Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Mcginty

Comments

• Options
    If he was rubbish as some posts suggest he would have been released. Ferguson obviously sees something so now wants the lads football education to move on to the next level. I'm not saying he will go on to be a first team regular for Utd but it sounds to me that he has a football career ahead of him at a decent level.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Also, is this the young kid we gave to Man U a few years back ?

IIRC Man U could have poached him for virtually nothing as he was not under a contract at the time although we would have gotten a development fee. The consensus was that we got a fair price - ca £500k for an untried 15/16 year old.

• Options
    I heard it was half that. Shame about what has happened. When he left Charlton a senior Academy member of staff told me that he felt he could well be back within a couple of years. He was also really surprised they had signed him. Bear in mind they also signed his younger brother who i believe is still there.
  • Options
    heard it was about 400k
  • Options
    In the words of the song "you done too much, much too young"
  • Options
    Maybe a wake up call for him.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Shame because I would image we have a sell on clause on him
  • Options
    If Powell was to "av a word" and be convinced that this lad can sort out his act, then it might be something worth looking into. Ability is only part of the make-up of being a successful footballer. If I knew McGinty personally, I'd sit him down and remind him of what happened to the young lad at Man City (don't know his name) who was expected to be the next BIG thing, yet threw it all away before he'd even got it. I'll trust CPs judgement...............................
  • Options

If Powell was to "av a word" and be convinced that this lad can sort out his act, then it might be something worth looking into. Ability is only part of the make-up of being a successful footballer. If I knew McGinty personally, I'd sit him down and remind him of what happened to the young lad at Man City (don't know his name) who was expected to be the next BIG thing, yet threw it all away before he'd even got it. I'll trust CPs judgement...............................

I was very impressed with Sean McGinty when I first saw him as a sixteen year old playing for the Under 18s.He looked like he had a big future.He has blown it with Man Utd but that doesn't mean that is the end of his career.Whatever the problem is he needs to confront it maybe with professional help.I am not sure i would want him back at Charlton,unless he straightens himself out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Michael Johnson? Did you see the latest pic of him on the net? in a take away shop I think
  • Options
    Richard Murray confirmed that summer they paid £475k.

Shame he's not progressed as hoped, no doubt there would have been a few clauses. Just shows no matter how good a player is at 15/16 there's still no guarantee they'll develop as expected.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and if he turns it around. With Feely, Gomez, Ajayi and Lennon (if they're staying), would we even need him?
  • Options
    Chelsea, Manchester United and other clubs big and small sign up youngsters who have the slightest hint of talent like a hoover trawler sweeps up fish .. if 1 in 100 ever make it as a professional I would be surprised. McGinty obviously didn't want 'the life' enough .. him and 1000s of others down the years.
  • Options
    Still got talent but needs to knock boozing on the head
  • Options
    Seems as though he wanted "the life" a lot.

It was the work and discipline that are lacking.
  • Options

Seems as though he wanted "the life" a lot.

It was the work and discipline that are lacking.

Sounds a bit like my mate who years ago was picked up by Southampton but didn't last too long as he hated the discipine and training.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262707/Michael-Johnson-released-Manchester-City-pictured-takeaway.html

Sad story about Michael Johnson.

Absolutely amazing goal at the bottom of article. Have a watch.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262707/Michael-Johnson-released-Manchester-City-pictured-takeaway.html

Can't get on the articale at work, but I know City thought a lot of his injury problems were psychosomatic, and that he'd had treatment over several years at The Priory. Very sad that a 25 year old with that much talent has basically not played in 4 years, a real shame for him.
  • Options
    The ever reliable Footy rumours suggests McGinty might be going to Bristol City.

15 May 2013 11:28:10
    Bristol City are in talks with recently released Manchester United centre back Sean McGinty. McGinty has been the subject of recent disciplinary breaches but Sean O'Driscoll is keen to talk to the defender to solve there long standing centre back issue and has been invited to join the Robins on their pre season tour of Botswana.
  • Options
    Pre-season tour of Botswana? Random.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Still got talent but needs to knock boozing on the head

I heard one of his loan spells was cut short for this very reason
  • Options
    "McGinty was already in deep water at United having been convicted of drink-driving and banned for 18 months. He was caught by police last year, twice over the limit and driving the wrong way down a one-way street at 4.30am after leaving a nightclub"

Bet Fergie was happy when he heard that!!
  • Options
    Richard J said:

The ever reliable Footy rumours suggests McGinty might be going to Bristol City.

Bristol City are in talks with recently released Manchester United centre back Sean McGinty. McGinty has been the subject of recent disciplinary breaches but Sean O'Driscoll is keen to talk to the defender to solve there long standing centre back issue and has been invited to join the Robins on their pre season tour of Botswana.

mustve been a rovers fan that posted that, surely?
  • Options
    blimey, googled it, they are going to botswana!
  • Options
    why on earth would they want to tour there?
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Agreed, Dizzee. Fabulous goal.

The fact that after beating his man and laying the ball off, he kept running into space to receive the return.
    And a hell of a strike from distance, bent with the outside of the foot.

What a waste of talent.

• Options
    Richard J said:

Only one man to sort out a young 'un of this ilk....

• Options
    Hearing McGinty is signing for Sheff U. Lets hope he knuckles down for his sake.
  • Options
    I think he will benefit from getting out of of Man Utd where he is a very peripheral figure and probably not subject to the discipline of first team squad involvement. The extra responsibility and commitment might just be what he needs. Lets hope so for his sake. Would be such a shame for an obvious talent being wasted.
  • Options
    Signed for Sheff. United according to SkySportsNews.