Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of the pitch - Embarrassing

13»

Comments

• Options

Why do people get the sack off it?

Answer - for not getting results.

But you go ahead and justify why the pitch is acceptable when comparing it to Watford's who incidentally also has rugby union played on it.

You seem to have a season ticket on most threads and I've noticed how you like to moan at others and mock their views. You fail to grasp that a forum is about views and opinions. Maybe you are the idiot.

Read my thread about Watfords pitch.
    Off it is spot on fella. Idiot
  • Options

But you go ahead and justify why the pitch is acceptable when comparing it to Watford's who incidentally also has rugby union played on it.

You seem to have a season ticket on most threads and I've noticed how you like to moan at others and mock their views. You fail to grasp that a forum is about views and opinions. Maybe you are the idiot.

How strange. You can post views demanding people get sacked and when I state my view that your talking bollox bolder suddenly it's all about freedom of speech. Nice one. I see what you've done there, but do you?
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I agree a forum is about opinions.

If you saw Paddy Powell play you will also know that he has been Valley groundsman for donkeys years.

The pitch has been excellent until this season.

Why is it poor this season? Has Paddy suddenly become a poor groundsman or is it something else?

Your view appears that Paddy has become a poor groundsman. Mine is that there are other factors not helped by the fact that Paddy has been unwell.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Alright saying sack him but who would we replace him with?

Are any other available groundsmen experienced at this level?

We have got no money for new sod or pitchforks so no guarantee a new man would get better out of his gardening equipment. At least paddy knows the lawn mowers and how to get the best out of them.

Chelsea had a shit surface years ago but they stuck with their groundsman and that consistency led to good things on the pitch.

• Options
    Spend peanuts you get monkeys.

No budget for the pitch.

Unless the sun comes out it isn't going to change. When you compare it to Welling Utd it is embarassing.

However, Forest made it look like a carpet. We on the other hand lookes like we were playing on a ploughed field.
  • Options

Alright saying sack him but who would we replace him with?

Are any other available groundsmen experienced at this level?

We have got no money for new sod or pitchforks so no guarantee a new man would get better out of his gardening equipment. At least paddy knows the lawn mowers and how to get the best out of them.

Chelsea had a shit surface years ago but they stuck with their groundsman and that consistency led to good things on the pitch.

Completely agree. Lets stick with the pitch we've got and hope it can turn things around. Lets give it our full support for the rest of the season.

Certainly don't want one of those fancy continental pitches coming in and being all foreign on us.
  • Options
    I can't believe how many times NWCorner has said Watford have money spent on their pitch and covers/undersoil, yet people keep comparing it to ours lol.

There are pitches which don't have those luxurys but are in a better condition than the valley.

It's not good enough and it's not gonna get better but fans and players just have to get on with it.
  • Options
    Do you mean to tell me that with limited resources, someone can't achieve results, when with more funding, they could achieve a significantly better result?

I don't understand this argument I'm afraid.

Powells out.
  • Options
    No more pitch talk from me after this :
    Look at pictures from the last game last season V Hartlepool. It was excellent.
    We have just been unlucky with the weather on certain games especially the youth cup game. Parts of it doesn't get enough natural sunlight, and with no heat getting into it, re growth is hard. The Dome cover used to aid that ! Paddy hasn't done anything different than previous years. He is not happy with it and CP and the board know this and will hopefully fund it in the summer.
    Yes Wellings pitch is good but has years of root holding it together. We dig ours up as we play 4 games a day in May and preperation time is shorter. Yes Watford have rugby on theirs but have spent a million pound on it.
    Yes, Paddy was ill before Xmas but that's not a factor
    Yes, I'm sure it will be as good as new next season
    If you are going to question his job as groundsman learn all the facts into why its not good at the moment.
    Goodnight and keep the faith
    CAFC til I die
  • Options
    NWCorner
    Good arguments, mate, I am convinced you are right.

Seems there are other pitches in this division which are bad too. I had to listen to the Wednesday - palarse commentary, and James Scowcroft was slating the pitch.

I think it's another reflection of the massive and disgraceful revenue gap between the prem and this league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Prague !
    There are a lot more factors, financial etc why it's poor at the minute.
    Paddy and CP have spoke about it numerous times and they both know the score.
    Hopefully if we sell Chris Solly in the summer we will get the pitch how it used to be.,,lol
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I am worried that the state of the pitch might cause a serious injury to a player.
  • Options
    Look at Blackpools pitch
  • Options
    The Huddersfield pitch was terrible too.

It's hard to entirely understand why some bits are worse than others. The worst sections seem to be on the East side, halfway to the goals on either side of the half way line, when normally the worst area is in the South goalmouth caused by the shadow from the Jimmy Seed stand.
  • Options
    I'd sell the midfield, to be able to fund the pitch and then use Welling's midfield instead.
  • Options
    I thought Paddy had done a cracking job of those white lines today. Very clear despite being on mud.
  • Options

The grass really is greener on the other side.

Then we should turn this pitch over.
    I'd like to see us turn a team over on it ;-)
  • Options
    I think it played ok yesterday though - it's when it rains it affects the game.
  • Options
    forrest had no problem passing the ball on it yesterday neither have all the away teams this season, yes it is bad but its not an excuse for an abysmal home record this season.
  • Options
    The club should cancel all the private hire matches at the end of the season to allow the Groundstaff to make an early start on the pitch. At the moment they wont be able redress and reseed it until June.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The club should cancel all the private hire matches at the end of the season to allow the Groundstaff to make an early start on the pitch. At the moment they wont be able redress and reseed it until June.

Where do you think the money for the seeds comes from?
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Paddy Powell,contending with wettest weather for decades and little or no sunlight to consolidate the grass.Make the best of it for the next six matches then rip it up--will they need any volunteers to help?
  • Options
    Should we rip it up and returf it in time for Burnley?
  • Options
    We've had a few matches on extremely wet days - they have done for the pitch as much as anything else.
  • Options
    Paddy Powell, is a good grounds man, this is the first eason we can complain about the pitch in 20+ years, I suspect it isbecause the club had to many post season events on the pitch. Which did not give Powell a chance to sort it out over the summer.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2013
    The state of the pitch reflects the current general investment levels in the club. Some money needs to be spent on the pitch and make sure that it is a good playing surface. It is not encouraging for quality games and will definitely hit season ticket sales. TJ / MS and other need to communicate with the supporters what the plan is to improve the pitch. This should not involve blaming Colin Powell for a lack of investment.

The pitch is in the worst state I can remember seeing for many years. The management of the club need to get a grip and sort it out.
  • Options

Where do you think the money for the seeds comes from?

So what sort of revenue from private hire are we talking about ?

• Options