, that someone must have had a severe word with them. Thought some of them were a bit too excitable today or maybe trying a bit too hard. But probably because they how much the game meant and still get fired up etc
  • The Aussies kicking was poor, but the first two penalties that Australia were awarded (and missed) were not penalties. They were given for playing the ball while off your feet - the first offender was I think Paul O'Connell and then Brian O'Driscoll. In both cases the player was on his feet so the penalty shouldn't have been given. He gave another penalty when Heaslip went straight up the middle of the ruck on his feet. In any case you have to let the defending team contest the ball which he failed to do - this is rugby union, not rugby league.

Phillips had a poor game at scrum half, too many aimless box kicks, but he wasn't screened by the back row and he should have kept an eye out for Genia who set up the first Australian try. Youngs looked good when he came on and may well have sneaked ahead of him for next week.

The substitutions wrecked the flow of the scrum - Cole, Hibbards and Vunipola were not as good as the players they replaced.

The Lions backs were a bit static when in possession - North could well have had a second try - correctly it was disallowed, but when he got the ball he was standing still, had he been in motion I reckon he'd have had the split second more that he needed.
  • May have been on their feet but also got to support your own weight too I believe.
  • edited June 2013
    Always going to have this issue as the northern hemisphere interprets the ruling differently to the Southern. BOD does this all the time here and is, rightly as far as I'm concerned, praised for his work & strength here. He could possibly argue that Pollock doesn't know enough about him or the strength he has in his upper legs which do support him.

Just seen also that Horvill, Aussie captain, has been cited for stamping/trampling on Alun Wyn's head. Decision this morning, but could be ruled out of both remaining tests if found guilty.
  • Always going to have this issue as the northern hemisphere interprets the ruling differently to the Southern. BOD does this all the time here and is, rightly as far as I'm concerned, praised for his work & strength here. He could possibly argue that Pollock doesn't know enough about him or the strength he has in his upper legs which do support him.

Just seen also that Horvill, Aussie captain, has been cited for stamping/trampling on Alun Wyn's head. Decision this morning, but could be ruled out of both remaining tests if found guilty.
    Australia is more likely to enforce Sharia Law than they are to give Horwill - of impeccable local stock of the 'right' kind - a lengthy suspension.

He'll get a slap on the wrist and that's it.
  • Horwill's alleged stamp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmxteL5soQ

He's the Aussie #5 in the blue scrum-cap. You can see AWJ put his hand to his head after Howrill's boot makes contact with his head and it looks as though Horwill's foot changes direction to make contact. All about interpretation but it looks deliberate to me.
  • Cheers BFR. That looks pretty deliberate to me. That's an unnatural angle to bring the foot down. Depends on the make-up of the IRB panel I suppose OA. We should find out shortly.
  • More injuries then - O'Connell and Corbisiero
  • Sponsored links:

• Always going to have this issue as the northern hemisphere interprets the ruling differently to the Southern. BOD does this all the time here and is, rightly as far as I'm concerned, praised for his work & strength here. He could possibly argue that Pollock doesn't know enough about him or the strength he has in his upper legs which do support him.

Australia is more likely to enforce Sharia Law than they are to give Horwill - of impeccable local stock of the 'right' kind - a lengthy suspension.

Not even a slapped wrist!
  • TelMc32 said:

Always going to have this issue as the northern hemisphere interprets the ruling differently to the Southern. BOD does this all the time here and is, rightly as far as I'm concerned, praised for his work & strength here. He could possibly argue that Pollock doesn't know enough about him or the strength he has in his upper legs which do support him.

Not even a slapped wrist!

No surprise there, you only have to remember the spear tackle on BOD in NZ on the Lions tour, 45 Secs into the game, the same result after the citing.
  • edited June 2013
    Really enjoyed the game yesterday. George North's try alone justified spending a couple of hours in front of the TV and it was highly amusing to see ex Rugby League, ex Aussie Rules star Israel Folau go from potential "weak link" to superstar within twenty minutes!! Felt the game lacked the bruising intensity upfront that characterises and enhances the Six Nations though!!

Anyway, the reason for the post is that I just don't get the hype. Who cares? I'd much rather see England win the 2014 Six Nations and the World Cup the year after.

In any event, we only had three players starting yesterday and one of those would have missed out if both Welsh props had been fit. Wouldn't it be more fun to see Wales play Australia on their own?!

It's a bit embarrassing that we have to gang up on the Tri Nations to beat them. The French are in New Zealand on their own!! Why don't we do that?

:)

• edited June 2013
    On SS2 now,, final of the Under 20 World Cup ... England v Wales .. come on England

England win 23-15 having beaten NZ in the semis and despite the best effort of the referee (a Kiwi), one touch judge and the replay ref who between them managed to rob the English of two tries which looked to me to be quite legitimate .. always nice to beat those charming Welsh lads !!!!
  • It's a bit embarrassing that we have to gang up on the Tri Nations to beat them. The French are in New Zealand on their own!! Why don't we do that?

England toured Argentina a couple of weeks ago and tour one of the SH nations every summer.

And we aren't ganging up on the Tri-Nations, even if the Kiwi referee appeared to be playing for Australia.

• Jesus, how was that not a deliberate stamp?
  • Off_it said:

Jesus, how was that not a deliberate stamp?

Because, like I say, the Aussies would rather embrace Islam than ban their best forward and captain.

The IRB panel is supposed to be independent but they know what the reaction would be if they banned Horwill.
  • We've now lost Paul O'Connell for the rest of the tour with a fractured arm. That lad's having a nightmare year for injuries, just when he was getting back on track. Huge blow for Lions as well as himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23020809
  • Geoff Parling is a good replacement though.
  • O'Connell looked underpowered in the first test and I suspect that his selection was based more on nostalgia than current form.
    Parling IS in form and should have been selected ahead of O'Connell for the first test. I suspect that Parling will be the only change for the coming Saturday