Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lawrie Wilson

Comments

• Options
    The only thing odd was the fact that we let him go in the first place ;-)
  • Options
    he's a disaster at right back
  • Options
    if he took a stroll to the local barber id probably think he was a decent player.
  • Options
    incidentally if morrison grew a mullet he'd probably be pants.. imho ;-)
  • Options
    Quality player
  • Options

Kap10 said:

cafctom said:

Kap10 said:

Was not really given much of a chance by quite a number whilst playing right back but Powell ignored them and played him in his preferred position. Sometimes we judge too quickly. Fortunately Wilson got on with the job and is now on par with solly as a fans favourite.

Assume this is a joke? I started the original Wilson thread defending him when getting pelters, but no way is he as popular as Solly. Only question was why did Powell for so long insist his natural position was RB when the previous season he was the best RM in league 1?
    I don't think Powell was 'insisting' that he was a RB - but that was the job that he was originally brought in to do as we had no back up for Solly and we had two natural right wingers in Green and Wagstaff.
    He was an odd purchase, if the intention was to get cover at RB, because is isn't a RB, but rather an midfielder, who impressed going forward last season. Most midfielders can cover at full back, it doesn't mean that they'll be particularly good there though.
    No odder than getting in on loan a centre half who occasionally plays left back to play left back.
    Exactly, Wilson is more than a midfielder who can cover full back, he is comfortable and experienced. I agree he is better RM but he can do a good job RB now he's settled. Wasn't an odd purchase at all
    An emergency RB, but no more, and certainly not good enough to be second choice RB long term, especially against decent wingers, as his strengths are in his attacking play.

I agree about Seabourne, with all the LB's around the country, was a young CB really the best we could have done!
  • Options
    Wilson's good and could get better. Things to improve; heading and discipline (too many daft bookings). Good points; fitness, energy, work ethic, attitude and could be a new John Robinson.
  • Options
    I was one of the first to criticise the signing of Wilson as having seen him play for boro 30+ times plus feedback from a mate who works at at the club and has seen him train for the last few years, I felt that he had too many weaknesses in either position to be successful in the champ.
    I'm pleased to say that after a shakey start, he's proved me wrong! In my defence, he is a very different player than he was at boro - I think he's lost that bigger/biggest fish in a small pond attitude and his work ethic and decision making seems a lot better.
  • Options
    There's a 3-point swing in the player marks (partially thanks to me, but...) and so I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Wilson is a very good Championship right-back and an attacking threat who had a great game tonight. Cheers ;)
  • Options
    Wilson was excellent tonight - worked his socks off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

There's a 3-point swing in the player marks (partially thanks to me, but...) and so I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Wilson is a very good Championship right-back and an attacking threat who had a great game tonight. Cheers ;)

Agreed. Was excellent tonight and has been a more than able deputy for Solly

• Options
    outstanding tonight. Well done Lawrie.
  • Options
    Pushed JC close for mom. Saved a certain goal with first half clearance and nearly scored.
  • Options
    To be fair, it would have been his own-goal :P
  • Options
    Had a bit of a tete-a-tete with some Covered End Idiots last night.

Group of about 10 singing "F*ck Off Wilson" in between the CAFC chant. Can't believe the mentality of some of our fans - especially last night when the atmosphere was great for the main part.

Limited ability in my opinion but never hides and has something about him in the final third.
  • Options
    Good game last night and that performance is required on a regular basis
  • Options
    good second half poor first half
  • Options
    WSS said:

Group of about 10 singing "F*ck Off Wilson" in between the CAFC chant. Can't believe the mentality of some of our fans - especially last night when the atmosphere was great for the main part.

Limited ability in my opinion but never hides and has something about him in the final third.

That's absolutely ridiculous, why do these people even come to games ?
  • Options
    Honestly thought I could hear "f off Wilson" from the West stand. Convinced myself I was imagining it but can't have been. Pathetic.
  • Options
    always give his best and tries hard .. the proverbial 100%er ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

Yes idiot was a row in front of me and 10 or so seats along stupid chants whole game thought he was funny, nothing but a knob, was close to going over to him to tell him to turn it in

• Options

Pushed JC close for mom. Saved a certain goal with first half clearance and nearly scored.

From the North Upper, I think he may have good a good hand on it before clearing! ;-)

Thought he was superb last night and loved how much that goal, with his great cross for the assist, obviously meant to him.

CL is the limit of my social media (don't do bookface or twatter), but I can't stand the trolls who give abuse there, or as WSS points out in the North Lower last night. Some real idiots around who need to grow up a bit.

Anyway...well done Lawrie, great performance from you and the team last night and meant I left the ground feeling a lot happier than in recent games. Hopefully the start of a bit of confidence returning and the team pushing on.
  • Options
    Lacks some quality but can't be faulted for commitment. Covered an awful lot of ground last night
  • Options
    He's trying to make his mark on the team and has stepped up his game well to fill the gap left by Solly. Once Solly is fit, he will need to earn the shirt back as Wilson is growing in the right back roll at the moment. Sometimes defensively shakey, but positive going forward. Won the penalty at Watford and last night set up the goal. Deserves credit for the assist last night as most players would have probably attempted a shot rather then cross it.
  • Options
    Really good game last night. He may not be Gary Neville but he is certainly good enough for the Champ when he plays like that.
  • Options

WSS said:

Yes idiot was a row in front of me and 10 or so seats along stupid chants whole game thought he was funny, nothing but a knob, was close to going over to him to tell him to turn it in

You must sit near me then.

Unfortunately nothing new. Every week's the same, they celebrate a Wilson f*ck up more than a Charlton goal. Cretins.
  • Options
    Wilson has been my player of the season.
  • Options
    I was in North Upper and some of the morons up there make me despair, heard singing of "F*ck of Wilson" and "We hate Wilson" obviously no acknowledgement of the cross for the goal. When the fans were singing "Chrissy Powell, Chrissy Powell" these idiots were adding "you're a ****".
    I took my seventeen year old daughter who couldn't believe that these people have the cheek to call themselves fans when nothing positive comes out of there mouths just abuse and criticism.
    It was such a shame as 95% of the fans there last night were fantastic and there to support and encourage a team and manager who are going through a tough time and surprise surprise the team responded to that. You only have to look at the players comments on Twitter to see how much they appreciated it and the positive effect it had, unfortunately this 5% doesn't have a level of intelligence that is able to understand that and they will carry on abusing.
    Ok rant over and back to work :)
  • Options
    The Wilson haters wouldnt happen to be H block in the north upper would they?
  • Options
    Yes that's the area