Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoking at The Valley / e-cigarettes

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Jints said:

No real evidence as to the non harm of passive e cigarette exposure. Until then I don't want them anywhere near me just like the real thing.

I see this argument all the time and it annoys me intensely. When did we go from banning things because it was demonstrated that they were harmful to banning things because there was no evidence that they weren't harmful? What next, screening to make sure you don't sit next to someone who has a cold? Nobody with badbreath allowed it because there's no evidence that stinky breath doesn't harm people in the general vicinity?

There's tons of evidence. All eliquids are made of flavourings, propelyne glycerine, vegetable glycerine and nicotine. Each one of these ingredients has been extensively tested and none of them are dangerous even to those directly inhaling them. You are as likely to be harmed from ecig vapour as from vapour from the bovril being drunk by the bloke behind you.

As said earlier. It's ok to pour alchohol down your throat and then sit next to people and annoy them all through the bloody game because your high on drugs. But you can't smoke an Ecigarette behind the East stand at half time. I'm a non smoker, but the world has gone mad.
  • Options

No real evidence as to the non harm of passive e cigarette exposure. Until then I don't want them anywhere near me just like the real thing.

No real evidence saying they cause harm. In fact there is more evidence showing that they are safe.
  • Options
    Yet another example of how setting up a small smoking area would solve this problem.

At Doncaster they opened up one of the gates and placed a few low metal fences so that people could go for a cigarette at half time. It took 1 or 2 stewards to man it, and negated this entire issue altogether,
  • Options
    Ecigs do not contain or produce flat carbons. Toast does though :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Stig said:

...These things do absolutely no harm to the user, and certainly none to anyone nearby...

Everything is a carcinogen

Known human carcinogens
    International Agency for Research on Cancer
    Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans

Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
    Acid mists, strong inorganic
    Aflatoxins
    Alcoholic beverages
    Aluminum production
    4-Aminobiphenyl
    Areca nut
    Aristolochic acid (and plants containing it)
    Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
    Asbestos (all forms) and mineral substances (such as talc or vermiculite) that contain asbestos
    Auramine production
    Azathioprine
    Benzene
    Benzidine and dyes metabolized to benzidine
    Benzo[a]pyrene
    Beryllium and beryllium compounds
    Betel quid, with or without tobacco
    Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
    Busulfan
    1,3-Butadiene
    Cadmium and cadmium compounds
    Chlorambucil
    Chlornaphazine
    Chromium (VI) compounds
    Clonorchis sinensis (infection with), also known as the Chinese liver fluke
    Coal, indoor emissions from household combustion
    Coal gasification
    Coal-tar distillation
    Coal-tar pitch
    Coke production
    Cyclophosphamide
    Cyclosporine
    1,2-Dichloropropane
    Diethylstilbestrol
    Engine exhaust, diesel
    Epstein-Barr virus (infection with)
    Erionite
    Estrogen postmenopausal therapy
    Estrogen-progestogen postmenopausal therapy (combined)
    Estrogen-progestogen oral contraceptives (combined) (Note: There is also convincing evidence in humans that these agents confer a protective effect against cancer in the endometrium and ovary)
    Ethanol in alcoholic beverages
    Ethylene oxide
    Etoposide
    Etoposide in combination with cisplatin and bleomycin
    Fission products, including strontium-90
    Fluoro-edenite fibrous amphibole
    Formaldehyde
    Haematite mining (underground)
    Helicobacter pylori (infection with)
    Hepatitis B virus (chronic infection with)
    Hepatitis C virus (chronic infection with)
    Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) (infection with)
    Human papilloma virus (HPV) types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59 (infection with) (Note: The HPV types that have been classified as carcinogenic to humans can differ by an order of magnitude in risk for cervical cancer)
    Human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-1) (infection with)
    Ionizing radiation (all types)
    Iron and steel founding (workplace exposure)
    Isopropyl alcohol manufacture using strong acids
    Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus (KSHV) (infection with), also known as human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) (infection with)
    Leather dust
    Magenta production
    Melphalan
    Methoxsalen (8-methoxypsoralen) plus ultraviolet A radiation
    4,4'-Methylenebis(chloroaniline) (MOCA)
    Mineral oils, untreated or mildly treated
    MOPP and other combined chemotherapy including alkylating agents
    2-Naphthylamine
    Neutron radiation
    Nickel compounds
    N'-Nitrosonornicotine (NNN) and 4-(N-Nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)
    Opisthorchis viverrini (infection with), also known as the Southeast Asian liver fluke
    Outdoor air pollution and the particulate matter in it
    Painter (workplace exposure as a)
    3,4,5,3',4'-Pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB-126)
    2,3,4,7,8-Pentachlorodibenzofuran
    Phenacetin (and mixtures containing it)
    Phosphorus-32, as phosphate
    Plutonium
    Polychlorinated biphenyls (includes dioxin-like polychlorinated biphenyls with a Toxicity Equivalency Factor according to WHO:(PCBs 77, 81, 105, 114, 118, 123, 126, 156, 157, 167, 169, 189)
    Radioiodines, including iodine-131
    Radionuclides, alpha-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
    Radionuclides, beta-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
    Radium-224 and its decay products
    Radium-226 and its decay products
    Radium-228 and its decay products
    Radon-222 and its decay products
    Rubber manufacturing industry
    Salted fish (Chinese-style)
    Schistosoma haematobium (infection with)
    Semustine (methyl-CCNU)
    Shale oils
    Silica dust, crystalline, in the form of quartz or cristobalite
    Solar radiation
    Soot (as found in workplace exposure of chimney sweeps)
    Sulfur mustard
    Tamoxifen (Note: There is also conclusive evidence that tamoxifen reduces the risk of contralateral breast cancer in breast cancer patients)
    2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin
    Thiotepa
    Thorium-232 and its decay products
    Tobacco, smokeless
    Tobacco smoke, secondhand
    Tobacco smoking
    ortho-Toluidine
    Treosulfan
    Trichloroethylene
    Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, including UVA, UVB, and UVC rays
    Ultraviolet-emitting tanning devices
    Vinyl chloride
    Wood dust
    X- and Gamma-radiation

National Toxicology Program 13th Report on Carcinogens
    "Known to be human carcinogens"

Aflatoxins
    Alcoholic beverage consumption
    4-Aminobiphenyl
    Analgesic mixtures containing phenacetin
    Aristolochic acids
    Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
    Asbestos
    Azathioprine
    Benzene
    Benzidine
    Beryllium and beryllium compounds
    Bis(chloromethyl) ether and technical-grade chloromethyl methyl ether
    1,3-Butadiene
    1,4-Butanediol dimethylsulfonate (also known as busulfan)
    Cadmium and cadmium compounds
    Chlorambucil
    1-(2-Chloroethyl)-3-(4-methylcyclohexyl)-1-nitrosourea (MeCCNU)
    Chromium hexavalent compounds
    Coal tar pitches
    Coal tars
    Coke oven emissions
    Cyclophosphamide
    Cyclosporin A
    Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
    Dyes metabolized to benzidine
    Erionite
    Estrogens, steroidal
    Ethylene oxide
    Formaldehyde
    Hepatitis B virus
    Hepatitis C virus
    Human papilloma viruses: some genital-mucosal types
    Melphalan
    Methoxsalen with ultraviolet A therapy (PUVA)
    Mineral oils (untreated and mildly treated)
    Mustard gas
    2-Naphthylamine
    Neutrons
    Nickel compounds
    Oral tobacco products
    Radon
    Silica, crystalline (respirable size)
    Solar radiation
    Soots
    Strong inorganic acid mists containing sulfuric acid
    Sunlamps or sunbeds, exposure to
    Tamoxifen
    2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD); "dioxin"
    Thiotepa
    Thorium dioxide
    Tobacco smoke, environmental
    Tobacco, smokeless
    Tobacco smoking
    o‑Toluidine
    Vinyl chloride
    Ultraviolet radiation, broad spectrum
    Wood dust
    X-radiation and gamma radiation

• Options
    The "no harm to the user" argument is odd isn't it?

Let's be clear, nicotine is a poison, like arsenic or cyanide. It was once used as a pesticide but is now banned in a lot of places (which probably tells you all you need to know).

It is estimated that a dose of around 30-60mg will kill an adult in minutes. That compares with a dose range of 70-200mg for arsenic by the way!

I understand the liquid refills for e-cigs contain around 75mg. So don't swallow one whole or leave them unattended around kids....

BTW a Belgium was once murdered - his poisoners using nicotine - just saying... It's a fascinating tale which did a lot for toxicology apparently. wired.com/2012/05/nicotine-and-the-chemistry-of-murder/
  • Options

My wife gave up smoking 6 months ago, after 30 years. She now smokes e cigarettes (my suggestion).
    She's addicted to them now. At least they're not detrimental to your health (as far as we know).
    However, they appear to be as expensive as cigarettes (although advertised as much cheaper).
    Does anyone else smoke these & if so how do they find them cost wise ?

I'm guessing she smokes the ones that look like fags with replaceable tips? If she wants to save money, she needs to find a proper one which have separate batteries and tanks that can be refilled with eliquid. Those fag look-a-likes are a rip off. They tell you that you'll get 40 fags from a tip and it's BS, it's more like 10, they also cost a fortune to replace. I use a 'Kanger Evod' it cost me 30 quid to buy but has replaceable vapourisers and takes liquid refills. It costs me around £10 per month in liquid and replaceable vaporisers last about a month and cost £1.50 each.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Jints said:

I see this argument all the time and it annoys me intensely. When did we go from banning things because it was demonstrated that they were harmful to banning things because there was no evidence that they weren't harmful? What next, screening to make sure you don't sit next to someone who has a cold? Nobody with badbreath allowed it because there's no evidence that stinky breath doesn't harm people in the general vicinity?

There's tons of evidence. All eliquids are made of flavourings, propelyne glycerine, vegetable glycerine and nicotine. Each one of these ingredients has been extensively tested and none of them are dangerous even to those directly inhaling them. You are as likely to be harmed from ecig vapour as from vapour from the bovril being drunk by the bloke behind you.

The market for e cigarettes is due to be flooded with cheap imitations fron ostensibly China. These products will no doubt work and will have undergone zero testing to see if what they emit is harmful. Straight question. Would you be happy for your child to sit next to someone who is smoking a e cigarette until that time when it is unequivocally proved that these things are safe ?

Oh I forgot. Cold virus and bovril are not carcinogenic.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    cafcfan said:

The "no harm to the user" argument is odd isn't it?

Let's be clear, nicotine is a poison, like arsenic or cyanide. It was once used as a pesticide but is now banned in a lot of places (which probably tells you all you need to know).

It is estimated that a dose of around 30-60mg will kill an adult in minutes. That compares with a dose range of 70-200mg for arsenic by the way!

I understand the liquid refills for e-cigs contain around 75mg. So don't swallow one whole or leave them unattended around kids....

BTW a Belgium was once murdered - his poisoners using nicotine - just saying... It's a fascinating tale which did a lot for toxicology apparently. wired.com/2012/05/nicotine-and-the-chemistry-of-murder/

Tests have shown that nicotine in the kind of quantities consumed in ecigs and cigarettes is about as harmful as the caffeine in a cup of coffee. Yes it's a poison, but so are a lot of things that are completely legal and widely available. If you are going to start drinking bottles of nicotine eliquid it's not going to do your health much good, but neither is drinking a whole plethora of other household objects (bleach, toilet cleaner etc). Let's keep things in context.

When used in the correct and proper way, nicotine is less harmful than many other things that we put in our body.

You are most certainly correct about keeping eliquid well away from kids however. The liquid I buy comes in a child safe bottle and I keep it hidden away. I also don't use my ecig around the kids either. I don't want them to see it and grow up thinking it's a normal thing to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jints said:

The market for e cigarettes is due to be flooded with cheap imitations fron ostensibly China. These products will no doubt work and will have undergone zero testing to see if what they emit is harmful. Straight question. Would you be happy for your child to sit next to someone who is smoking a e cigarette until that time when it is unequivocally proved that these things are safe ?

1. The cheap imitations from China have been around for years. They are batteries, not eliquid.

2. I do vape around my child with a 100% clear conscious. That's because I know (as in I am certain) that it is safe.

3. Elquid is not carcinogenic. Nothing is set alight. That's why its called vapour rather than smoke. The fact that you don't know this indicates that you don't really know very much about the subject (no particular reason why you should, of course).
  • Options
    Jints said:

Jints said:

1. The cheap imitations from China have been around for years. They are batteries, not eliquid.

2. I do vape around my child with a 100% clear conscious. That's because I know (as in I am certain) that it is safe.

3. Elquid is not carcinogenic. Nothing is set alight. That's why its called vapour rather than smoke. The fact that you don't know this indicates that you don't really know very much about the subject (no particular reason why you should, of course).
    Very condescending of you.

As for the cheap imitations . You have seen them all have you. If they are not identical to yours already then they are being designed or manufactured as I write.

And one other thing. You don't know they are 100% safe. Nobody does.

• Options
    I've been vaping for 4/5 years. I know the difference between a battery and a liquid. I don't know they are a 100% safe for the person vaping. I do know that they are 100% safe for anyone nearby because I know what vapour is.

Go on - where is your proof that bovril vapour is 100% safe?

But what I really object to is this precautionary approach that if you can't prove that something is 100% safe then it must be banned. The onus should be on the person seeking to ban the substance that it should be banned.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Nicotine is a carcinogen and poison itself, these however are still undergoing testing to ascertain the danger when Vaped.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Jints said:

I've been vaping for 4/5 years. I know the difference between a battery and a liquid. I don't know they are a 100% safe for the person vaping. I do know that they are 100% safe for anyone nearby because I know what vapour is.

Why is vapour catagorically safe ? Does it not matter what's in the vapour ? Open a bottle of Sulphuric acid in your house and see how you get on.
  • Options
    Jints said:

But what I really object to is this precautionary approach that if you can't prove that something is 100% safe then it must be banned. The onus should be on the person seeking to ban the substance that it should be banned.

I'll run it past you one time more then give up. Nobody knows if vape is safe and nobody knows what the new generation of e cigarettes mass produced in China will only be producing vapour regardless of whether they are battered operated or driven by pit ponies on a treadmill.

As for bovril well you diminish your argument by suggesting it might be dangerous other than spilling it in your lap.

• Options
    Jints said:

Really? Surely something with unknown dangers should be banned until it is cleared as 'safe' ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Jints said:

Really? Surely something with unknown dangers should be banned until it is cleared as 'safe' ?
    That is indeed what the law says. Manufacturer are under an obligation to place only safe goods on the market not wait until they are proved unsafe.

You could argue that must mean these things are therefore safe, however there's an awful lot of work going on around the longer term effects of these things than the general public are aware of.

That's aside from all the arguments around them normalising smoking as a behaviour of course.
  • Options
    Sod it. Why don't all smokers just carry on smoking cigarettes. Which are proven to kill you. Then once e cigs are deemed safe, then use them. By that time you probably will be more or less dead. *sigh*

I think the reason the government haven't done anything as of yet, is because they need to see if they can place a tax on just nicotine.
  • Options
    True I think. The government know that cigarette smoking is on a rapid decline. This also means that taxation and revenue from smoking is also on the decline. They cannot ban smoking, not only because of public outcry from the smokers, but because it will leave a massive black hole in their tax revenues. As soon as the current studies are completed and cleared as 'safe', you can bet that there will be duty added to all ecigs and other related materials. Once these things get the green light, all of the people that are considering switching, but are unsure on the longer term affects, will start to move over leaving a deficit in cigarette revenues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

True I think. The government know that cigarette smoking is on a rapid decline. This also means that taxation and revenue from smoking is also on the decline. They cannot ban smoking, not only because of public outcry from the smokers, but because it will leave a massive black hole in their tax revenues. As soon as the current studies are completed and cleared as 'safe', you can bet that there will be duty added to all ecigs and other related materials. Once these things get the green light, all of the people that are considering switching, but are unsure on the longer term affects, will start to move over leaving a deficit in cigarette revenues.

Couple of points. If you already know the results of the studies going on into the safety of these devices you may wish to share them with WHO are not exactly fans of e-cigarettes telegraph.co.uk/journalists/sarah-knapton/11056964/Ban-toxic-e-cigarettes-indoors-says-World-Health-Organisation.html

I'm also not sure there's a single smoker out there who is waiting, fag in hand, for e-cigs to be given the all clear as safe before switching. It's clearly nonsensical to continue poisoning yourself whilst waiting for something that may never happen.

Lastly, a lot of the publicity around e-cigarettes being less harmful, an aid to quoting, them not aimed at children, etc is financed by the big tobacco companies. Coincidently they are also heavy investors in the e-cigarette market. One might say they are just Benson & Hedging their bets...
  • Options
    I just read that Telegraph article. Interesting.
  • Options

I use my e cig at half time, outside the east stand, causing no harm to no one, got told to stop using it
    by a steward at the Cardiff game, how stupid is that ! will be more discreet now.

I had the same told her to piss off and do a proper job like stop people actually blatantly smoking real fags
  • Options

Jints said:

nobody knows what the new generation of e cigarettes mass produced in China will only be producing vapour regardless of whether they are battered operated or driven by pit ponies on a treadmill.
    The stuff you inhale is the e-liquid which you can source from a large number of British companies, onepoundeliquid for example. It's not the mass produced Chinese battery that is inhaled, the battery just turns the liquid into vapour.
  • Options

Jints said:

nobody knows what the new generation of e cigarettes mass produced in China will only be producing vapour regardless of whether they are battered operated or driven by pit ponies on a treadmill.
    The stuff you inhale is the e-liquid which you can source from a large number of British companies, onepoundeliquid for example. It's not the mass produced Chinese battery that is inhaled, the battery just turns the liquid into vapour.

Sorry but you are missing my point. We don't yet know if what comes out of e cigarettes is harmful. I am basing this on the current British Medical Association advice to GP's. The jury is still out. As for Chinese copies of a more quality e cigarette for want of a better description. I will use the analogy of cheap Chinese imitation phone chargers that explode. Nothing wrong with a phone charger but a cheap version won't work or be as safe.

• Options
    Simple answer designated smoking area at the back of the east stand and the other stands open the gates at half time like they do at reading everyone's happy
  • Options

Couple of points. If you already know the results of the studies going on into the safety of these devices you may wish to share them with WHO are not exactly fans of e-cigarettes telegraph.co.uk/journalists/sarah-knapton/11056964/Ban-toxic-e-cigarettes-indoors-says-World-Health-Organisation.html

I'm also not sure there's a single smoker out there who is waiting, fag in hand, for e-cigs to be given the all clear as safe before switching. It's clearly nonsensical to continue poisoning yourself whilst waiting for something that may never happen.

Lastly, a lot of the publicity around e-cigarettes being less harmful, an aid to quoting, them not aimed at children, etc is financed by the big tobacco companies. Coincidently they are also heavy investors in the e-cigarette market. One might say they are just Benson & Hedging their bets...
    You are correct, so let's have a look at some alternative info. It's good to show both sides of an argument I feel...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29061169

There are plenty of new vapers out there who've stayed away from them due to not fully knowing the long term risks. I've been part of several vaping forums for a few years and there have been plenty of stories from new vapers that have said as much.

The ecigs that I use are not funded by tobacco companies and neither is the company I buy the liquid off. It's true that the tobacco industry is trying to introduce new vaping products, but at this point they are sub par and not very popular with regular vapers.

However some new users DO try these products and do not get on with them as they are inferior products and quickly these people run back to their normal fags. As you are putting across conspiracy theories about the tobacco industries involvement then maybe you can already see one in what I have detailed...

Bottom line is. Ecigs are safer than fags. Ecigs may have longer term health risks but probably not as bad as fags. In the interest of public health surely it's better for people to switch from a VERY dangerous product to something less dangerous?

Ecigs are designed with smokers in mind. Research suggests that the outright majority of users are former smokers. Similar research also suggests that kids are not latching on to ecigs as they don't have the cool factor.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Although the previous comment is tongue in cheek, I have/had smoked for the past 25 years. I decided on one of those vapour liquid things.
    After using it for around ten times, realised what a c*** I must look, and stopped.
    I then applied the same logic with normal cigarettes and have now gone 4 months, 12 days, 4 hours and 27 minutes without one.
  • Options
    Iv not smoked for a year now been using an e cig ever since