Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesborough v Charlton post match news & views 2013

13»

Comments

• Options
    A very good first half and we looked competent and tight throughout.

In the second half, we sat back and, in effect, challenged 'Boro to do anything about it. That was, in all probability, on the instructions of management.

Boro had a lot of territory but got no reward until the 76th minute or thereabouts. Thereafter, there was always a chance of an equaliser and the marking at the corner was very poor.

My overall feeling - and not with the benefit of hindsight - is that we took an unnecessarily defensive approach in the second half and let a poor team back into it. We should have gone for the kill.

It doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things for this season, but they were absolutely there for the taking ( a view shared by all the Boro supporters around us ).

I would have settled for a point on the way up to Teeside but most certainly not on the way back - it should have been 3.
  • Options
    Fuller looked onside from the sky plus pause although the angle wasn't the best. Shame it looked like Hollands lost McDonald from the corner.
  • Options
    Saw the Football League Show. Mowbray, with respect, can stick it up his arse.
  • Options
    Didn't deserve play-off spot with our horrible home form....I blame Powell.....Paddy that is....the terrible pitch was a big factor.....
  • Options
    Shows how far we have come when we are disappointed not to pick up all three points away to 'Boro. Ignore Mowbray, he's only saying things the supporters and Board want to hear, and also making adverse statements about his own coaching abilities.
  • Options

Shows how far we have come when we are disappointed not to pick up all three points away to 'Boro. Ignore Mowbray, he's only saying things the supporters and Board want to hear, and also making adverse statements about his own coaching abilities.

That's what I thought when I heard it, odd comment to make.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

That's what I thought when I heard it, odd comment to make.
    Could be that Mowbray is hinting he needs some money to spend. Gibson is a patient Chairman and I doubt will pull the trigger.

• Options
    Don't think we should bother what any other manager says,they all have their own agenda .Don't think he will be there next season though,they have had a massive collapse and he seems to have run out of ideas.
  • Options
    The officials: Creations of Jim Henson!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's so frustrating - would have made it 3-1 and they wouldn't have come back from that.

• Options
    Why on earth does mowbray think they should be beating us?! We're above them in the table, they have poorer players than us, they have lower attendances than us, and they cant even regularly half fill their stadium. Needs a reality check
  • Options
    With respect, Tony Mowbray, you are a wonderfully sane human being and tactical expert, whose Middlesbrough team has no faults at all, and should really be beating the likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona at home, not just Charlton.

Wait, I think I'm doing this wrong.
  • Options
    Just back from the game, we broke the journey both ways in Lincolnshire.

All in all I enjoyed the day yesterday, first half perfomance without Hughes or Jackson was very impressive. Despite Mowbrays ridiculous comments, his two substituitions changed the game, Macdonald especially looked lively when he cam on. I thought the goal was onside to make it 3-1 but not overly upset by the result given the context of the season or the game. It felt very similar to the PNE final away game last season.

Ending on a negative, the day was slightly ruined by a 50+ year old local women, with her husband who on hearing my lad George on my shoulders ask if we should have had a penalty at the end turned around and shouted
    "Cockneys like giving the sh@t out but not taking the sh@t" we were just reaching the car and she continued "now get in your flash F@@ing car and F@ck of to London". Classy.....

She was right about the car I suppose!
  • Options
    Just a niggle--who does Tony Mowbray think he is--with respect we should be beating teams like Charlton? Look at the table matey,you're lucky to have a job still.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

No shame in a 2-2 at the boro
    Wow!
    What a brilliant achievement by SCP and the players to get us this far up the table surpassing what I expected by a long way

100% 7th-12th

Which I for one could never see happening this season least of all after the scum defeat , I called this season wrong

Personally think Powelly is holding this pack of cards together ala Curbishley and without him oblivion could be where we head to

Next season
    1% Top two ..... 4% 3rd-6th .... 25% 7th-12th ..... 65% 13th-21st ..... 5% relegation

I think a decent amount of investment will be required because surely this league , next season ,won't be as *close/shit/brilliant* as this season

*delete as you see fit !

You think we have the same chance of relegation as playoffs next year ? And a 70% chance of a worse finish than this season ?
    He does now, but he changes it after every game - so it's reactive rather than predictive
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Scott McDonald's contract is up this summer - worth a punt ? 12 in 31 apps for a pretty ordinary team this season, experienced international striker with a decent record everywhere he's been and still only 29.
  • Options
    Wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest, with the money they've spent on their squad (McDonald £3.5m alone, Emnes & others...) plus the wages they must be on, yes they should be beating us.

But we have "punched above our weight" this season. Didn't CP say we were in the bottom six for wage bill. Yet we're guaranteed a top half finish. It's been a job very well done by everyone IMO, and makes people like Mowbray who can't get big spending teams promoted look silly. :-)
  • Options
    Looked a really flukey finish by Emnes. Just had a swipe at the ball.
  • Options
    I thought he hit it with his knee which gave Hamer no time to move
  • Options
    Looking at Football League Show, Doncasters goal at Brentford was more offside than Fullers yesterday !
  • Options
    Whether he thinks they "should beat a team like Charlton at home" or not, that's not really the point. The fact that he comes out and says that without being prompted is extremely disrespectful and I hope we absolutely cane them next year.
  • Options
    mowbray wot a mug you are in the top 6 for most of the season cant wait till we play them at the valley next year shame he wont be in charge
  • Options
    Good away draw and a win on Saturday will seal what I think has turned out to be a really good season back in The Championship. Said it before but we are lucky to Hhve CP, he's learning the trade and has made a few mistakes but the most important thing is he learned from them. Am quietly optimistic for next season now it's up to the board to back our manager with some dosh.